Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Keelguard Scuff Buster - Anyone have one?

Murphy8166

Yup, I've got one on my boat. Get the larger one and make sure to pre-form it before you take off the covering on the 3M tape. Sticks damn well and I think it improves the look. I have midnight blue on that section of the boat and it was showing scuffs, this covered it all.

I'll try and get a pic of the XL on my boat. I am glad I went with it. Measure out a piece of paper those sizes and place them on your hull and you will see that the XL is perfect.

I have a black hull and no issues with the roller scuffing (clear plastic roller)... buy it for looks as you won't need the function

I beg to differ (without arguing). I am using a clear plastic roller and it "can" scuff the hull. Our water is not the cleanest after a storm and there can be quite a bit of blowing dust where I launch sometimes. Both of those contribute to a dirty roller or a dirty hull. That will scratch a hull. Hated to put the scuff buster on because I thought it would look bad, but it actually fit really well and protects completely.

I put one on my ebony '10, 23' LSV and covered all 11' of the V portion of the hull @ $220.00. It has made a significant difference, especially for when it gets trailered in too shallow of water. I normally hate to beach and when I do I leave it float when I can but "I got voted off that island this year by the CFO" and had to compromise! So far not one new scuff or abrasion after one season of use, 110 hours. The roller used to touch the bow under the rub rail and scuff it and I even upgraded to good non-marring one, it doesn't rub on the hull any more. I did have to cut a hole in the guard to put the bow eye through but that was a no brainer and easy to cut. Measure twice, cut once. At first I was hesitant to put it on because I thought it would look bad but my OCD got the better of me. The black on black almost completely disappears especially if you 303 it and the peace of mind is more than worth it. Recommendations; get it to cover the entire v part of the hull, and just like body work the prep is the key to a good finish. As recommended I used a rubber dead fall hammer to ensure I got it all to stick. Easy mod, good luck.

I misread the post and thought I read Keel shield not Keel guard. I considered a Guard but on my black hull the SS Guard (had one from an old boat I didn't put on) just looked too out of place "wrong shape" and didn't cover the entire area where I had issues anyway.

martinarcher

There was one on my Skier. I liked it a lot and it kept the hull safe. I never beached or touched the bottom of that boat on anything but the trailer, but if I had to beach a Bu I would certainly want one of those on it. Thumbup.gif

• 6 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread...

I keep getting roller scuff marks on the bow of my boat above the D ring. I was thinking of trying this product from Bakes site but wanted to see if anyone else has used it and what you thought:

https://www.bakesonline.com/bow-guard-scuff-buster-stainless-steel-by-keelguard.html

One question I have is if this is a common problem or if I'm not loading my boat correctly. I walk the boat on and then use the winch to pull the boat the remaining foot or so. I secure the D ring snugly into the bow roller on the trailer. 

I've still got a lot to learn so any advice would be appreciated.

4 minutes ago, CharlieBeaU said:

Resurrecting an old thread...

I keep getting roller scuff marks on the bow of my boat above the D ring. I was thinking of trying this product from Bakes site but wanted to see if anyone else has used it and what you thought:

https://www.bakesonline.com/bow-guard-scuff-buster-stainless-steel-by-keelguard.html

One question I have is if this is a common problem or if I'm not loading my boat correctly. I walk the boat on and then use the winch to pull the boat the remaining foot or so. I secure the D ring snugly into the bow roller on the trailer. 

I've still got a lot to learn so any advice would be appreciated.

What kind of bow roller does your trailer have? I switched over to a Stoltz roller last year after getting sick of the same thing and I'm happy with it.

Went Stotz as well, but the trailer (BM) bow roller guide arms construction kind of offset the effectiveness. To eliminate the gap between the 3 rollers which allowed the bow to contact the vertical guide arms I had to crank on the nut on the roller bolt to close the gap distance. Doing this caused the rollers to not roll as well, which will occasionally mar the bow. If I could find a wider and larger OD center roller that would fill the center gap and larger OD outer rollers that would create more standoff from the hull  it would all but eliminate the problem. May look into to making some myself. In the mean time I am just going to have to continue floating it on and off the trailer which does help.

So, here's a noob follow up question: If my rollers are contacting 4"+ above the bow's D ring when I walk the boat on, do I have my trailer too far into the water or not far enough?

Edited by CharlieBeaU
Probably not 6". More like 4".