Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how to get anti-freeze into flushing system..

malibu.c.c

hi

i have a 350 monsoon engine ,closed cooling.

for winterize i was told to flush engine with anti freeze to get it into the risers so they wont rust .

i have a flush system on the rear of boat were i plug hose for fake a lake,but how do i get anti freeze in there??

Not sure if we have the same type but my pick-up is on the bottom and then comes up through a 2" hose to the v-drive so I always take the hose off right there and have a separate piece of hose I put on that goes up to the back of the boat so I can run it on the hose to get the engine warm then shut it down open up about 4 bottles of anti-freeze pour some in have someone else start the boat while i pour all four jugs of anti-freeze in then shut motor off once last one is poured in and by that time its made its way through the whole system. Take the hose off put the pick up hose back on and done. Been doing it that way since I bought it new in '01 and never had a problem since.

Not sure if we have the same type but my pick-up is on the bottom and then comes up through a 2" hose to the v-drive so I always take the hose off right there and have a separate piece of hose I put on that goes up to the back of the boat so I can run it on the hose to get the engine warm then shut it down open up about 4 bottles of anti-freeze pour some in have someone else start the boat while i pour all four jugs of anti-freeze in then shut motor off once last one is poured in and by that time its made its way through the whole system. Take the hose off put the pick up hose back on and done. Been doing it that way since I bought it new in '01 and never had a problem since.

That was painful to read.

You have a transom flush? That is not the same as a fake a lake. Faking a Lake is when you put the plunger hose adapter thingy UNDER the boat and use the regular raw water intake, exact same as you would if you were out on the lake.

Transom flush. If you have a transom hose flush, sacrife a crappy garden hose and cut it off within 3' of the male end...then take your 3' section, screw the male end into the flush fitting, and take the cut off end and jam it into the bottom of a gallon of your antifreeze. Start the engine, it'll suck it right up thru the hose.

Ensure you have up to 5 gallons on the swim platform or where ever, already opened, caps removed so you can quickly move that hose to jam into the next full gallon when it starts to run dry, it can go quick. So start the engine and hop back there quickly and watch it suck the antifreeze.

Edited by nyryan2001

I something similar, but pour the bottles into a 5 gallon bucket (with a bulk head and valve at the bottom) and let the bucket empty. Shut the motor down and put it away :biggrin:

I'm sorry for the thread hijacking but why use anti-freeze? If you don't do it right the water left behind can freeze. If it gets too cold the anti-freeze can freeze. Either case results in a new block and a big bill. You have to dispose of the anti-freeze or at least store it over the summer. On top of all that the manufacturer doesn't advocate using anti-freeze.

If you drain the block properly, which is pretty simple, there is no liquid to freeze.

Someone change my mind...

You have a transom flush? That is not the same as a fake a lake. Faking a Lake is when you put the plunger hose adapter thingy UNDER the boat and use the regular raw water intake, exact same as you would if you were out on the lake.

Transom flush. If you have a transom hose flush, sacrife a crappy garden hose and cut it off within 3' of the male end...then take your 3' section, screw the male end into the flush fitting, and take the cut off end and jam it into the bottom of a gallon of your antifreeze. Start the engine, it'll suck it right up thru the hose.

Ensure you have up to 5 gallons on the swim platform or where ever, already opened, caps removed so you can quickly move that hose to jam into the next full gallon when it starts to run dry, it can go quick. So start the engine and hop back there quickly and watch it suck the antifreeze.

thks!! that sound easy and simple !! it just sucks it in neer knew thats! can i use anytype of anti freeze for this?

use the pink non-toxic stuff you see for RVs...that way when you dewinterize you dont pollute your local storm drains if you use a hose, or kill all the fish at your local boat ramp when you put in. The yellow, green ethylene glycol AF is very toxic and poisonous to drip out over the ground or into the water. The pink stuff, not a problem.

buy 6 gals just in case, likely you'll use 4-5, keep going till you see bright pink antifreeze coming out BOTH exhaust pipes and the thru hull for the prop shaft... then shut down... and follow the drain procedures in the manuals...exhaust manifolds, tranny/vdrive etc etc.. dont forget to winterize your ballast tanks and pumps!

You need to have the engine up to temp prior, if the thermostat isn't open prior then you're wasting time and money.

use the pink non-toxic stuff you see for RVs...that way when you dewinterize you dont pollute your local storm drains if you use a hose, or kill all the fish at your local boat ramp when you put in. The yellow, green ethylene glycol AF is very toxic and poisonous to drip out over the ground or into the water. The pink stuff, not a problem.

buy 6 gals just in case, likely you'll use 4-5, keep going till you see bright pink antifreeze coming out BOTH exhaust pipes and the thru hull for the prop shaft... then shut down... and follow the drain procedures in the manuals...exhaust manifolds, tranny/vdrive etc etc.. dont forget to winterize your ballast tanks and pumps!

Water freezes and expands roughly 10% by volume. So as long as your tanks are drained your good.

How do you winterize ballast tanks and pumps?

I have always used anitfreeze as I drained my old mastercraft and completely followed the manufacturer's winterizing instructions and still had to replace a manifold one year.

This is my first year to winterize my malibu echelon. The place I used to put a funnel on and pour the antifreeze in is at a different angle than my old boat and doesn't look like I can do it the same way. I have no fake lake or transom flush.

Can someone explain how best to get the antifreeze in (as I don't think that was addressed in the thread). Thanks.

How do you winterize ballast tanks and pumps?

my previous dealer said for winterization, do your best to drain the tanks via the pumps as best as possible, then pull the cartridge on each pump for a few seconds to release and drain any remaining water in the lines, that may end up filling at the pump and freeze there...

Seems like in spring, folks come on here with weird cracks in their tank fittings, right at the drains and fittings to the tanks. I wonder if some of those cracks are from freeze damage... those fittings are 3/4" or so, hard plastic, not very big, and dont allow much room for freeze expansion.

WBL Skier,

I use the same method as 68 slalom. Large bucket with a valve at the bottom, hose attached from it to the raw intake hose from the thru hull. I can take a picture if your interested. Your not on WBL (White Bear Lake) MN are you?

Thanks. Yea, I'm on White Bear in MN.

WBL Skier,

I use the same method as 68 slalom. Large bucket with a valve at the bottom, hose attached from it to the raw intake hose from the thru hull. I can take a picture if your interested. Your not on WBL (White Bear Lake) MN are you?

I'll get you some pictures. If you are in a bind when the snow flies you can always borrow mine, I am 15 minutes away.

PM if you need any help, I'll do what I can.

Brett