Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

evolution cover question

wakeboarder3780

are you supposed to do tge rub rail hooks or drawstring first? jc playing with the new cover. it pooled on me last night but i think it was my fault. tightenwd the corner straps more and tightened drawstring more and hoping thats the problem

The hooks are adjustable on velcro, they won't necessarily be adjusted when you get the cover. Secure all the rear straps so the cover is even the tighten the crap out of the ratchet strap. The cover should be so tight you can bounce a baseball off of it.

Edited by 06vlx

I do the drawstring first. Nice and tight. Then the rub rail clamps. The last step (for me) is the transom straps. The transom straps are the most important link in the chain. Also, pop up the ski pylon and crank the trailer jack all the way up.

I do the drawstring first. Nice and tight. Then the rub rail clamps. The last step (for me) is the transom straps. The transom straps are the most important link in the chain. Also, pop up the ski pylon and crank the trailer jack all the way up.

Does it work well? The drawstring/ratchet strap is supposed to keep tension on the rub rail clamps and keep them in place.

Huh? I put the hooks over the rub rail first, otherwise when you tighten the drawstring how else can you make sure it is under the rubrail? I rarely ever need to adjust where the hooks are velcroed on. I alternate tighening the the transom straps and drawstring, also I grab the cover with my hand and pull it when I do the transome straps instead of just reefing on them and stressing the strap stitching.

Huh? I put the hooks over the rub rail first, otherwise when you tighten the drawstring how else can you make sure it is under the rubrail? I rarely ever need to adjust where the hooks are velcroed on. I alternate tighening the the transom straps and drawstring, also I grab the cover with my hand and pull it when I do the transome straps instead of just reefing on them and stressing the strap stitching.

:plus1: Hooks - Drawstring - Transom Straps

Terry

This is with a cover I have had for a few months and only put on three times, so it is still very "tight" and has not stretched much yet.

(According to Cory it will stretch a little after a few uses)

Rub rail hools over rub rail.

Slight tension on drawstring.

Pull the two corner straps down (hooked to rear tow eyes) to help keep the drawstring under the rail.

Pull drawstring tighter.

Pull other straps tight (hooked under tow bar).

Final pull on the drawstring.

I did have to make adjustments to all of the rub rail hooks as I worked this the first time (as expected).

I'm going to offer a big fat "it doesn't matter," because apparently I did it differently from everybody here and it worked fine... I did transom straps, then pulled the big ratchet strap, then walked the boat and pulled the hooks over the rail. Worked fine.

I'm going to offer a big fat "it doesn't matter," because apparently I did it differently from everybody here and it worked fine...

I would "think" that if the cover it tight, does it really matter how you get it tight??? hahahaha.

I do exactly the same thing except no ski pylon. the cover will stretch over time a bit so pull the cover tight then walk around and make sure the rub rail hooks are pulling properly.

only time I have had water pool is when I had the boat on the driveway nose lower and the water had no where to...100% my fault

Thanks for te responses guys. I just wamted to make sure it didnt pool up on me again amd wamted to see what order others did it in. doing corner straps then rope then clips helps the clips stay in place which is the prob i wad having. it pooled bc i didnt tighten it hard enough. the literature said to be careful not to overtighten so the first time i def didnt do it tight enough. now that i cinch everything down super nice and tight there are no problems. sorry for typing. on phone.

There's more than one way to put it on and tight but I think the most important thing is to make sure there is slope from the windshield to the transom. Mine pooled for a week and stretched the cover out and it didn't fit very well for a few days but it shrank back up and is perfect now. I parked on a slight incline and didn't compensate by jacking the trailer up high enough.

Edited by Ndawg12

Yep it was definitely my bad - not the covers fault at all. I tightened it up and watched it rain the rest of the weekend (insert unbelievably sad face here) but despite all the rain and being parked on a slight decline, the cover beaded water like a champ. Very happy with the cover and understand why it's recommended so highly on this forum. Makes me sad that I'll only get to use it for a few more weeks before the snow flies. Then I'll have to switch back to the crappy cover so the evolution doesnt catch all the snow. Ahhh to live in WI :) Wouldnt have it any other way.

Thanks for all the responses guys ;)

• 3 weeks later...

How long does it typically take you guys to take the cover off and put it back on? We do not have a lake place and we have to keep our boat on the driveway and we have to tow it every time we use it. Is it a quick process to put the cover on and take it off because we would have to do that every time we use our boat.

How long does it typically take you guys to take the cover off and put it back on? We do not have a lake place and we have to keep our boat on the driveway and we have to tow it every time we use it. Is it a quick process to put the cover on and take it off because we would have to do that every time we use our boat.

I do it by myself in 10 minutes ensuring it is adjusted correctly. With two people 5 min.

What cover comes with the new boat?

Is it an evolution? It is grey and lightweight and uses ratchet style tie downs to keep it tight.

Commercial Sewing if it's from Malibu. Some dealers offer non OEM covers to customers.

What cover comes with the new boat?

Is it an evolution? It is grey and lightweight and uses ratchet style tie downs to keep it tight.

Given the cost difference, you probably do not have an evolution cover from new.

I had water pool once on my cover but that was prior to pulling up the ski pylon before putting the cover on. I think it's really important to have the ski pylon up especially on the 23-24LSV due to the longer cockpit.

I am intending on ordering the evo cover for next year. Based on these posts the information indicating that this cover needs NO poles of any sort and should be nice and tight and not pool at all, seems innacurate. Can you guys confim. My boat all season sat in a boat well at the marina in the water. It rains a lot in michigan and i do not want to deal with pooling again. Also has anyone had any issues with taking the cover off and putting it on while in the water easily ? The ski pylon is a new thing i have never heard before. That is not a recommendation from cory at evo is it ?

Thanks,

Claudio

I am intending on ordering the evo cover for next year. Based on these posts the information indicating that this cover needs NO poles of any sort and should be nice and tight and not pool at all, seems innacurate. Can you guys confim. My boat all season sat in a boat well at the marina in the water. It rains a lot in michigan and i do not want to deal with pooling again. Also has anyone had any issues with taking the cover off and putting it on while in the water easily ? The ski pylon is a new thing i have never heard before. That is not a recommendation from cory at evo is it ?

Thanks,

Claudio

It's hard to believe, but it's true. No poles needed with the Evolution cover. It's design allows it to be put on the boat and tightened like 06 said so that you could bounce a basketball off it. It sheds water like a ducks back.

You put the cover on, set the rub rail clips so they are engaging the bottom of the rub rail. Then cinch the perimeter rope as tight as you can. It helps get the cover nice and tight under the rub rail and locks the rub rail clips onto the boat nice and tight. You then put the rear straps on and tighten them (I do it from the center and work my way out) so that the cover is nice and tight between the windshield and rear of the boat.

Here's some close ups of the day I got my Evo for my Skier.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20623-evolution-cover/page__st__20

• 3 weeks later...

question on my older 99 Sportster....

I recently bought a new replacement cover from Great Lakes Tops ( original supplier to Malibu) to replace the original mooring cover, The original had two poles , however the ne cover only came with one pole for the rear of the boat behind the engine compartment. the ski pylon really isn't high enough IMO. The old cover had a pole that sat in from of the pylon .....

I only use the cover while on my lift or when stored on trailer so never use the side straps just the draw rope

Any suggestions?....I guess I will just use an old pole I have although there is no snap in the forward area....