Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009-2011 VLX Wakeboard wake configurations (beg, int, adv, expert)

Fman

Currently I am riding with center ballast full at 22.4 MPH, I want to bump up the wake a little and wanted to find out what combo's you guys are running. I was thinking my next step would be to fill the rear ski locker hard tanks or deploy the wedge in the lowest position, this would add more weight to the rear of the boat and would probably add a little more lip to the wake....?

Any feedback for beginner, int, and advanced wakeboard wake ballast config's appreciated!

Thank you....

Edited by Fman

Easy, run the wedge at 25% and add equal ballast to the tanks as needed.

When I pull tournaments we run as follows: Beginner - wedge 0%/0 ballast, Intermediate - wedge 25%/50% all tanks, Advanced - 25% wedge/full MLS. If you need a bigger wake beyond factory, add a extras sac in the rear rear lockers and a bow sac. Line length/speed are also part of the equation and is rider preference.

Fman, there's not one given setup, but it's a pleasure to take your boat to a comp and riders complement the wake. Experiment with it to find what suits you best. Good luck!

Edited by thtrog

Would 25% wedge be all the way down or a 1/4 up? I will start to play around with it a bit, 50% in all tanks makes sense, I think I will try this next... thanks for the information...

Edited by Fman

Would 25% wedge be all the way down or a 1/4 up? I will start to play around with it a bit, 50% in all tanks makes sense, I think I will try this next... thanks for the information...

I was suggesting 25% on the presets, which would be 1/4 up setting for the wedge.

0% is all the way creating the least amount of drag and 100% is as high as it will go creating the most amount of drag and 200% is in the stowed position.

I am a big believer in setting up the boat to perform not in setting up the boat for each rider. With the exception of beginners which is pretty much running with no ballast and no wedge. With anyone that can cross the wake both directions, they get the same wake as the most advanced riders. Changing the wake around is like learning to ride behind a different boat.

Our current setup is:

100% Wedge

Full rear tanks

Full Center

Full front

We have also added 400 lbs of lead in pop bags that is placed from the center of the boat forward.

We wanted to start off small, so we went with MLS (1250lbs), Wedge one click up from bottom, and 2-450 lb fat sacs in bow and walkway.....I think it worked, I pulled my first Raley today! Just kiddin....

We had an expert rider out on the boat today to coach my son, he was fun to watch!... this guy can throw it down! he placed second at the INT outlaws regional finals a couple weekends ago.... 24.5MPH, at 75'....... wake was about knee high, completely clean on both sides.... he gave us the thumbs up on the VLX :rockon:

IMG_8314.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_8600.jpg

IMG_8442.jpg

Edited by Fman

I am a big believer in setting up the boat to perform not in setting up the boat for each rider. With the exception of beginners which is pretty much running with no ballast and no wedge. With anyone that can cross the wake both directions, they get the same wake as the most advanced riders. Changing the wake around is like learning to ride behind a different boat.

Our current setup is:

100% Wedge

Full rear tanks

Full Center

Full front

We have also added 400 lbs of lead in pop bags that is placed from the center of the boat forward.

100% Wedge would mean 45 degrees angle...can't believe this setup is working...

Here's my setup:

Malibu VTX 2010:

Center Ballast full, rear ballast full, 500lb fat sack in front and 500lb fat sack rear

Don't mess around too much with the wedge if your boat is loaded heavy...

Cheers

Edited by Concise

Concise,

I stand corrected. We are running the wedge at 40%

Basically it is creating the same setup that you have with adding the 500 lbs to the rear. Your option may be better, ours creates a situation where the bow rides low and when the wedge disengages when coming off the throttle the nose wants to dive.

Not a big issue if you throttle back and let the wake pass, but have had a few situations where we have had to deal with wakes from another boat and dipped the bow. Its not terrible, but something to keep in mind.

We wanted to start off small, so we went with MLS (1250lbs), Wedge one click up from bottom, and 2-450 lb fat sacs in bow and walkway.....I think it worked, I pulled my first Raley today! Just kiddin....

We had an expert rider out on the boat today to coach my son, he was fun to watch!... this guy can throw it down! he placed second at the INT outlaws regional finals a couple weekends ago.... 24.5MPH, at 75'....... wake was about knee high, completely clean on both sides.... he gave us the thumbs up on the VLX :rockon:

How did you find slowing down to pick people up after they fell? I have run our 06 with full MLS, wedge all the way down to 1 click up from the bottom and 400-450lbs in the nose, but never another bag in the walkway.

I know with just the additional 400lbs up front its riding low up there and you have to be careful how fast you slow down to pick up a down rider. I love how thick it makes the wake on the top and firms it up great. I was thinking of putting the other 400lb sac in front of the rear seat on the floor to help bring the bow back up a bit when you slow down.

Another setup that kicks a** is 400lb sac in each rear locker and 400-450lbs in the bow with the wedge all the way down. That has a lot of push off the wake. 75' back and 23.2mph.

Edited by black06VLX

When adding ballast over stock, we run a 60% rear/40% bow weight distribution and it's just right.

We had the stock MLS hard tanks filled in bow and center, plus the 450 lb sac in walkway and 450 lb on the front bow seat. Also had rear tanks filled, with wedge at about 20% up, speed was 24.5-25 MPH... the wake was pretty massive, as you can see by the pics, he was launching with no problems. When he rides with us again, I might have him only add the 450 lb sac to the walkway, the bow was taking in some water, even in completely calm, glassy waters.... I did have the 750 lb surf sacs I could have filled up which might have countered the bow weight a little.

I think you reach a point where adding weight is only effective if its properly distributed, otherwise you are just burning up excess fuel for no reason. I think we were a little heavy in the bow, and light on the rear of the boat.

We had the stock MLS hard tanks filled in bow and center, plus the 450 lb sac in walkway and 450 lb on the front bow seat. Also had rear tanks filled, with wedge at about 20% up, speed was 24.5-25 MPH... the wake was pretty massive, as you can see by the pics, he was launching with no problems. When he rides with us again, I might have him only add the 450 lb sac to the walkway, the bow was taking in some water, even in completely calm, glassy waters.... I did have the 750 lb surf sacs I could have filled up which might have countered the bow weight a little.

I think you reach a point where adding weight is only effective if its properly distributed, otherwise you are just burning up excess fuel for no reason. I think we were a little heavy in the bow, and light on the rear of the boat.

That's why I suggest a 60/40 distribution or even a 50/50, either way the VLX throws a great wake!

After goofing around with weight this year I think the trick with these boats is getting as much weight in the nose as you can and then adding weight in the rear to bring the boat down even so you don't nose dive so much when slowing down.

Just my opinion based on experience. Plus I like a firm wake.

When I run bags from and rear our distribution comes out to nearly 50/50 with the wedge fully down then. Its the biggest wake I have found with the sacs we have. However just that bag in the nose works great and you can be ready to go boarding by the time the center tank is full which is a plus.

I need to call Bakes and Wakemakers to talk about a good way to hard plumb in the rear compartments so I only have to use my tsunami pump for a front sac. Heck if I could use a valve and swing flow from the front tank pump to fill a bag up in the bow that would be wicked.

Edited by black06VLX