Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

whats red line on 1999 sporster Corvette edition ?

Malibu B.C.

Sounds like some mis-information in this thread. From my research and experience:

- LS1 rev limiter is 5600 RPM

- LS1 is 346ci, not 350. GEN-I and GEN-II (LT1/LT4) motors are 350ci...which GEN-I SBC's also available in other displacements as well

- LS1 rev limiter doesn't matter, since this boat doesn't have one. All my research has found the LS1 wasn't available until 2000 in a Malibu.

- According to the Malibu brochure, only motors available in the Sporster were a few different GEN-I SBC motors - none of which were the Callaway motor. They didn't offer the "Corvette motor option" in 1999, you had to buy the Corvette boat.

- In 1999, the Corvette boat had the 383 Callaway motor, which was a hopped up GEN-I SBC.

- 1999 Corvette boat was very confused. It has a GEN-I SBC, which wasn't available in the Corvette since 1991 (92-95 was the LT1 and LT5, 96 was the LT1 and LT4, 97-2000 was LS1). They at least updated the "taillights" to the C5 (97-04) style, unlike the 1998 which sported C4 taillights. Yet the trailer had some earlier C4 sawblade wheels, and the interior was more C4 like than C5 like. Weird.

Pics of that would be cool. I am guessing that it is a standard SBC, not an LS version. The redline for a small block Chevy engine is at least 6000 rpm, that is for the hard parts themselves, that is what the engine will withstand. The marinizers will indicate a redline that will be less than that for a variety of reasons. With the prop installed by Malibu, the boat will probably pull around 5-5300 rpm maximum, thus not issues on over rev issues. Many times, the rev limiter will be set to allow the prop to "leave the water" and the sudden spin up in revs will be caught by the rev limiter and allow the overshoot to stay below the critical speed of the engine itself. These tend to be the big water fast boats as they will tend to launch from wave peak to wave peak. Not really a concern for a tourney ski boat as swamping would be a much bigger concern for the operator at that point!

Nitrous bird appears to be correct. I looked at the Indmar manual attached to the link in our resources area and if definitely refers to an LS1 (for the 1999 manual). But, that must have been a mistake.

Nitrous bird appears to be correct. I looked at the Indmar manual attached to the link in our resources area and if definitely refers to an LS1 (for the 1999 manual). But, that must have been a mistake.

The links in the resource area are wrong. They same manual is linked from 1995 - 2004. The LS1 first came out in 1997 in the Vette. It's just simply incorrect.

Sounds like some mis-information in this thread. From my research and experience:

- LS1 rev limiter is 5600 RPM

- LS1 is 346ci, not 350. GEN-I and GEN-II (LT1/LT4) motors are 350ci...which GEN-I SBC's also available in other displacements as well

- LS1 rev limiter doesn't matter, since this boat doesn't have one. All my research has found the LS1 wasn't available until 2000 in a Malibu.

I guess it depends on what you want to question. If the owner is unsure or simply posted his understanding of what engine he's looking at, then yes, it could be he has any number of engines in the Sportster. On the other hand, most owners will lump the LS1 together with other "350's", as 346ci is pretty darn close to 350. Similar to calling it an LS-1 or a LS1. Not everyone are car buffs or gearheads that owns a Malibu, but that's okay, there is plenty of room for everyone.

All Indmar engines have rev limiters, and the LS1's first year might have been as high as 6000, but if the ecm was recalibrated since new it might have been dropped to further limits in the 5600-5650 range, as you stated.

In terms of this boat not having an LS1, lets not pass judgement on that until it's proven. There are lots of unique boats out there, and one just never knows....I've got a 1995 Flightcraft with a LS1 in it.

If I recall right, the 1997-1999 Corvettes had the Callaway 383. The 2000 Corvette had the LS1 in it.

The short answer is really to find out what rpm it runs at WOT now, and if it's below 5250, it can be propped down to get to at least that. If it's already over that, then it's not a Monsoon....

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

I guess it depends on what you want to question. If the owner is unsure or simply posted his understanding of what engine he's looking at, then yes, it could be he has any number of engines in the Sportster. On the other hand, most owners will lump the LS1 together with other "350's", as 346ci is pretty darn close to 350. Similar to calling it an LS-1 or a LS1. Not everyone are car buffs or gearheads that owns a Malibu, but that's okay, there is plenty of room for everyone.

Lumping an LS1 in with as a "350" is fairly misinformed, since the standard convention is the 350 being refered to as a GEN-I SBC. About the only things the GEN-I and GEN-III have in common is being 8 cylinder, OHV motors. LS-1 is also incorrect. :) Now LT-1 is correct for the old 70's SBC, and different than the 92-97 LT1 motor.

All Indmar engines have rev limiters, and the LS1's first year might have been as high as 6000, but if the ecm was recalibrated since new it might have been dropped to further limits in the 5600-5650 range, as you stated.

6000 RPM seems pretty high. Not that an LS1 won't spin that and beyond a bit stock (and safely to around 7000 with the right valvetrain on a stock shortblock), I

In terms of this boat not having an LS1, lets not pass judgement on that until it's proven. There are lots of unique boats out there, and one just never knows....I've got a 1995 Flightcraft with a LS1 in it.

Any boat could have anything with a motor swap - one assumes if a boat has a non-stock motor,

If I recall right, the 1997-1999 Corvettes had the Callaway 383. The 2000 Corvette had the LS1 in it.

That sounds right from the research I've done on them.