Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barefoot boom... G3 Tower?

blagrata

I have questioned the same thing. When it's time for another boat I would like a v-drive for the room and wanted to be able to have a tower mounted boom.

I don't think BI has clamps bit enough nor would they work well on the G3.

If a certain member ever gets his boat over here we'll be fabricating a bracket to use a boom behind the drivers seat in the Malibu v-drives.

Peter

If a certain member ever gets his boat over here we'll be fabricating a bracket to use a boom behind the drivers seat in the Malibu v-drives.

Peter

ya, well if a certain malibu dealer would just move his shop a little closer to me it would be much more convenient :thumbup:

Besides, its late September and in the 80's all week here. Almost everyone has pulled their boat and closed their place up for the summer, leaving us an empty lake and pure glass. This is what I found today - mid afternoon on a Sunday!!

post-1978-074989600 1317002564_thumb.jpg

Edited by chadwick02

ya, well if a certain malibu dealer would just move his shop a little closer to me it would be much more convenient :thumbup:

Besides, its late September and in the 80's all week here. Almost everyone has pulled their boat and closed their place up for the summer, leaving us an empty lake and pure glass. This is what I found today - mid afternoon on a Sunday!!

I don't blame you for not taking your boat in.

Contact info at the bottom

You can always contact Mike S and see what he recommends.

Claims they have a boom for every boat and wakeboard tower.

I talked to Mike Seipel a few months ago. It sure was cool talking to a legend...

You can outfit your boat with a boom but you need to extend the ski pylon. I wasn’t ready to do that yet. Maybe this winter.

I talked to Mike Seipel a few months ago. It sure was cool talking to a legend...

You can outfit your boat with a boom but you need to extend the ski pylon. I wasn’t ready to do that yet. Maybe this winter.

I've never been a fan of booms mounted on the pylon on V Drives. Most of the time you will need to extend the boom to get out of the spray and height adjustment can be a pain.

Can't wait to see Peter's solution.

When I was looking into a boom I called over to BI and talked to Mike Siepel as well and talk about helpful. i didn't even realize who it was until I got off the phone and put 2 and 2 together. This guy seemed like he would have come out and mounted the thing if I asked him....very cool guy.

Rather strange, as I posted this before but it vanished, so I'll post it again.

Chadwick, with water like that I don't expect I will ever see your boat. :)

As Ken was saying, an issue with the quad-v boom is it just doesn't go far enough forward to get out of the spray. The old days of barefoot nautique v-drives and other skinny(er) hull boats were bad, but not as bad as the wide-tracks of today's designs. Add a G3 tower right were the quad-v would normally go out the side, and there's twice the issues. Hence, we need a better mousetrap.

Peter

Peter

I may want one of those too. Any idea what it is going to cost?

Eric, I have no cost parameters yet. I have gone back to a modified version of my original idea for the G3, which is a tower supported design. This will allow it to fit on any boat with a G3 tower. With some hard work we'll have one done for some trial runs soon.

Peter

Eric, I have no cost parameters yet. I have gone back to a modified version of my original idea for the G3, which is a tower supported design. This will allow it to fit on any boat with a G3 tower. With some hard work we'll have one done for some trial runs soon.

Peter

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Quick update - tested the Axis boom today, and it worked even better than expected. The G3 boom will have some of the same features but completely different bends and a slightly different mount due to tower differences. Should actually be a touch nicer in my opinion, although the Axis boom is pretty cool looking, and like the boat, had an edgy look to it.

On both Axis and the G3 boom, aside from cable length differences they will fit any boat with that tower. Both towers are located In the same position relative to the windshield on all models, so therefore the boom location will be identical, no matter if it's a 247 or a VTX. This is very important in regards to staying out of the side spray. (although all disclaimers apply on ensuring that! :)

I'm pressed for time to spend on these projects, but I'll keep you all abreast as we get it closer to releasing it.

Thanks,

Peter

Quick update - tested the Axis boom today, and it worked even better than expected. The G3 boom will have some of the same features but completely different bends and a slightly different mount due to tower differences. Should actually be a touch nicer in my opinion, although the Axis boom is pretty cool looking, and like the boat, had an edgy look to it.

On both Axis and the G3 boom, aside from cable length differences they will fit any boat with that tower. Both towers are located In the same position relative to the windshield on all models, so therefore the boom location will be identical, no matter if it's a 247 or a VTX. This is very important in regards to staying out of the side spray. (although all disclaimers apply on ensuring that! :)

I'm pressed for time to spend on these projects, but I'll keep you all abreast as we get it closer to releasing it.

Thanks,

Peter

Thanks for the update Peter. I'm excited to see the finished product.

Thanks,

Troy

Thanks for the update Peter. I'm excited to see the finished product.

Thanks,

Troy

Keep us posted , I'm looking also ........ thanks

• 2 weeks later...