Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 23 LSV, What options?

sabre

All,

need a little help with options for a new boat.

I asked the dealer about the 410HP engine on the 23 LSV and he said I'd enjoy the power. That being said, I haven't seen many that come with that option. Is it really worth it? I'm going to get the high altitude prop, do I need the power to turn it at sea level?

We're a family of 3, who routinely take at least another family of 4 out with us. All 7 wakeboard (kids are between 6 and 9). We surf occasionally, but that will likely increase with the LSV.

I'm most concerned with the options that can't be or are hard to change once you build the boat. So, I'd skimp on the stereo if I needed to control the price to get another option that is harder to change out (water cooled shaft).

Here's my current thinking/wish list (from ispec). What am I missing? What am I wasting money on?

Ballast - Midship Malibu Launch System

Ballast - Rear Malibu Launch System

Battery - 875 CCA (Taylor)

Floor - Wet Tek Fiberglass w/Snap-out Carpet (Wakesetters only) Yellow

Glove Box - Locking

Heater - 3 Outlet

Lights - Docking (Pair, Stainless, 6 LEDs Ea)

Lights - Transom Underwater (Pair, 9 LEDs Ea)

Rubrail - Stainless (w/through holes)

Seat Bolster - Flip Up (Driver's)

Ski Tow Bar - Rear Grab Handle

Sound Suppression - MSST

Sun Deck - Rear Walk-over

Wedge - Power

Snap-out carpet insert with "WS" (Only Wakesetters w/ Fiberglass Floor) Sterling

Speed Control Precision Pro

Ballast - Monitoring System (BMS)

Gauge Panel - Stainless Steel

Malibu Touch Command (MTC, w/Keyless Start)

MaliView - 6.5" Display System with Depth Finder

Steering Wheel - Isotta Single-spoke

410 HP - Malibu L96 6.0L

Mufflers - Silent Rider

Sound System - Pack 3

Swim Platform - Fiberglass Ebony

Illusion G3 - Tower (w/ Pair Titan Spinner Comb-fork Racks) Black

Edited by sabre

Looks like you have a good start on your options. I haven't looked at the options for the 2012 ... need to do that asap.

Do they offer Flush Pro still?

Alot of people prefer a key to start the boat vs keyless, are keys still an option?

If you do a lot of cold water boating, shower? I have the heated seat and love it.

Edited by MalibuNation

On the 2012 they are actually adding a key hidden underneath the dash in case the screen malfunctions. Another addition is the gas fill setup is changed so that you can leave the spout in there and do whatever without worrying about it overfilling. They are also going to have a new graphic option the is kind of like a wrap and goes over the side of the boat at an angle. These are the only things they are adding.

As far as options you dont have on your list, stereo upgrades are endless but can be added at a later time. Also I didn't see the flocam on your list. I think it's about a 1200 option but from what I've read it is worth it. I'm going back and forth right now between ordering the 23lsv or a VLX butleaning more towards the VLX.

Good luck with your decision.

I would add the Bow ballast to the list. If you surf or get into it more your going to want all the ballast you can get. Why not just go ahead and add it now? Good luck on the new purchase :rockon:

sabre, if you are going to spend more time surfing get the bow ballast, and definately get the HA prop (14.25x14.5) for surfing :rockon:. You might want to get a spare prop like the 537 for a back up. It is a vacation saver to have a spare and a money/gas saver if you occasionally do some long distance runs. The Flocam isn't getting a big thumbs up anywhere that I have read about it so far. The Flush pro is the one thing that would be nice but it is a no brainer to install yourself and you might save some money if you do it yourself. IIRC the kit is about $100.00+ (thru the transom) and I am sure the Malibu price will be higher. The Bimini was a must for me and especially if you have kids. The trailer will most likely be a Boatmate and I have had good luck with them so far. This wasn't and issue for me I have a 30x40 boat garage, but if for no other reason but resale value get the swing away tongue and the spare tire mount. My trailer came with the 18" tires and wheels which is cool now, but I am going to pay for it come new tire time! Not an expense I would of normally sprung for. Had it not been a demo boat I wouldn't of ordered them on a new trailer. Good luck with the new boat.

On the 2012 they are actually adding a key hidden underneath the dash in case the screen malfunctions. Another addition is the gas fill setup is changed so that you can leave the spout in there and do whatever without worrying about it overfilling. They are also going to have a new graphic option the is kind of like a wrap and goes over the side of the boat at an angle. These are the only things they are adding.

