Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would you rather drive your boat or watch the action in the back ?

PrimeData

I insist on driving my Bu when pulling kids or checking out a new lake. But when there is a new "lake sacrifice" learning to ski (or whatever), chicks in bikinis wakeboarding (possible equipment failure) or my buddies trying to kill themselves with new tricks, I'd rather be watching the action than driving.

What about the rest of ya ? Would you rather drive or watch ?

I love to let other people drive my boat, especially those who don't own their own or never driven an inboard. Seeing other people have fun and doing new things is more fun for me than having my own fun. I just make sure I take them out to deep clean water.

I like both.

My wife loves to drive and I enjoy relaxing for the ride.

Both my boys like to drive and are learning to pull skiers and wakeboarders. They are both mid-20's and are getting better and better.

If i never let them drive, how would they ever learn to drive? :)

shared duty with my crew - we all rotate thru the drivers chair depending upon what we're doing - surfing, my 11 year old drives and the rest of us are stacked on the surf side. when mom's behind the boat boarding the 13 year old drives and we're all moving about cleaning up the wake or operating the camera. it's a mixed bag, getting everyone familiar with the drivers seat is important to us

I'd rather watch the action and the fun. Driving is pretty serious to me.

However, I can't stand being in the boat with someone who doesn't know how to drive, it's like a water torture to me.

So with certain groups I'll just watch/spot and help out in the back of the boat, usually those drivers don't want anyone else driving anyway. But with other groups I just instantly volunteer, and it's kind of a given that I'll be the driver.

Putting around, I like to let someone else drive. If there's a good slalom skier, I want to watch.

If it's kids or or my sister or her friends skiing, I want to drive. My barefoot buddy, I gotta drive !

Steve B.

If I have a good and capable driver I don't mind relaxing one bit! That said I do enjoy driving my boat.

Docking/ anchoring/ trailering are all done by my wife or I.

Kind of funny but I proud of my low speed manuvering skills and like to show off a bit. It generally is wasted effort as a lot of people never understand that it isn't easy, they just assume that these boats drive like cars :lol:

Edited by Ruffdog

I like both. Some of my family like to go on slow cruises around the lake. We call them wine cruises for the mothers of the group. I prefer to sit in back for those, and just chill out. Honestly, on slow boat rides, I fall asleep because they're the most relaxing things to do!

J

I drive almost all the time. Except when I'm skiing. Then, I let someone else drive. I miss my old muscle cars, so the bu takes its place. And equipment malfunctions are always fun to watch.

My wife, 20 something daughters, brothers, and cousins all drive my boat. Quite often, I am on the beach watching the skiing going on. Once I wished I was the spotter, when I pulled a friend thru the course @ 34 off. Couldn't even look in the mirror, trying to stay on line. I could only hear it.

Edited by electricjohn

I drive 70% of the time, 18 year old son drives most of the rest and he always loads and unloads from trailer. He has been driving for me while I Skyski since he was 9, mother was always by his side. She just don't care to drive. She used to drive for me till the boy started doing it. He is about to go off to collage next year, wife needs to get comfortable driving again. :whistle:

I drive most of the time.

My 21 year old son is very callable, in fact, my last two boats he has trailered 90% of the time. I owned 1 boat for 3 years before I had to trailer it myself.

My wife would rather not drive so I’ve taught a buddy to drive and he typically pulls me.

I always drive unless I'm boarding then it has to be one of my close friends(I need perfect pass bad for this!!!!). BUT someone else always drives leaving the sandbar, because I shouldn't. :cheers:

I love to drive, but I also like to let my friends that know how to drive take the wheel sometimes even if I am not going for a tow, and of course my wife likes to drive also, so we divy it up. I also like to let kids drive (with close supervision and guidance) as it is also a great memory from my youth driving boats and kids have a great time driving, This is always when we are on open water away from other boats, and especially lake lice.

I drive as much as possible. If not me, then my Bro or my nephew. We trade off as needed when riding. I love to drive the boat, it is a pleasure. Plus I can control the music.

My wife has no ambition to drive, and she is good at trailering, but just doesn't like to drive when pulling someone. Thats ok when my family is with, but with friends, I'm the only Captian.

But is nice to watch someone with skills stick some tricks sometimes

Since our normal crew is my son, wife and myself I drive the most. My wife is an outstanding driver so she drives when ever I am on the wakeboard or ski and when it is time to launch or put the boat on the trailer. I have to say one of my most favorite times on the boat is when she picks me up at the dock after we launch. I love to sit in the middle of the back seat while we drive off to where ever we are headed to first. It is great to just relax, feel the boat in water and listen to the motor. Just thinking of that makes me sad summer is over.

Edited by rmarch