Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Insurance, Coverage, and Claims

SmoothWaterMan

I thought I'd bring this back to the top again just to be fair to Progressive. My experience with them has been great. In addition to my claim for hitting an underwater object, I had some nicks in the gelcoat from a trailer loading mishap at the beginning of the season, just after we got the boat. Progressive wouldn't lump that damage into the same claim, but did oversee getting a quote for the extra work at the same shop that was fixing the gel from the underwater hit. And after getting the quote, he called me and recommended I do a second claim and get those nicks fixed as well. Anyway, I've been very impressed with Progressive so far.

• 5 months later...

A few things I have been told about insurance over the years:

• Keep home and auto policies separate from 'toy' policies. In the event of a large claim on a toy policy, the home and auto policies should not be affected (Dropped..)
  • Only go with a 'marine' policy from an establishment that caters to marine insurance.
  • Agreed value for boat and traler are a good idea, but only available for __# of years after new.
  • Hull and machinery coverage--- make sure it is agreed value-with no depreciation.
  • Emergency and towing.
  • ***Containment spill/pollution Liability*** This could be a huge liability that YOU would pay for in the event your boat sinks. (My coverage is $800K -included in policy not extra.) Any Sheriff can order the clean up and salvage of your boat and YOU HAVE to pay for it!
  • *Uninsured Boater
  • ***All risk coverage -- fire, theft, collision, vandalism, underwater obstruction damage, watersports, trailering and storage.
  • ***12 month coverage with NO LAY UP PERIOD.

Wow.. a year and a half and I'm back...

P

Has anyone in California made a claim with progressive? I am using them, never had a claim yet but all the negative feedback is not reassuring. I know California has very strict claim procedures insurance companies must follow.

I went with progressive because they have a guaranteed replacement policy. If your boat sinks, burns up. Etc. You will recieve a brand new boat identical to what you had. I also have a 1.5 million umbrella policy and they were better priced than many. Also no layup period either.

Anyone have a good experience with progressive? I just renewed my policy again with them.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

On April 27, 2011, my house was hit by one of the tornadoes that came through North Alabama. It destroyed my house, one of my cars, and ruined my previous boat, a 2007 Glastron GT185. I had everything with State Farm. They paid me WELL. On the boat (including trailer) & car, they paid me my policy limits. Due to an ignorant adjuster, I had to go through a little back & forth with them on the house, but in the end, they sent a 2nd adjuster who was far and knowledgable. State Farm is so big that they were a little slow getting to my claim, but once they did, they REALLY took care of me. I would recommend them to anyone.

My new boat is insured through Boaters Insurance (OneBeacon Insurance) because of the 5-year warranty deal that they have with Malibu. If it wasn't for that, I'd be going back to State Farm.

• 4 months later...

Recently my mechanic asked me who my insurance was with. When I told him Progressive, he commented that he hoped I didn't have any trouble because they were awful to the repair shops with low ball estimates. The last dealings he had with them, they insisted on only paying for a "used shaft" instead of a new shaft even though there were no used shafts available. He eventually got everything worked out but only after a lot of negotiating. He also mentioned the other insurance companies mentioned above as being good to deal with. Guess I better start looking. Luckily, after 30 years of boating I have never had a claim.

Depending on the condition and value of the boat, the adjustor may consider used parts, but if you get involved and they see the condition of the boat, they will usually go with new oem parts. I bent the drive shaft, cracked the glass supporting the drive shaft strut, bent the strut arm, and a seal on the back of the tranny, on my 97 sunsetter, and Progressive replaced everything with new parts, and never once questioned the cost of the glasswork. I think the total was about $2800 when all was said and done. I have not been back to the Mississippi River since. Usually if Progressive has a rub with a body shop, its because of a claim disagreement in the past, and the relationship is very hard to improve going forward. I should also add that the tranny leak was a supplemental check that Progressive had no problem paying after the initial settlement check was paid. Open communication about what is expected prior to any work, is the key to a smooth claims process.

My Dad told me many, many years ago to never take a check from an Insurance company before the repairs have been done. Once you accept that check, they can consider this as a settlement and any undiscovered damage won't get paid for.

You may also want to consider who is running Progressive insurance. It's no coincidence that the name is the same as a far left political ideology. Scroll to near the end of this story:

http://www.theblaze....bama-democrats/

That may have been true in the past, but as an independent agent, I can tell you that companies very frequently cut a supplemental checks. if in doubt, ask the adjustor, or if you prefer, talk to your agent.

One man's experience: I had a trailer claim with Progressive last summer and they were great. Blew out 2 tires and damaged the rims and fenders, and they covered all repairs except the tires no questions asked. Covered more than I thought they probably should of and they made the whole process easy.

I had a trailer claim with progressive a couple years ago. Mastercraft has these beautiful fiberglass fenders that rip to shreds when you get a flat. A new fender is almost $1,000. I was wishing for some nice metal fenders at that point. But the claim was paid appropriately. I was also delighted to learn that my trailer deductible was less than my boat. $250 vs. $500.

But after Peter's negative feedback, I am tempted to reconsider. Thanks for the interesting thread.