Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where to get Impeller housing gasket?

Nitrousbird

As I'm known for my "wonderful" luck, I go to take the boat out today and find the battery is drained (haven't had it out in almost a month due to bad weekend weather and too dark after work now). Go charge it up, start her with the Fake-A-Lake. It was on properly, but the motor wasn't sucking water like it normally does. It eventually put a little bit of water out, but not like it normally would.

Pull the impeller, and it is shot. I was planning on replacing it at the beginning of the season as I bought the boat this year and who knows when/if it has ever been replaced (bought with 330 hrs). Of course all the nearby boat shops are closed on Sundays. Has a Johnson 812 (for anyone with an LS1 boat, as it's hard to figure out what some of the marine-specifc parts are on these), but I decided I want to swap it for a Globe 100J. Only problem is the Globe doesn't come with a gasket.

Where can I get just the gasket? I could re-use the gasket, but it looks a bit tired. I could use a gasket maker instead, but that's not the ideal solution. I'd rather just buy a gaket if anyone sells one.

As I'm known for my "wonderful" luck, I go to take the boat out today and find the battery is drained (haven't had it out in almost a month due to bad weekend weather and too dark after work now). Go charge it up, start her with the Fake-A-Lake. It was on properly, but the motor wasn't sucking water like it normally does. It eventually put a little bit of water out, but not like it normally would.

Pull the impeller, and it is shot. I was planning on replacing it at the beginning of the season as I bought the boat this year and who knows when/if it has ever been replaced (bought with 330 hrs). Of course all the nearby boat shops are closed on Sundays. Has a Johnson 812 (for anyone with an LS1 boat, as it's hard to figure out what some of the marine-specifc parts are on these), but I decided I want to swap it for a Globe 100J. Only problem is the Globe doesn't come with a gasket.

Where can I get just the gasket? I could re-use the gasket, but it looks a bit tired. I could use a gasket maker instead, but that's not the ideal solution. I'd rather just buy a gaket if anyone sells one.

Bummer, sorry to hear about the bad day.

We've got plenty of them, if you don't need anything else mention in the comments field to ship the gaskets USPS mail. Our online store will only calculate UPS freight so we can refund the difference if all we need to use is a stamp. to ship you a gasket or two.

-Paul

Bakes has just the gasket for sale.

http://www.bakesonli...il.aspx?ID=1243

Thanks for posting the link!

-Paul

Bummer, sorry to hear about the bad day.

We've got plenty of them, if you don't need anything else mention in the comments field to ship the gaskets USPS mail. Our online store will only calculate UPS freight so we can refund the difference if all we need to use is a stamp. to ship you a gasket or two.

-Paul

Thanks Paul, I just placed the order for the gasket, and mentioned it in the comments about shipping via USPS (and also copy/pasted your comments in there). Too bad you don't carry the Globe Impeller or I would have ordered that from you as well.

if you don't need anything else mention in the comments field to ship the gaskets USPS mail. Our online store will only calculate UPS freight so we can refund the difference if all we need to use is a stamp. to ship you a gasket or two.

Paul.

Your on line shipping calculator really needs an upgrade.

I literally did not buy a $5 plastic part from you because I was quoted $12 to ship it UPS ground from you to me in CA.

Thanks Paul, I just placed the order for the gasket, and mentioned it in the comments about shipping via USPS (and also copy/pasted your comments in there). Too bad you don't carry the Globe Impeller or I would have ordered that from you as well.

I will have globe next spring. To be honest, i still think the standard OEM Johnson impeller is a better impeller but too many people ask me for the globe impellers so I need to keep with the demand.

Paul.

Your on line shipping calculator really needs an upgrade.

I literally did not buy a $5 plastic part from you because I was quoted $12 to ship it UPS ground from you to me in CA.

Its a bummer it goes down like that but to be honest, there is no way around it, shipping is a cost that can't go away and there is not enough profit to ship the part for less than it costs. It Doesn't make sense to do business when the sale is net negative right?