As far as options you dont have on your list, stereo upgrades are endless but can be added at a later time. Also I didn't see the flocam on your list. I think it's about a 1200 option but from what I've read it is worth it. I'm going back and forth right now between ordering the 23lsv or a VLX butleaning more towards the VLX.

Good luck with your decision.

Don't waste your money on the Flocam. Every review I've seen on here has said it's not worth the money. You can get something much better for half the price aftermarket.

As above, I think you should add the bow ballast or you may regret it later. The new keyed backup ignition is by the drivers seat along with the breaker panel. The transom installed flush kit is still available and around $250 from the factory. I would suggest you add the 2 battery option to your list. In October the ballast will be upgraded to a high-flow system, cutting fill/empty times in half. They will also offer a Malibu/Indmar GPS speed control and a new fast dry Aqua Fusion mat instead of carpet.

We took out a '10 LSV23 last week with 3500 pounds ballast, 3 people, and with the 350/high altitude prop it had a great hole shot! The standard 1939 prop will be just fine, unless you really plan on loading the boat. Good luck with your order!

Definitly get that 6.0L, its a terrific engine. I have only heard of 1 issue of problems with exhaust headers, everyone else reports they love it.

I have the transom flush option on mine, and I like it. 100% definitly get all 4 tanks of ballast.

I have the aluminum Ibeam trailer and I love it. Also ensure your trailer comes with a spare tire mounted.

Consider a 2nd pair of spinner racks, I wish I had a 2nd pair, but yes they are expensive.

I wish my carpet had the WS embroidery, i think it looks slick. I have the snap out carpet and I like it.

G3 tower mirror should be on there, or you cold buy that from Bakes. Thats worth the $450.

I'd go with the medium level stereo package so that everything is wired and the speakers are there, but no sub and no tower speakers, do those yourself and save a ton of money and have a better product with wetsounds or exile. Def get the 2nd, if not 2 extra batteries installed, but find out exact what brand and size they'll install. Look for the Interstate SRM29s.

I am not sure what the sound supression option is, mine does not have that, I dont have any issues with loud motor or exhaust...

Consider a 2nd set of docking/tie down cleats installed up on the sides of the bow area, they dont have them up there standard, I wish mine had come with them.

What issues are you hearing with the Flocam? My dealer said they sell alot of them and have had good feedback. He had one on one of the boats so I got to see what it looked like. I thought it was pretty clear although it was in a shop and not in the water.

What is the flush pro? I didn't see that when I was looking but could have missed it? Is this kind of the same thing as the inline Perko flush?

I won't be placing my order until Jan/feb so I'm glad to hear that they are upgrading some things, especially the key so that your not stuck if your screen takes a crap.

Also, have you seen any pics of the aqua mat you are talking about? I'm curious to see what that looks like.

One thing I didn't like too much is where they put the batteries(in the compartment under the glove box) since it takes up that storage area. On my centurion I used to store all of my wakesurf and wake boards in there. I will probably move them to the starboard locker when I get it.

Any more additions that you guys have heard of on the 2012 models? I would hope Malibu is taking all the feedback from their customers on the 2010-2011's to improve the 2012 models.

Armyguy, IIRC on the Flocam the biggest downs were the narrow field of view and no zoom. The flush pro/perko is an inline device between the raw water p/u and the v drive that allows you to attach a garden hose either on the transom or in the boat that gets rid of the toilet bowl plunger/fake-a-lake for when you run the boat in the drive way to winterize/work on it. A nice option, but IMO definately not a $250.00 option! The aqua mat is like what they are putting in the Centurions (Seadek) I believe. You could relocate the batteries, but if you get the front ballast you aren't going to have the pass through to the front of the boat anyway because of the bulk head unless they build the non-front ballast boats differently than my f/ballasted '10, which they may.

Few recommendations...

- I would go with Soundpack one, and then install your own aftermarket system. Many people have issues with Malibus factory system, plus you will be able to get better components for a better price. Have a professional do it who specializes in custom systems.

- Quad board racks (extra set), if you want extra storage for surfboards, more wakeboards

- Heated drivers seat, great for cold weather sking

- G3 Tower mirror

- The 3 vent heater only has one snorkel pop out, you can order two extra tubes from Bakes for about $100, then you will have three pop-outs. There will be two fixed vents under drivers helm area with the stock setup.

