Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

hooked or un-hooked

Vettesetter

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill_AirJunky

• jkendallmsce

• Vettesetter

• WoodyBC

There is an old thread that details some scary situations on this topic. This summer I saw 3 boats on the ground not quite to the water yet...

Always have and always will keep it hooked until it's fired up...

unhooked, i drive my boat right off the trailer. It is a pain in the a** to have the tow vehicle driver or someone else come back and unhook it. Faster launches and loads=more ski time.

Hooked on the front and myself or who ever is driving leans over and unhooks it.. Dont want to be that guy that says I dont need it, then my boat is on the ground and I am eating my words.. It only takes two seconds so why risk it...

depends on the ramp for me. one ramp I always go down unhooked, another is WAY too steep and I leave it hooked.

Same here. Usually hooked on a public ramp.

But we launch off our soft, sandy beach all the time & it's so flat there is no chance of loosing the boat on it.... unless your on an EZ Loader & then it serves ya right. :rofl:

Really depends on who is in the boat and who is back up the tow vehicle. If its me and my dad unhooked....all about getting on the water. And really the angle of the launch. I always unhook the rear straps and keep the front hooked the majority of the time.

Always leaning over as we are backing down the ramp unhooking, so when we hit the water and my wife hits the brakes it sends me straight back out away from all the other boats.

If you ever have had to push a boat off a trailer on dry bunks you wouldn't worry about loosing it. Unless you have a steep long bumpy ramp or have to get on the brakes hard it's not going anywhere.

Unhook rear straps and safety chain up front ( before getting on ramp). Leave strap till transom is over water but I can still unhook strap and keep my feet dry. Back in the rest of the way and let it float off for boat driver to take over.

I may start loosening the front strap enough that the boat driver could easily unhook it. If it started to slip,( I don't think it ever has) the strap would catch it. That way I don't have to get out of the truck. :yahoo:

Hooked as I'm usually doing it myself. Now that I think about, I always leave it hooked even when I do have a trust worthy friend to back down the trailer.

Has ANYONE ever seen their vdrive or dd slide off the trailer while loading or unloading?? I would think it would have to one pretty damn steep ramp to slide off.

HOw about traiilering down the hiway??? DO you strap the stern of the boat down?

Unhook rear straps and safety chain up front ( before getting on ramp). Leave strap till transom is over water but I can still unhook strap and keep my feet dry. Back in the rest of the way and let it float off for boat driver to take over.

I may start loosening the front strap enough that the boat driver could easily unhook it. If it started to slip,( I don't think it ever has) the strap would catch it. That way I don't have to get out of the truck. :yahoo:

My dad normally backs in and i unhook the boat from inside the boat so no one gets wet. :thumbup:

Once the boat is unhooked i start the boat up just to make sure the engine starts and everything is good to go then my old man backs in and hits the brakes and the boat is off the trailer. People look at us like my dad is crazy because he doesnt get out of the truck but we find it easier all around.

Has ANYONE ever seen their vdrive or dd slide off the trailer while loading or unloading?? I would think it would have to one pretty damn steep ramp to slide off.

Yes. This summer I was launching my buddies bu. He always unhooks everything before he backs down (I keep the front hooked). This time he put liquid rollers on the bunks and unhooked the boat. As I backed the boat down, I saw it sliding off the trailer. I kept backing up and it came off the trailer in the water - if I would have stopped, it would have slid off the trailer onto the ramp.

HOw about traiilering down the hiway??? DO you strap the stern of the boat down?

Driving down W Lake Sammamish Pkwy near Vasa Park about 35 - 40 mph with a boat in front of me. As we go over some bumps in the road, I CLEARLY saw the truck between the boat & trailer. :Doh:

So I tow with the bow strap & cable, and the stern straps all hooked.

We lost an X-star on the Mercer Island boat ramp (under I-90) one time. It was an AirSanta run, in like 1998. Freezing temps, I'm sure the bunks were iced up. Dealer unhooked the boat & it slid off the trailer before he ever got in the truck. We managed to winch it back on the trailer. Only scraped up the rudder a little bit. :crazy: