Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010/2011 Winterization, Anything Different?

Even though it’s still in the high 90’s here in Texas I’m starting to think about winterizing. This will be my first year winterizing our 2011 VLX (5.7 Monsoon). Coming from a 99 VLX, is there anything that is different?

Do you have any tips/tricks that helped in your own winterization?

• 2 weeks later...

Even though it’s still in the high 90’s here in Texas I’m starting to think about winterizing. This will be my first year winterizing our 2011 VLX (5.7 Monsoon). Coming from a 99 VLX, is there anything that is different?

Do you have any tips/tricks that helped in your own winterization?

What is everyone doing in place of fogging the engine since the manual/dealer says not to fog because it will damage the cat. converter. THe dearler user his own lubricate he sends through the gass line instead of fogging. Any one do anything else?

I talked with WSA which is one of the largest Malibu dealers in the country volume wise and they do not fog nor do they use antifreeze.

They simply change fluids, run stabil and drain the water out of the engine and v drive.

They have had the same lead service tech for over 15 years.

I talked with WSA which is one of the largest Malibu dealers in the country volume wise and they do not fog nor do they use antifreeze.

They simply change fluids, run stabil and drain the water out of the engine and v drive.

This is normally what I do as well...I think for our brothers in the north, the antifreeze is a must???

What is everyone doing in place of fogging the engine since the manual/dealer says not to fog because it will damage the cat. converter. THe dearler user his own lubricate he sends through the gass line instead of fogging. Any one do anything else?

What is his own lube???

How cold does it get there, does it get below 30 in the winter

I am in Dallas and we can get in the low teens but it is not for more than 72 hours. WSA did over 30 busted blocks last year - so we do get cold enough to do damage.

The only reason that you would use antifreeze is for the anti corrosion properties. No matter what you must drain the water out of the engine. I would not trust sucking antifreeze into the motor in an effort to protect it. If you are dead set on antifreeze, then I would suggest draining the water out of the block, putting the plugs back in and then filling the motor with AF.

How cold does it get there, does it get below 30 in the winter

Last year in San Antonio it got down in the teens for about four days. Durning the day it would rebound back to just above freezing.

He said its a mix of oil recomended by the manufacture

Interesting, I have not heard of this...has anyone else??? :unsure:

I have heard that they are an awesome dealer to do business with.

I am in Dallas and we can get in the low teens but it is not for more than 72 hours. WSA did over 30 busted blocks last year - so we do get cold enough to do damage.

The only reason that you would use antifreeze is for the anti corrosion properties. No matter what you must drain the water out of the engine. I would not trust sucking antifreeze into the motor in an effort to protect it. If you are dead set on antifreeze, then I would suggest draining the water out of the block, putting the plugs back in and then filling the motor with AF.

I checked with the local dealer and they drain everything then suck antifreeze into the system and leave it there through the winter. A tech there who has worked at other shops in the area says every where he has worked they do the same think, drain and refil with RV antifreeze.

For anyone who has done it, if I connect a hose to a fake a lake and put the other end in a 5gal bucket of AF will it just suck it up without any issues?Or are there some tips you may have for doint it?

I've had indmar engines for the last 6 years and have done what the engine manual says with no problems. We see -25s here some times. For my Vlx, I ended up spraying a little fogging oil in each cylinder and turned over the engine a couple of turns. I put antifreeze in the heaters; all it takes is a little frozen drop of water and you have a leak. The Indmar marketing chief is a member here(Enginenut) and has been very helpfull with any questions I've had.

Another option for heater lines is to disconnect at engine and blow them out with an air compressor, have had zero problems with this method. Also if your in excessive freezing temp zones, might want to clear out ballast lines and pumps, I am sure freezing water would crack them without any problems.

I live in DFW and made it through our record setting winter last year with the 300W Xtreme Heater. If you have access to electricity where you store your boat, this is a great option for extending the season, especially here in Texas where we might get 70 degree days in December. The only word of caution, especially if we get another winter like last year, is the potential of rolling black outs. I plan on draining everything after each winter ride and firing up the generator if there are any chances for black outs.

I live in DFW and made it through our record setting winter last year with the 300W Xtreme Heater. If you have access to electricity where you store your boat, this is a great option for extending the season, especially here in Texas where we might get 70 degree days in December. The only word of caution, especially if we get another winter like last year, is the potential of rolling black outs. I plan on draining everything after each winter ride and firing up the generator if there are any chances for black outs.

You are more brave than I am. I saw how many comprimised blocks that waterski american had on the lot in the spring.

I am going to winterize mine myself this year.

Oh I was definitely sweating bullets when we had the sustained weather in the teens and they were announcing rolling black outs last year! And that was on my 99 XStar. Going to be more prepared this year now that I'm in the 09 VLX. Actually just had WSA install the dock for the Xtreme Heater and Tony suggested I drain everything if it looks like a long cold snap is forecasted. The last thing I want to worry about is a cracked block on my new Bu!

Definitely have been most impressed by the level of service at WSA, just wish they were closer. I live in Highland Village and we usually ride up on the Hickory Creek arm of Lewisville.

What about yourself?

This is normally what I do as well...I think for our brothers in the north, the antifreeze is a must???

Not at all, 16 year no antifreeze just drain the block and transmission fluid. Antifreeze is riskier cause you are closing back the system and if it gets diluted something is going to break. Waste of time and money to use antifreeze in the block anywhere.

Not at all, 16 year no antifreeze just drain the block and transmission fluid. Antifreeze is riskier cause you are closing back the system and if it gets diluted something is going to break. Waste of time and money to use antifreeze in the block anywhere.

Agreed

You are more brave than I am. I saw how many comprimised blocks that waterski american had on the lot in the spring.

I am going to winterize mine myself this year.

My dealer (CTWS) said they replace 19 blocks last year.... :crazy:

At what temp do you really need to worry about engine damage? I would think it would have to be a bit below 32 if the boat is stores in a garage

Good question that I don't have an answer to. :unsure:

Anyone???

I flew down to Texas last year the day before the cold snap and rolling black outs. I paid CTWS to pull the boat out of the water and into there shop for a prepurchase inspection. I'm pretty sure I saved the previous owner a block... He had his boat on the water in a slip and only had a M5 BMW for a vehicle. I then sat around Austin for three days with below freezing weather and rolling black outs and a few inches of snow.