Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Ride

Bill_AirJunky

My buddy Dave has been LSV shoppin the last few weeks. Our local dealer, Bret at the Coeur d'Alene Yacht Club, is coming thru with a 2011 23' Vride. It only has the LCR engine in it, which I think is rated at 330 hp now. Dealer ordered the boat with a Power Wedge & repropped it already. We had a chance to take it out for a spin today. 900 lbs of ballast & a full tank of gas, and 6 riders. The boat performed great. 5 of us rode, 3 SkySki riders & 2 boarders, everyone loved the big wake. :rockon:

Love the simplicity of the Vride dash & the G3 tower. Was even told the bimini is rated for like 65 mph.... the thing is rock solid & easily collapsed in seconds. We collapsed the tower & backed the boat in thru an 8.5' tall garage door with millimeters to spare. Once the swivel board racks are removed, the tower will have a foot or more clearance. Looks like he can install them in the upper holes & still have a couple inches. Hoping the SkySki racks will clear too.

These guys are big WSU Cougar fans so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vride graphics removed & a big burgundy Cougar logo in it's place. :yahoo:

post-821-037369000 1316750117_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Thanks guys,

Dave is giddy as a little girl right now..... and he doesn't even own the boat yet. :rofl:

The boats he's been looking at, 06 - 10 LSV, have ranged in price from highs $40s to low $80s. This one listed at $80k. I think he's going to get it for around $60k, pretty loaded. Heater, shower, Power Wedge, bimini, 3 ballast tanks, basic RF stereo, Malibu Cruise, 330 hp LCR, etc.

We were a little concerned about a 23' boat with just that little LCR engine. But fully weighted, it never had a problem getting out of the hole in short order. Even with the ballast & gas tanks full, plus the Power Wedge deployed, and 6 people on board, it wasn't nearly as bad as some of wakeboarder boats we've been in. The two boarders we had loved the wake, even intimidated by it. Both have multiple inverts & stuck them big & clean with no effort. My own inverts were scary big and easily cleared the wake going each way, even from 80' back...... :crazy:

I encouraged him to get an Evo cover. He just bought one for his 95 Prostar like a year ago & knows from it & my own cover how they perform (he & I just towed my boat to Shasta & back, covered & loaded, and had zero problems). So while he will have a factory sharkskin cover, we played with it a little last night & there is nothing good about them at all.

Plus he'll probably add a pair of SkySki racks & make some small adjustments on the swimstep, so we can launch off it without damaging anything. Not sure if he'll want/need bow ballast. But we can certainly take care of that if needed. :crazy:

My buddy Dave has been LSV shoppin the last few weeks. Our local dealer, Bret at the Coeur d'Alene Yacht Club, is coming thru with a 2011 23' Vride. It only has the LCR engine in it, which I think is rated at 330 hp now. Dealer ordered the boat with a Power Wedge & repropped it already. We had a chance to take it out for a spin today. 900 lbs of ballast & a full tank of gas, and 6 riders. The boat performed great. 5 of us rode, 3 SkySki riders & 2 boarders, everyone loved the big wake. :rockon:

Love the simplicity of the Vride dash & the G3 tower. Was even told the bimini is rated for like 65 mph.... the thing is rock solid & easily collapsed in seconds. We collapsed the tower & backed the boat in thru an 8.5' tall garage door with millimeters to spare. Once the swivel board racks are removed, the tower will have a foot or more clearance. Looks like he can install them in the upper holes & still have a couple inches. Hoping the SkySki racks will clear too.

These guys are big WSU Cougar fans so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vride graphics removed & a big burgundy Cougar logo in it's place. :yahoo:

He is missing the Sky Ski Racks and the Air Junky decals! Biggrin.gif

-Paul

He is missing the Sky Ski Racks and the Air Junky decals! Biggrin.gif

-Paul

Hehe, you know Jake will have him setup with racks soon. And I'll be sure to get the boat tagged before we bring it to the NW WOW next summer!! :rockon:

I'm currently waiting to take delivery on a 2011 vRide23. Like you, I appreciate the simplicity and clean configuration of the dash and controls. The MaliView system has some incredible features, but I like the old school setup just the same.