Whether its the $5 part or $200 worth of merchandise in a cubic foot box it ships in the same rate. I'm working on 3 upgrades to the site right now in the back round, one of which is a shipping tool / shopping cart upgrade that is long over due. I'm really hoping it will cut down on a lot of of the shipping miscalculations we've been having but its more focused on fixing the international shipping issues we're having with Canada & Australia.

USPS is the only other less expensive option but a horrible one, they have lost so many packages & a lot of packages have taken 2-3 times longer then was published (one shipment took 52 days to get to Florida this summer). I stand by UPS because they have worked great for us and with us, bottom line they are reliable and i never worry about getting our product to customers.

I would love to figure out a way to make shipping less, it could do nothing but benefit us with more sales so believe me i'm always working on negotiating rates as we grow.

Hope that helps you understand a little more into the shipping woes that I deal with.

-Paul

I will have globe next spring. To be honest, i still think the standard OEM Johnson impeller is a better impeller but too many people ask me for the globe impellers so I need to keep with the demand.

Sort of amazes me. Considering all the broken, failed Johnsons we've pulled out of boats over the years. Granted, I don't know how many hours are on them all. But quite a few of them I do..... two instances in particular where the boats had less than 60 hrs on them when the OEM failed.

I've been running the Globe since finding the group buy here (about 4 yrs), have run one of them up over 200 hrs, have inspected several used ones, and have yet to see or hear of any failures.

Good job responding to the demand though. I hope it works in everyone's favor.

A theory I wanted to post...and maybe this is the better topic than the Globe group buy post....is whether or not the Globe has as much suction as the OEM Johnson impeller. I think there is enough data that says the Globe will last longer. But to me if it is able to run dry, they have to reduce the friction somehow (dimensions, material) to keep it from burning up. And isn't it impeller friction on the inside of the pump that creates suction? The only reason I have wondered about this is when I run in the driveway, I don't use a fake-a-lake. I just pull the 1-1/4 hose off of the v-drive that goes to the raw pump and stuff the garden hose in it. Back when I ran a Johnson impeller, I never had a problem with feeding too much water from the hose. I switched to the Globe a few years back and now if the hose is on anything greater than a light trickle, I get back-flow into the bilge like the pump can't keep up. And I know there's no blockage in the hose or trans cooler screen.

Just a thought I had. I've never experienced an overheat on the water or anything so the Globe must pull enough water to do the job. But I'm probably due for a swap since it's been a few years (although low usage hours) and I debated going back to the OEM. Although there is some peace of mind with the Globe. I always hit the key as I'm loading up for the lake as a double check so I don't block the launch with a dead battery.

Its a bummer it goes down like that but to be honest, there is no way around it, shipping is a cost that can't go away and there is not enough profit to ship the part for less than it costs. It Doesn't make sense to do business when the sale is net negative right?

Whether its the $5 part or $200 worth of merchandise in a cubic foot box it ships in the same rate. I'm working on 3 upgrades to the site right now in the back round, one of which is a shipping tool / shopping cart upgrade that is long over due. I'm really hoping it will cut down on a lot of of the shipping miscalculations we've been having but its more focused on fixing the international shipping issues we're having with Canada & Australia.

USPS is the only other less expensive option but a horrible one, they have lost so many packages & a lot of packages have taken 2-3 times longer then was published (one shipment took 52 days to get to Florida this summer). I stand by UPS because they have worked great for us and with us, bottom line they are reliable and i never worry about getting our product to customers.

I would love to figure out a way to make shipping less, it could do nothing but benefit us with more sales so believe me i'm always working on negotiating rates as we grow.

Hope that helps you understand a little more into the shipping woes that I deal with.

