Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Handle Pass

StarOneWake

I am in need of some serious tips on how to get the handle pass.. I have been trying for to long now and it is really holding me back from progressing.. I can throw the spins, 360's, 540's, and 720's and be on axis but I cant seem to pass the handle.. Help me Malibu Crew..

So you can spin 720 and land without the handle? I am impressed :rockon: I more or less refuse to fly through the air backwards :crazy:

Maybe try getting on a needboard and spin round and round for awhile. Seems to me like it would be a similar motion without as much falling.

So you can spin 720 and land without the handle? I am impressed :rockon: I more or less refuse to fly through the air backwards :crazy:

Maybe try getting on a needboard and spin round and round for awhile. Seems to me like it would be a similar motion without as much falling.

Or take the fins off you wakeboarding and do surface spins until you're dizzy.

Or take the fins off you wakeboarding and do surface spins until you're dizzy.

I dont ride with fins and I can do surface 3's, but I just cant seem to get the handle while in the air... Is there a certian technique..

I dont ride with fins and I can do surface 3's, but I just cant seem to get the handle while in the air... Is there a certian technique..

How close in are you keeping the handle to your waist as you take off?

How close in are you keeping the handle to your waist as you take off?

It feels like I have it in close and I am not getting pulled over when I put it around the back. I just cant seem to grab it with the other hand.. It might be just something mental.. I will get a couple videos this afternoon and post them tomorrow, then yall can tell me what the heck I am doing wrong...

trampoline.......tie a line with handle to a nearby tree or something solid........practice this way

"plus 1"

I do that,, still wipe out more than land anything.:whistle:

A lot of it has to do with line tension which is hard to simulate on a tramp or on the surface. Make sure you are popping straight up and then at the peak of your jump pulling the handle with both hands. A good handle pull will leave plenty of slack in the line and initiate a quick rotation, making the actual handle pass much easier.

A lot of it has to do with line tension which is hard to simulate on a tramp or on the surface. Make sure you are popping straight up and then at the peak of your jump pulling the handle with both hands. A good handle pull will leave plenty of slack in the line and initiate a quick rotation, making the actual handle pass much easier.

That I have not heard before but makes perfect sense in my head.. Thanks

Edited by StarOneWake

One way to break it down is like this:

1. Go out and do your normal surface 360. Then try to do one where you edge out really hard on your heel side edge, flatten out and pull the handle to initiate the spin. This will make it more like an air 360 rather than one you do directly behind the boat.

2. Do a surface 180, then edge out switch toeside (like you are setting up for a switch heel side cut) and do a few backside 180s from this position. This might sound confusing, but it's the second half of a heelside regular 360, the handle pass part of it.

3. Now slow the boat down to about 16 or 17 mph and starting near the right hand side wake (assuming you are regular) edge across and jump off the other wake. This is called an inside-out wake jump. Do a few of those to get used to it, then do a jump 180 off of the wake. After you get the jump 180 off of the inside out wake jump, try to do the 180 and then the surface switch toeside 180. This is now the whole 360 but half in the air and half on the water.

4. Part 3, when done with an aggressive handle pull, will end up being a 360 pretty quickly. The nice part is you're going slower so the falls are easier, and since you're not coming down as hard you can slide the board on the water if you dont get a full 360 rotation.

5. Go back and try some wake to wake 360s. Even if you haven't been able to do the first 4 parts of this successfully, the parts you can do will help you progress towards doing the wake to wake 360. Lots of people have trouble with part 2, but trying it still helps with the movements required for a 360.

Good luck, have fun! Would love to see some video!

I'm not much into wakeboarding but I am a Trick Skier and do 540s off the wake . The techniques on the spins should be pretty close. Dry land practice is a huge help. You don't necessarily need a trampoline to get the feel for a basic handle pass. Just get a 5' handle, stick a bungee cord or two on it and fasten it to a tree or dock piling.

The key is to think about where you are putting the handle. Don't think about hands, think about putting the handle directly into the small of your back. Start with both hands knuckles up (you probably already know this), your arms in somewhat, then as you jump up (grass is nice for soft landings), lead the turn with your head and pull the handle into your back while rotating it downward and in. Now when you reach for it, it's in a close position to be able to grab it. Now let go with the first hand and keep it close in as you continue to the front.

Hope this helps!

I am in need of some serious tips on how to get the handle pass.. I have been trying for to long now and it is really holding me back from progressing.. I can throw the spins, 360's, 540's, and 720's and be on axis but I cant seem to pass the handle.. Help me Malibu Crew..

Try www.learnwake.com. Plenty of vids and drills. Also check www.wakeboardingmag.com and search "handle pass".

I'm not much into wakeboarding but I am a Trick Skier and do 540s off the wake . The techniques on the spins should be pretty close. Dry land practice is a huge help. You don't necessarily need a trampoline to get the feel for a basic handle pass. Just get a 5' handle, stick a bungee cord or two on it and fasten it to a tree or dock piling.

The key is to think about where you are putting the handle. Don't think about hands, think about putting the handle directly into the small of your back. Start with both hands knuckles up (you probably already know this), your arms in somewhat, then as you jump up (grass is nice for soft landings), lead the turn with your head and pull the handle into your back while rotating it downward and in. Now when you reach for it, it's in a close position to be able to grab it. Now let go with the first hand and keep it close in as you continue to the front.

Hope this helps!

Great tip! I am having the same trouble as the op is and i think this will help me a lot. Thanks for the advise

One of the wakeboard camps suggests tying a handle to a milk jug with water in it and passing the handle around your body. You stand still at first. Once you get a feel for it then you can start rotating your body 360 as well. Do this until the handle pass feels natural and then tie that handle to a boat.

One of the wakeboard camps suggests tying a handle to a milk jug with water in it and passing the handle around your body. You stand still at first. Once you get a feel for it then you can start rotating your body 360 as well. Do this until the handle pass feels natural and then tie that handle to a boat.

I use a laundry detergent bottle an my normal handle. The more water you put in it the harder it becomes and spins faster. Great little practice for whenever your bored.

this is really good point, I come off edge and angle a bit toward the boat which gives the line the slack u need to better do handle pass