Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

03 sunscape gas tank removal

I have a 03 21ft sunscape that has a loose tracking fin and I need to remove the gas tank to tighten the bolts. I've pulled out the rear seat to get at the tank, but there isn't enough room to get the tank out. The tank is tucked up under the floor board (floor panel is off) and needs to slide back to come out. I can't side it back because it hits the transmition. Dealer told me I had to pull the motor and tranny to get the tank out. Any truth to that? Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

No thats not true. The wall that the seat above the v-drive sits on has to be removed. There are screws holding to the floor and to the walls that the side seats sit on. Take this wall out and lift the tank out from the end by the v-drive. I had the same thing happen to me. You need to remove all the gas from tank. One other thing you will need is a bottle jack to lift up on the back wall. I'm refering to the wall that you lean againest when your sitting on the back seat above the v-drive. Part of the wall above the gas tank goes under this wall. If you jack it up just a little it will slide right out.

No thats not true. The wall that the seat above the v-drive sits on has to be removed. There are screws holding to the floor and to the walls that the side seats sit on. Take this wall out and lift the tank out from the end by the v-drive. I had the same thing happen to me. You need to remove all the gas from tank. One other thing you will need is a bottle jack to lift up on the back wall. I'm refering to the wall that you lean againest when your sitting on the back seat above the v-drive. Part of the wall above the gas tank goes under this wall. If you jack it up just a little it will slide right out.

Thanks for the response. I have taken all the seat supports and upholstery out of the back end. the problem I am having is that the front of the tank, just behind the ski locker is tucked up under the floor about a foot. I can't seem to get enough room to to clear the transmission with out it binding on the underside of the floor. I was afraid to reef too hard on it in fear of ruining the floor board. Not sure if the floor is corregated aluminum or fiberglass. The floor panel is aluminum.

Is your boat a 21' lsv?