Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Used boat buying tips needed

h2ojunkie

Heading south to buy a 08' VTX w tandem trailer and looking for any advise tips ect... from the knowledgeable folks on this site. I'm fairly mechanincally inclined so good details on engine stuff, trailer stuff ect... would be appreciated and hopefully help others as well.

I was told that a compression test was done on the motor (250hrs on it) and that it all checks out. Hoping to see a print out on that. They said they "thought thaey have it somewhere" and they have all the service records and the recall stuff was done at their dealer. We are testing the boat out at a lake near them,so wanting to check all pumps ect...

Taking my own multimeter to check any voltage issues, alternator stuff ect... anything you can think of along those lines would be helpful.

Any and all tips, advise ect... would be much appreciated as I leave Wed am, south bound. Tks

One of the first things I can think of being that your driving a good distance is to ensure that it has good tires on on the trailer.

If it has amps make sure they work as well as the headunit, cabin speaker and tower.

Edited by srintx

Check the trailer's brake fluid & the discs & tires for odd wear.

Drive the boat, ski or board behind it. Run the pumps thru the motions. Pay close attention to what the gauges tell you while your out there.

Ask the guy where he had it serviced & then call them & ask about it.

Check all the lights, especially the bow & tower nav lights.

Good luck & have fun!

Not Sure if its too late or not,

Check for corrosion from salt water use/ bad maintenance. Check the following;

- ECU Case

- Glove Box Lid

- Dash surround

- Tower and tower speakers

- External fittings wedge etc

- Engine Cover Badge

Check trim for torn or rotten stitching

Check prop and rudder for damage

Check transmission oil is clean and doesn't smell burnt

As stated above check the function of all equipment.

Before towing it home check the trailer wheel bearings ! Make sure they don't have water in them, I almost got caught out by this one the other week when I picked up my new boat.

Cheers

Stewart