Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow ballast effects

LiquidCourage

Looking for some info on ballast and the effects of bow ballast for both wakeboarding and surfing. I have the 25 LSV- ballast set up is- 1100 and 750 rear, 440 ski locker, 440's under the seats in the bow- probably only filling to 250 or so. I have read that filling the bow sacks narrows the wake for wakeboarding and lengthens the wake for surfing. I have been playing with this trying to get it dialed in- wondering what real life experiences people have had.

I definitely see a difference with surfing. None of my crew is that adept at wakeboarding, so when we go, we just use the stock ballast and wedge.

I notice that when I use the wedge for surfing, I need bow ballast so that (1) the driver can see where he's going and (2) it significantly lengthens the sweet spot for the rider. It does reduce the height of the wave, but I would rather have more length to ride back and forth.

re wake surfing - it lengthens my wake

for wakeboarding it thickens up the wake, also it takes away some of the peakiness. I ride with full rears, full belly and bow now with wedge down and I love the wake. empty the bow and the wake becomes peaky...... bow ballast seems to make the wake meatier...

I recently purchased a 2002 SunScape 23LSV, my thirteen year old son says the wake is not steep enough and wash out. I have a 350 belly bag and two 400 rear bags that I run about 50% full with wedge down.

I have heard putting weight in the bow will make the wake steeper is true or false?

From what I have read it sounds like to might lenghten it and prevent some of the wash out.

Your response to this new Malibu Crew member is appreciated.

Mark 57