-Paul

I always look at shipping cost in terms of what it would take for me to fire up my pickup and go get it. While I wouldn't drive to California to get a gasket, if I were to find it locally, I would have to drive 40 to 80 miles round trip to get it. At forty miles, the cost of driving to get the gasket is around $20, plus my time. So the total cost for me to pick up a $1.00 gasket is at a minimum $21.00.

so I have no problem paying Paul to put it in UPS and get it to my door hassle free, as the cost to me to pick up the gasket exceeds his charge plus his shipping fee.

Edited by Bozboat

Gasket arrived today. $4 + $1 shipping. :)

Sadly, since Paypal sucks, they delayed my payment for my Globe Impeller until today, so I won't have it for this weekend. Of course the weather is going to suck this weekend anyway...maybe it is time to get out of Ohio!

Sort of amazes me. Considering all the broken, failed Johnsons we've pulled out of boats over the years. Granted, I don't know how many hours are on them all. But quite a few of them I do..... two instances in particular where the boats had less than 60 hrs on them when the OEM failed.

I've been running the Globe since finding the group buy here (about 4 yrs), have run one of them up over 200 hrs, have inspected several used ones, and have yet to see or hear of any failures.

Good job responding to the demand though. I hope it works in everyone's favor.

Good to hear you've had good results. I have mixed feelings about them still, maybe because I haven't spent much time using them with our customers getting feedback on them. I will give them a chance though.

A theory I wanted to post...and maybe this is the better topic than the Globe group buy post....is whether or not the Globe has as much suction as the OEM Johnson impeller. I think there is enough data that says the Globe will last longer. But to me if it is able to run dry, they have to reduce the friction somehow (dimensions, material) to keep it from burning up. And isn't it impeller friction on the inside of the pump that creates suction? The only reason I have wondered about this is when I run in the driveway, I don't use a fake-a-lake. I just pull the 1-1/4 hose off of the v-drive that goes to the raw pump and stuff the garden hose in it. Back when I ran a Johnson impeller, I never had a problem with feeding too much water from the hose. I switched to the Globe a few years back and now if the hose is on anything greater than a light trickle, I get back-flow into the bilge like the pump can't keep up. And I know there's no blockage in the hose or trans cooler screen.

Just a thought I had. I've never experienced an overheat on the water or anything so the Globe must pull enough water to do the job. But I'm probably due for a swap since it's been a few years (although low usage hours) and I debated going back to the OEM. Although there is some peace of mind with the Globe. I always hit the key as I'm loading up for the lake as a double check so I don't block the launch with a dead battery.

You have good questions, i think globe is getting its efficiency from the material used.

I always look at shipping cost in terms of what it would take for me to fire up my pickup and go get it. While I wouldn't drive to California to get a gasket, if I were to find it locally, I would have to drive 40 to 80 miles round trip to get it. At forty miles, the cost of driving to get the gasket is around $20, plus my time. So the total cost for me to pick up a $1.00 gasket is at a minimum $21.00.

so I have no problem paying Paul to put it in UPS and get it to my door hassle free, as the cost to me to pick up the gasket exceeds his charge plus his shipping fee.

Its something we think about often, the good news is that the last 3 shipping costs increases have been off set by volume discounts so pricing hasn't really changed for over a year now.

Gasket arrived today. $4 + $1 shipping. :)

Sadly, since Paypal sucks, they delayed my payment for my Globe Impeller until today, so I won't have it for this weekend. Of course the weather is going to suck this weekend anyway...maybe it is time to get out of Ohio!

Thanks for your business! Bummer the globe didn't make it. Check with us next time, hoping to have Globe in stock at Bake's soon / by next spring.

Thanks!!

-Paul

Bummer the globe didn't make it. Check with us next time, hoping to have Globe in stock at Bake's soon / by next spring.

Thanks!!

-Paul

Funny enough, it did make it. First time ever, UPS actually shipped quickly - 1 day from Michigan to here. Not that it mattered - high of 50 degrees today and rain all day. Tomorrow is more of the same. :( One of the worst weather years for boating I've ever seen here.