Thanks guys,

Dave is giddy as a little girl right now..... and he doesn't even own the boat yet. :rofl:

The boats he's been looking at, 06 - 10 LSV, have ranged in price from highs $40s to low $80s. This one listed at $80k. I think he's going to get it for around $60k, pretty loaded. Heater, shower, Power Wedge, bimini, 3 ballast tanks, basic RF stereo, Malibu Cruise, 330 hp LCR, etc.

We were a little concerned about a 23' boat with just that little LCR engine. But fully weighted, it never had a problem getting out of the hole in short order. Even with the ballast & gas tanks full, plus the Power Wedge deployed, and 6 people on board, it wasn't nearly as bad as some of wakeboarder boats we've been in. The two boarders we had loved the wake, even intimidated by it. Both have multiple inverts & stuck them big & clean with no effort. My own inverts were scary big and easily cleared the wake going each way, even from 80' back...... :crazy:

I encouraged him to get an Evo cover. He just bought one for his 95 Prostar like a year ago & knows from it & my own cover how they perform (he & I just towed my boat to Shasta & back, covered & loaded, and had zero problems). So while he will have a factory sharkskin cover, we played with it a little last night & there is nothing good about them at all.

Plus he'll probably add a pair of SkySki racks & make some small adjustments on the swimstep, so we can launch off it without damaging anything. Not sure if he'll want/need bow ballast. But we can certainly take care of that if needed. :crazy:

I'm curious what kind of adjustments you're making to the swim platform to prevent damage?

I am thinking about taking off the wedge because I noticed a few very minor surface scratches on there recently. I'm guessing this is from the front foil brushing up against it during entry. If I lean forward on entry, it's not a problem. But, a certain person (ie: wife!) doesn't listen to me all the time and leans back too far on entry.

I also noticed some small dents on the leading edge of the strut right underneath the board that was not there before. I think the strut is getting banged on the hard edge of the swim platform during entry/exit. I'd like to wrap the edge of the swim platform with something firm, but soft, to act as a cushion for the strut. Not sure how to attach it to the platform and not have it go flying off while underway. :crazy:

Sorry for the hi-jack Bill.

Congrats Sride. I agree with you on the simplicity of the Ride series boats. Having owned one for 4 yrs now, I can tell you that it is a great boat. This one being 2' longer is just icing on the cake. Look forward to seeing your new Ride soon. :rockon:

John, this particular swimstep has rub rail around it, with the stainless insert. The rest of the boat has rubrail with the black rubber insert. So I suspect we'll be replacing the SS insert with the black rubber one. You can check out sites like http://www.tacomarine.com/ for a variety of different kinds of rub rail. Hopefully one of them will work for your situation too. Depending on how the deck pad works for us, he may add to or replace it to help protect the corners of the fiberglass swimstep.

My own swimstep is teak that I had Linexed like 2 yrs ago. Then I stuck a GatorGrip deck pad on top. I don't run the Wedge at all so the foil itself has been removed & is sitting in the garage till the day I sell the boat. The swimstep is in great shape, doesn't scar up the foils or boards in the least, and is easily dismounted from without hitting anything.

I'm curious what kind of adjustments you're making to the swim platform to prevent damage?

I am thinking about taking off the wedge because I noticed a few very minor surface scratches on there recently. I'm guessing this is from the front foil brushing up against it during entry. If I lean forward on entry, it's not a problem. But, a certain person (ie: wife!) doesn't listen to me all the time and leans back too far on entry.

I also noticed some small dents on the leading edge of the strut right underneath the board that was not there before. I think the strut is getting banged on the hard edge of the swim platform during entry/exit. I'd like to wrap the edge of the swim platform with something firm, but soft, to act as a cushion for the strut. Not sure how to attach it to the platform and not have it go flying off while underway. :crazy:

Sorry for the hi-jack Bill.

What I did was put the fuzzy side of velcro on the chrome trim that surrounds the swim deck. It isn't real thick, but seems to be helping protect the strut. My wife has been trained (via freezing water) to not lean back to enter the water. The only way to keep your head up/dry on entry is to slide in at a more shallow angle. I haven't had a single tap/scratch on the wedge thanks to this learning technique.

