Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I want to replace my fixed ski pylon for a retractable one

Nitrousbird

Currently, my ski pylon is fixed:

dsc02912u.jpg

Ugly - yes.

Annyoing and in the way - yes

Would it be easy to unbolt and replace with one that retracts - yes.

But what to buy? I'm sure I wouldn't find one that would pop up as high as this one. Slightly a problem since the boat cover was made with this being one of the supports for it, but I'm sure a capped piece of PVC cut to the right length would work just fine. Anything that would pop up would be okay. A short, fixed one would be a last-ditch alternative (or cheaper alternative if the pop-up ones are stupid expensive).

You could always just modify the one you have. My buddy and I have access to machining tools and welders so it was a bit easier. Not sure if you do not how much a machine shop would charge to modify.

My link

Nitrous.

We have basically the same boat.

I just cover that ugly tubing pole with a golf club driver cover. His name is Chum.

Here he is chillaxin with my niece and nephew.

IMG_0199.jpg

Better shot...

IMG_0181.jpg

Edited by Pistol Pete

You could always just modify the one you have. My buddy and I have access to machining tools and welders so it was a bit easier. Not sure if you do not how much a machine shop would charge to modify.

My link

I have access to some stuff (TIG welder and very basic metal fab stuff), and know a good machine shop I have a couple connections with.

That said, I'm looking for an easier solution than that, as I have far more pressing projects than this over the winter.

Nitrous.

We have basically the same boat.

I just cover that ugly tubing pole with a golf club driver cover. His name is Chum.

LOL, that's another solution. I do use it a bit, as I open water slalom probably every other time out for a short set at the end of the day...otherwise I'd just remove it. I have only tubed once off it, as it isn't allowed in the water we normally boat. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My link

Sweet. Gonna steal your idea next summer. Thanks for the link. That looks pretty straightforward.