- Wakeboard prop (high altitude)

- Dripless shaft seal

- Hotwater shower - great for coldweather skiing/camping

-Trailer - definitely 4 wheel disc brakes, spare tire, ratchet tie downs, LED lights, prop guard rollers

Edited by Fman

Disagree, dockiing lights are a cheap upgrade, and work great for late evening runs and putting your boat back on the trailer.

They changed the docking lights to the led model a few years back and they are a huge improvement that Molarbu has. I thought the same thing until I had the 2011 on the lake at night.

All,

need a little help with options for a new boat.

I asked the dealer about the 410HP engine on the 23 LSV and he said I'd enjoy the power. That being said, I haven't seen many that come with that option. Is it really worth it? I'm going to get the high altitude prop, do I need the power to turn it at sea level?

We're a family of 3, who routinely take at least another family of 4 out with us. All 7 wakeboard (kids are between 6 and 9). We surf occasionally, but that will likely increase with the LSV.

I'm most concerned with the options that can't be or are hard to change once you build the boat. So, I'd skimp on the stereo if I needed to control the price to get another option that is harder to change out (water cooled shaft).

Here's my current thinking/wish list (from ispec). What am I missing? What am I wasting money on?

Ballast - Midship Malibu Launch System

Ballast - Rear Malibu Launch System

Battery - 875 CCA (Taylor)

Floor - Wet Tek Fiberglass w/Snap-out Carpet (Wakesetters only) Yellow

Glove Box - Locking

Heater - 3 Outlet

Lights - Docking (Pair, Stainless, 6 LEDs Ea)

Lights - Transom Underwater (Pair, 9 LEDs Ea)

Rubrail - Stainless (w/through holes)

Seat Bolster - Flip Up (Driver's)

Ski Tow Bar - Rear Grab Handle

Sound Suppression - MSST

Sun Deck - Rear Walk-over

Wedge - Power

Snap-out carpet insert with "WS" (Only Wakesetters w/ Fiberglass Floor) Sterling

Speed Control Precision Pro

Ballast - Monitoring System (BMS)

Gauge Panel - Stainless Steel

Malibu Touch Command (MTC, w/Keyless Start)

MaliView - 6.5" Display System with Depth Finder

Steering Wheel - Isotta Single-spoke

410 HP - Malibu L96 6.0L

Mufflers - Silent Rider

Sound System - Pack 3

Swim Platform - Fiberglass Ebony

Illusion G3 - Tower (w/ Pair Titan Spinner Comb-fork Racks) Black

I'd get the bigger engine, IMO the LSV should come standard with it. I'd skip the rediculously expensive racks from Malibu and get some Samson racks after you get the boat, they are a superior product IMO.

Skip the stereo completely, or just get sound pack 1. Have a shop do one for you. Unless you absolutely don't care about tunes in your boat the factory option is a weak one and you'll be replacing it all anyways and you'll never sell it for what you paid for it.

They changed the docking lights to the led model a few years back and they are a huge improvement that Molarbu has. I thought the same thing until I had the 2011 on the lake at night.

Glad to hear it! Mine are a #$@&*# joke!

What issues are you hearing with the Flocam? My dealer said they sell alot of them and have had good feedback. He had one on one of the boats so I got to see what it looked like. I thought it was pretty clear although it was in a shop and not in the water.

What is the flush pro? I didn't see that when I was looking but could have missed it? Is this kind of the same thing as the inline Perko flush?

I won't be placing my order until Jan/feb so I'm glad to hear that they are upgrading some things, especially the key so that your not stuck if your screen takes a crap.

Also, have you seen any pics of the aqua mat you are talking about? I'm curious to see what that looks like.

One thing I didn't like too much is where they put the batteries(in the compartment under the glove box) since it takes up that storage area. On my centurion I used to store all of my wakesurf and wake boards in there. I will probably move them to the starboard locker when I get it.

Any more additions that you guys have heard of on the 2012 models? I would hope Malibu is taking all the feedback from their customers on the 2010-2011's to improve the 2012 models.

Scroll to the top of this thread and read about the flo-cam. You can do much more and get better quality video with a go-pro.

Edited by jtrovato

Armyguy, IIRC on the Flocam the biggest downs were the narrow field of view and no zoom. The flush pro/perko is an inline device between the raw water p/u and the v drive that allows you to attach a garden hose either on the transom or in the boat that gets rid of the toilet bowl plunger/fake-a-lake for when you run the boat in the drive way to winterize/work on it. A nice option, but IMO definately not a $250.00 option! The aqua mat is like what they are putting in the Centurions (Seadek) I believe. You could relocate the batteries, but if you get the front ballast you aren't going to have the pass through to the front of the boat anyway because of the bulk head unless they build the non-front ballast boats differently than my f/ballasted '10, which they may.