Is the V-ride the same hull as my 07 23LSV? If it is, the 1235 prop makes my boat almost jump out of the hole with no ballast and full of people. It even does really well with all 4 ballasts full, the wedge down and 8 people onboard. I only have the 340 Monsoon, so a whole whopping 10hp more than that motor. When I was looking for a boat, I really wanted the HH motor, but am very happy with the Monsoon. It is great on fuel and pretty much Indmar's most reliable motor.

Is the V-ride the same hull as my 07 23LSV?

Yep, you got it. Just doesn't have all the bling the LSV has.

Dealer said the prop was a step up from stock, a 14x14? Next time I see it I'll look closer..... or at my own.

He also said the LCR is only like 5 ft/lbs of torque below the Monsoon. So not a big loss & over $5k less.

Congrats Sride. I agree with you on the simplicity of the Ride series boats. Having owned one for 4 yrs now, I can tell you that it is a great boat. This one being 2' longer is just icing on the cake. Look forward to seeing your new Ride soon. :rockon:

John, this particular swimstep has rub rail around it, with the stainless insert. The rest of the boat has rubrail with the black rubber insert. So I suspect we'll be replacing the SS insert with the black rubber one. You can check out sites like http://www.tacomarine.com/ for a variety of different kinds of rub rail. Hopefully one of them will work for your situation too. Depending on how the deck pad works for us, he may add to or replace it to help protect the corners of the fiberglass swimstep.

My own swimstep is teak that I had Linexed like 2 yrs ago. Then I stuck a GatorGrip deck pad on top. I don't run the Wedge at all so the foil itself has been removed & is sitting in the garage till the day I sell the boat. The swimstep is in great shape, doesn't scar up the foils or boards in the least, and is easily dismounted from without hitting anything.

Thanks for the link, Bill. I'll check it out.

What I did was put the fuzzy side of velcro on the chrome trim that surrounds the swim deck. It isn't real thick, but seems to be helping protect the strut. My wife has been trained (via freezing water) to not lean back to enter the water. The only way to keep your head up/dry on entry is to slide in at a more shallow angle. I haven't had a single tap/scratch on the wedge thanks to this learning technique.

Gorilla,

Thanks for the "fuzzy side of velcro" idea. What kind of glue/adhesive did you use to attach it to the chrome trim? I might give this a shot first since I can stop by Home Depot on the way home tonight and get it installed before hitting lake tomorrow. :thumbup:

Is the V-ride the same hull as my 07 23LSV? If it is, the 1235 prop makes my boat almost jump out of the hole with no ballast and full of people. It even does really well with all 4 ballasts full, the wedge down and 8 people onboard. I only have the 340 Monsoon, so a whole whopping 10hp more than that motor. When I was looking for a boat, I really wanted the HH motor, but am very happy with the Monsoon. It is great on fuel and pretty much Indmar's most reliable motor.

this was going to be my next question: Will the 23 vRide have the Monsoon as an option? I have the LCR in my 21v and it's an amazing engine, but a 23 footer loaded with ballast and people would be asking a lot of it over a long time span.

I don't know for a fact, but I'm guessing the Monsoon has a significant advantage in terms of low-end torque than the LCR...

He also said the LCR is only like 5 ft/lbs of torque below the Monsoon. So not a big loss & over $5k less.

....or I can just read ahead and answer my own question.

Which begs the question...why is there a Monsoon engine in the first place?

:crazy:

Gorilla,

Thanks for the "fuzzy side of velcro" idea. What kind of glue/adhesive did you use to attach it to the chrome trim? I might give this a shot first since I can stop by Home Depot on the way home tonight and get it installed before hitting lake tomorrow. :thumbup:

Just buy the industrial velcro that they have, it is sticky on one side already. I didn't add any glue and it has lasted the entire season. I am gonna replace it next spring with a longer piece. Just make sure to really clean the chrome (rubbing alcohol) and it should stick as well as mine did.