Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion Tower

StarOneWake

Folding Illusion Tower  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fold you Illusion Tower down after every time you use the boat?

I keep my boat on a lift, so no, only twice a year.

I've replaced my rear bushings with custom brass ones, and have metal bearings to replace the front plastic swivel bearing.

It's rock sold though now.

we go out 3-4 times a week. we lower the tower and raise it every time to clear the garage doors. been doing this for the past 3 years - no issues as far as the tower or bushings go - those replacement bushings made of brass sounds like a fantastic off-season project.

I have an RV height shelter that my boat stays in so I never lower the illusion tower. I have done it only once and it was a major pain. I don't have pins for mine, I have Allen bolts. And when it's lowered it rests on the steering wheel... Not good. So I just never put it down. Also, the cover won't go on with it down and my boat is kept on a farm where there are numerous rats, mice, coyotes, raccons and birds. With the cover off my boat would be a mess. So far I've never had trouble with wildlife(knock on wood)since the cover is so tight.

We never fold ours. Boat gets stored in an RV height garage.

Is the poll to get feedback for your new mirror? It looks sweet BTW. If we didn't have a samson, i'd be interested in one.

Being ble to rotate it is key. We rotate it out of the way to trailer everytime.

We never fold ours. Boat gets stored in an RV height garage.

Is the poll to get feedback for your new mirror? It looks sweet BTW. If we didn't have a samson, i'd be interested in one.

Being ble to rotate it is key. We rotate it out of the way to trailer everytime.

Saw the new menace mirror yesterday online. First thing I noticed was no hinge bolt. Samson uses the hinge bolt so you can quickly remove the mirror for tower folding, but leave the clamp on your tower. Mine folds all the way down with clamp still on. The big issue with the hinge bolt however is it loosens on it's own. Probably boat vibration and wind causing it, but even with 2 coats of blue loctite on the bolt, I still have to retighten 1-2 times per outing. It sux when I miss seeing a trick as the driver because the mirror arm has moved on it's own.

Looks like menace has resolved this, but the compromise is the entire assembly must be removed to collapse tower ( a fair trade in my situation, never needing to collapse the tower). I wonder if the constant taking on and off would eventually scuff up the tower finish though?

I have an RV height shelter that my boat stays in so I never lower the illusion tower. I have done it only once and it was a major pain. I don't have pins for mine, I have Allen bolts. And when it's lowered it rests on the steering wheel... Not good. So I just never put it down. Also, the cover won't go on with it down and my boat is kept on a farm where there are numerous rats, mice, coyotes, raccons and birds. With the cover off my boat would be a mess. So far I've never had trouble with wildlife(knock on wood)since the cover is so tight.

Even when you adjust the steering wheel up or down it still doesn't clear the steering wheel?

We lower our 07 23LSV every time (3x a week) to fit into the garage. I had to make a stand to keep the Sampson bracket from resting in the dash it has worked perfectly since new and I have the tower loaded with 4 XM650, 2 surf racks, 2 spinner board racks, and the extended Bimini. And yes I raise and lower it by myself every time to get into a 8' garage door.