I'm ordering the flush kit to aid in regular maintenance, my service mgr says it's best to not run CAT engines on a fake-a-lake. I've never asked why, but they don't and hook a water supply direct to the raw water intake hose...the $250 from the factory is list and installed. The fusion mat is not Seadek, unless they are making a new product. I've only seen pictures and giving it a try to get away from drying out carpet. I have also noticed the '12's do not have the cushioned Seadek on the swim platform, it's harder and more like the faux teak pad they make.

As above, I think you should add the bow ballast or you may regret it later. The new keyed backup ignition is by the drivers seat along with the breaker panel. The transom installed flush kit is still available and around $250 from the factory. I would suggest you add the 2 battery option to your list. In October the ballast will be upgraded to a high-flow system, cutting fill/empty times in half. They will also offer a Malibu/Indmar GPS speed control and a new fast dry Aqua Fusion mat instead of carpet.

We took out a '10 LSV23 last week with 3500 pounds ballast, 3 people, and with the 350/high altitude prop it had a great hole shot! The standard 1939 prop will be just fine, unless you really plan on loading the boat. Good luck with your order!

:plus1:

Also they will have a new technology so if you like to get pulled out of the water a certain way it will always pull you out like that. Just like a pre-set for speed. Wait till after they announce it in October before ordering! The new faster ballast pumps and 1" holes will make it alot quicker, I find mine quick now so it would be even better for the 2012's.

Go with at least two batteries, always.

The back up key under the dash is a GREAT thing.

I’m not sure of the stereo option but stay away from the Fosgate touch screen. It’s not reliable.

In fact, I would eliminate any touch screens if at all possible. I have not had good luck with mine.

Specifically ask the dealer if there are any known engine overheat issues with the heater option. Ask him to get that info direct from Indmar if he hasn’t heard of it.

All, thanks for the input. The options I listed were those I could find on iSpec. I certianly want the second battery, will wait for October so I can get the faster pumps, The flush kit would be something that I'd either get or put in myself (not that big of a deal), Heater may also be aftermarket depending on the costs. I recently added it to mine and it was an easy install. I will be getting an extra set of racks. Does anyone know if you can get the z5 on the G3? I'd get the z5 instead of the combo surf/wakeboard racks and just get a second pair of wakeboard racks. Tower mirror and trailer were also both assumed but not on the iSpec options.

Any idea on the price range I'd be looking at? $80K, $100K, $150K (just joking, it's not a MC)

Edited by sabre

You should be right at $80k or so, + or - . You have a few options on there driving the price up about another 5k--heater, racks lights, battery setup, embroidery, flush... but ordering this far out you should be able to get some discounts and incentives. Depends on your trailer, mirror and some of the other stuff not listed. Your MSRP will read between $100-110K or so.

You should be right at $80k or so, + or - . You have a few options on there driving the price up about another 5k--heater, racks lights, battery setup, embroidery, flush... but ordering this far out you should be able to get some discounts and incentives. Depends on your trailer, mirror and some of the other stuff not listed. Your MSRP will read between $100-110K or so.

Great!, That's where we wanted to be.

I have the 350 in my boat and it has been great for surfing, boarding and skiing. We usually have 6-10 people but no ballast other than the 4 stock tanks. Bow ballast is a must have. Deck walk over is great. Heater is good and I will be adding the additional hoses as previously mentioned. Extra spinner racks are really nice if you expect a few friends to bring their own boards. Brakes on both axels on the trailer are a must have alond with spare tire holder under the boat and ratcheting rear tie downs. I have the sound pack 3 with one set of factory tower speakers and added an EQ and love the system. Wish I had the removable carpet. Also would like an extended pylon for surfing. If you are somewhere hot the Bimini is great. Skip the factory cover and go for the evolution, not a big increase in price over the dealer cover.

Consider looking for a left over 2011 toward the end of the year as you can likely save a lot of money over what you are budgeting. Mine was used by the dealer for a couple of demo weekends and had 8 hours on it. I figured that was perfect as anything that wasn't quite right from the factory would have been fixed as they wouldn't want to bring customers out in a boat that had issues.

Good luck. You will really like whatever you end up with.