Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

buying boat and need it shipped????

Woodshed

Hello,

New here,,, hello!

I'm buying my first boat. It is a Malibu Echelon 1996 and I'm excited as all get out!! Anyway, I need to move it about 1000 miles to my location in St. Louis. Does anybody have any suggestions for shipping? How about flying down and renting a vehicle to drive it back. If I have to I'll do the roundtrip, but really don't wanna.....

Thanks

Welcome to the crew! Gotta love the Echelon LX.

I would just do the drive. Not far enough to go thru all the hoops, plus the expense will probably be 1/10th of what you paid for the boat.

I used UShip last fall to ship our 04 VLX. Had the boat shipped from Lake Havasu, AZ to Northern IN. It was just over a 2,000 mile trip and it was done fairly cheap considering the distance traveled and cost of fuel.

I drove from Cincinnati to just outside of Tulsa to pick up my boat. I know, you're thinking "That's nuts!". Well you're right, but it was also one of the coolest things I have done. The excitement of going to get it and tow it back is far better than having a shipping company dropping it off at your doorstep. Of course, this is my opinion, but I had a blast doing it. 1700 miles round trip and saved about $300 in comparison to what a shipping company wanted.

I've done both. And while everything went fine both times, there are definitely advantages to doing it each way.

It's worthwhile for you to get a picture of the boat, and accurate dimensions of it, then setup an account on Uship & get estimates on what the shipping will cost you. Then compare that with what you think it will cost you in gas, airfare, fuel, & rental expenses. At least then you can make an educated decision on which method will work for you. One thing about Uship, you have the ability to request that the boat & trailer be hauled on it's own tires, or put on another trailer for the big trip home.

Also keep in mind things like the weather conditions, your own truck's towing ability, any issues you might have with lights, trailer tires, whether or not the boat is covered or wrapped, your own schedule, etc.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I used Uship and they provided great support after I had issues with one of their shipper members. DO NOT pay a deposit to the shipper up front. There are plenty of shippers that will do it without deposit. I thought it was a great service.