Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

hooked or un-hooked

Vettesetter

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill_AirJunky

• jkendallmsce

• Vettesetter

• WoodyBC

Hooked, it has to be done no matter what so why not just do it at the bottom of the ramp. We usually just lean over the bow and do it from there so we don't get wet :whistle:

Your on. I'll get you some video of it. I think we're pullin out Saturday to head to Coeur d'Alene for the dealer's last hurrah. I'll probably put it back in Liberty Sunday & I'll make it happen for ya. I won't be surprised, done it many times already & never had the boat move at all. Should be a pretty boring video.

OK, I hope you don't spray Pledge on those bunks. :Tease3:

A few years ago when the water level was way down at our lake I used lots of silicone spray on the bunks in order to get the boat on/off the trailer. I sold the boat soon after that. It did not cross my mind until just now that maybe I should have mentioned the slippery bunks to the new owner. I hope he is a hooker. One more thing to think about if you buy a used boat. Just hook it.

Every horror story I've seen or heard with a boat coming off the bunks involved silicone spray, liquid rollers, pledge, or some such nonsense sprayed on the bunks. Friction is your friend until the boat gets wet.

That said, I typically keep the winch hooked until launch, unless its one of the rare occasions that we are at a crowded ramp with a huge line and I feel like pulling a high-speed Rockford Files and watching all the jaws drop. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

That said, I typically keep the winch hooked until launch, unless its one of the rare occasions that we are at a crowded ramp with a huge line and I feel like pulling a high-speed Rockford Files and watching all the jaws drop. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

bwahahaha!

this is when it's most satisfying to go un-hooked. A bunch of idiots fiddle-effing on the ramps...swoop in, drop, drive off. People look at you like you're Einstein in a pickup.

:likeaboss:

bwahahaha!

this is when it's most satisfying to go un-hooked. A bunch of idiots fiddle-effing on the ramps...swoop in, drop, drive off. People look at you like you're Einstein in a pickup.

:likeaboss:

You guys are nuts. If I ever do it I'll have a toothpick in my mouth. I'll be more like Rapid Roy. Or Jerry the Racecar Driver.

Hooked. Don't want to be on Americas Funniest Videos!

If its a roller trailer then sure, bunks it isn't going to happen unless you have other severe driving problems.

Always unhooked whether its my Ranger, the 30' Dancer or the Malibu.

well, launched yesterday with just the safety strap hooked. I think I'll do it that way from now on. literally took 20 seconds to start the boat, jump up front to unhook it and get back into the seat for the push off from the truck. worked just fine since the safety strap is easier to unhook than the winch strap. had a friend on the boat say "damn, that was fast. it usually takes people a few minutes to launch a boat." so....I've converted, keeping at least the safety strap on. :innocent:

well, launched yesterday with just the safety strap hooked. I think I'll do it that way from now on. literally took 20 seconds to start the boat, jump up front to unhook it and get back into the seat for the push off from the truck. worked just fine since the safety strap is easier to unhook than the winch strap. had a friend on the boat say "damn, that was fast. it usually takes people a few minutes to launch a boat." so....I've converted, keeping at least the safety strap on. :innocent:

:thumbup:

If its a roller trailer then sure, bunks it isn't going to happen unless you have other severe driving problems.

Always unhooked whether its my Ranger, the 30' Dancer or the Malibu.

I know, it's funny.

I'm one of the guys who insists on driving with the transom straps. And yet if your ramp is as flat as mine, unhooking everything is so not a problem.

I wish I'd remembered to video it. But I launched yesterday morning. Unhooked everything.... and yet the boat didn't go anywhere. Backed in till the boat was floating, still not goin anywhere. Got out of the truck & walked into the water, jumped in the boat drove it off the trailer & into the slip. Definitely didn't save me any time at all in this case, just wasn't a necessary step.

If I was at our public ramp, then I run it down hooked up, it's just too steep not to.

I'm a Hooker.

Boat is too expensive, too many idiots on the boat ramp, and it seriously just takes a min to unhook winch strap. Wife is usually still getting the baby situated and telling everyone to sit-down before she backs the boat off anyway. I'm done before everyone else is ready.

Transom unhooked, Bow chain unhooked, Winch strap with about 6-12" of play.

I back in until the boat slides back a little, get out, start boat & unhook it (or if I'm launching myself, climb into the boat, start it & unhook it) then easily back off. Typically takes about 30 seconds with the wife or 1 min if I'm by myself.

Because of the various ramps we launch at, there is no easy recipe to know when the boat is in 'far enough' to make it easy to back off the trailer. Also don't have to worry about getting the boat back on if it won't start for some reason.

I think the whole hooked and unhooked thing depends entirely on you're ramp.

You're asking for problems if you're on a steep ramp and you're backing down unhooked at the bow eye. People don't realise that if you just drove through a small puddle at 30mph on the way to the ramp you could have given the bunks enough moisture to become slippery. Have fun being "that guy".