Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

In need of a trailer .. BAD

tonyc

Hello All,

I registered 6 minutes ago and this is my initial post. So, if I've posted in the wrong 'area', my apologies. I purchased a 1990 Skier 4 years ago. I live on a quiet lake and have been yanking barefooters, slalom skiers, wakeboarders and tubers since. The boat '....was only used in fresh water".. so said the previous owner, but I am faced with a completely rusted Eagle trailer. With summer fading, and fall on top of us with winter not far behind, I'm looking for a used trailer that will fit the bill. I trailer the boat approx 4 miles a year. 2 miles in the spring to dump 'er in, 2 miles in the fall to give 'er a rest while the leaves, snow fall. Anyone out there have any suggestions? I've lookied for the past several weeks, and can't find anything that will work. Thanks to all for you help!

If it's just a rusty trailer, take it to a body shop after pulling the bunks and let them sandblast and paint the trailer. I bet it turns out nice. Throw some new lumber with bunk carpet on it and your set. You could re-do the bunks while the body shop has the trailer. The PO of my boat restored the trailer with the boat and it looks great. It will cost you a lot less and you know it fits the boat well. Most body shops could have that done in a week or two which will get you on the trailer well before winter.

If it's just a rusty trailer, take it to a body shop after pulling the bunks and let them sandblast and paint the trailer. I bet it turns out nice. Throw some new lumber with bunk carpet on it and your set. You could re-do the bunks while the body shop has the trailer. The PO of my boat restored the trailer with the boat and it looks great. It will cost you a lot less and you know it fits the boat well. Most body shops could have that done in a week or two which will get you on the trailer well before winter.

I would caution you that as bad as it looks on the outside the damage is usually 10 times as bad internally. If you are showing signigicant rust on the cross members then I would take it to a qualified welding shop and have them do some testing to see how extensive the rust is on the inside.

I would not underestimate the integrity of the trailer. Have a professional check it out before you invest in a trailer that is on its last leg.

That being said since it only gets moved a few miles each year this is less of an issues and I might be more interested in a refurb. If you have the time get some pait thinner, wire brush attached to a drill, some ospho and go to town. And then you can repaint it yourself. If I only used it a few miles each year I would not invest in media blasting and paiting far too pricey for how it's used IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

When my previous boat was about 7 years old, I stored it in my Dad's new pole barn for the winter. New barn and new concrete. Best I can figure, as the concrete cured the moisture content around the trailer got pretty high, and my trailer was covered with rust by springtime.

I sanded it down completely (hand sanded) washed and scrubbed to get the gunk off, and then spray painted it with Rustoleum Gloss black in small cans. Not much cost, and it still looked good when I sold it about 10 years later.

I only had surface rust, nothing on the insides.