Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel tank fuel filter

blaster72

Hello out there, First time posting anywhere so please bear with me. We have had our 99 response for three great years, not one major problem until last week. The engine starts and runs but cuts out at different RPMS but only under load. Strange whine since the problem started. Changed the fuel filter, same problem. Other crew members said to check the screen on the intake side of the fuel pump and I will, just wanted to know if there was a filter on the pickup tube in the fuel tank? Also wandering on the HP of my engine (Monsoon I 1.1) PFI 350. Any help would be great. Thanks

there are two fuel filters on your boat, one near the tank and one on the engine, plus the screen on the fuel pump, which would cause this. i've also encountered this on lakes above 5500 feet in elevation, poor power, engine cutting out or misfiring, no top end and it won't plane. or you've gotton some bad gas or water got into your tank. an alcohol additive will help with this problem. hopefully it's not your MCD unit that went out.

You mention a strange whine. That could be your fuel pump struggling -- put your ear close while underway and see if that's the noise source. Also, It sure couldn't hurt to start by replacing both your tank and fuel pump filter. Next step would be to clean the inlet screen on the fuel pump. A fuel pressure gauge may give you some insight into the health of your fuel pump -- there's a nib just past the fuel pump you can screw into and validate your pump is keeping pressure (check the shop book on the pressure but it's probably 40 psi like my '98 monsoon).

Thanks for your help, found and changed the hidden filter by the tank. The filter was fairly plugged, hope that was the problem. We board at redfish lake, near stanley idaho and the water temp just hit 54!!!!! Im going to winterize this weekend and try again next year. Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!