Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change at End or Beginning of Season?

cooncesean

high RPM's for long periods of time? haha my last malibu hardly ever went over 2500rpm, thats just a little faster than an idle, never had any problems with the boat and thats why l bought another malibu!

Ok, we have three groups, change at end or season, or change at begining or change at both.

I used to change the oil in my trucks every 3000 miles. Then GM put the computer on them that supposedly analyzes the use and determines the oil life. Following the computer, the oil change interval with my use of the truck is around 7000. Not sure why GM put that computer in the truck, maybe to cut down on maintence, but my dealer still would like me to bring it in more often.

I remembered reading once about the NY Cab study, where someone tested oil change intervals on NY cabs, with no real conclusion

I cant't find anything but a reference to the study, but here is one link

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/Oiltest.html

and here is where Amsoil Oil welded the oil drain shut on some taxi cabs

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/amsoil_testimonies/satisfied_customers_cars/oil-comparison-using-new-york-taxi-cabs-with-amsoil-10w40-oil.php

I realize that boats are different, so I try to stick to the 50 hours, at the end of the season. I even sent a sample to Blackstone Labs for $25 and got a report as a baseline, which essentially told me that my monsoon was normal, but that the key will be comparing the initial lab report to next years lab report. One test on a normal engine is just a baseline.

Edited by Bozboat

My last boat I did not change the oil until spring, had 235 hours on the engine, dealer did a compression and leakdown test and passed with no problems. I will do my VLX when I winterize this time, but my old boat seemed fine doing the changes in Spring and leaving the older oil in the engine over winter.

Ok, we have three groups, change at end or season, or change at begining or change at both.

I used to change the oil in my trucks every 3000 miles. Then GM put the computer on them that supposedly analyzes the use and determines the oil life. Following the computer, the oil change interval with my use of the truck is around 7000. Not sure why GM put that computer in the truck, maybe to cut down on maintence, but my dealer still would like me to bring it in more often.

I remembered reading once about the NY Cab study, where someone tested oil change intervals on NY cabs, with no real conclusion

I cant't find anything but a reference to the study, but here is one link

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/Oiltest.html

and here is where Amsoil Oil welded the oil drain shut on some taxi cabs

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/amsoil_testimonies/satisfied_customers_cars/oil-comparison-using-new-york-taxi-cabs-with-amsoil-10w40-oil.php

I realize that boats are different, so I try to stick to the 50 hours, at the end of the season. I even sent a sample to Blackstone Labs for $25 and got a report as a baseline, which essentially told me that my monsoon was normal, but that the key will be comparing the initial lab report to next years lab report. One test on a normal engine is just a baseline.

The computer you are talking aobut is an hour meter. Same as on your boat. It makes no difference if you are idling or zipping down the freeway, the computer/clock ticks the same.

The computer you are talking aobut is an hour meter. Same as on your boat. It makes no difference if you are idling or zipping down the freeway, the computer/clock ticks the same.

I would change your oil every 50 hrs and at the end of the season. There tends to be higher acidity levels in used oil. Better not to let that sit in there all winter unless it was just changed and has very low hours.

Noted earlier by sixball, but leaving oil in the pan for an extended period of time will allow the contaminants to stlle to the bottom and over time will allow sludge to build up in the bottom of the pan, or more correctly more sludge than if you drain the oil out prior to a long storage period. It is also much better to drain the oil when warm, so a good hard run for the end of the season is helpful to allow the hottest oil possible (lower viscosity thus better flow characteristics) to drain from the engine. Also, excellent suggestion on the oil filter, make sure it is pretty full when reinstalling to allow the least amount of time for no oil pressure when starting back up. I always pull the plugs for that spring start up and make sure the engine gets a 30 second turn over so there will be oil pressure when starting back up, you can also simply pull the coil wire to spin over as an alternate. Not sure that storing oil in the oil pan or in the original container makes very much difference in terms of contamination, shelf like is certainly not an issue.

That's not accurate. The oil life system is affected by cold starts, operating temperature, length of trips, rpm, load, and other variables.

http://www.mycertifiedservice.com/Services/OilChange.jsp

So, as to the boat, 50 hours has always been a recommendation across the board, even for the hardest of users. 50 hours on a wakecamp boat is not the same as the way we use ours. I'd say end of season. No need to change in the spring.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Well, the sacred owners manual tells me that it monitors driving conditions , rpms, temp, speed, etc and then calculates when to change the oil, it would be disappointing to think that it was nothing more than a timer. I will double check the owners manual.

Well, the sacred owners manual tells me that it monitors driving conditions , rpms, temp, speed, etc and then calculates when to change the oil, it would be disappointing to think that it was nothing more than a timer. I will double check the owners manual.

It is more than an hour meter - because mine will vary on when a change is needed based on where and how I drive.

Starting once and driving 4000 miles (unlikely - but go with it) is easier on an engine that starting 1000 times and driving 4000 miles in a bunch of short trips.

Edit - my truck just told me I am at 2% life remaining and I am at about 7000 miles on this oil change.

Edited by Soon2BV

Started using that this year since it's readily available locally.

Found a thread through the search confirming it is ok....picked up a 5 litre jug at Canadian Tire on sale for $18.99...which is a good deal here...usually about $25 per

anyone use Shell Rotella T 15w 40?...I hear it is a good substitue for the recommended Pennzoil

Certianly good oil as it meets all the same specs that the penzoil marine does, almost all diesel oil does though.

I have an oil change that is very necessary (~90 hours since the last one). We probably have about 2 more weekends out on the water this season and I'm wondering:

Is it better to do an oil change at the beginning or the end of the season?

Does anybody have any experience either way?

Do you know the oil change interval is 50 hours? 90 hours is way too long on a oil change with our motors and the high rpm's we run.

End of Season for sure, since our motors run so cold we build up a lot of contaminates and ever moisture in the oil. It is highly suggested from Indmar to store the motor with clean fluids (oil, transmission and V-drive over the winter.

Hope this helps you understand better

Paul

anyone use Shell Rotella T 15w 40?...I hear it is a good substitue for the recommended Pennzoil

I've used it for 3 years now with no issues.

It is more than an hour meter - because mine will vary on when a change is needed based on where and how I drive.

Starting once and driving 4000 miles (unlikely - but go with it) is easier on an engine that starting 1000 times and driving 4000 miles in a bunch of short trips.

Edit - my truck just told me I am at 2% life remaining and I am at about 7000 miles on this oil change.

I drove my Bravada 4000 miles (mostly highway on a couple long roundtrips) over the course of 2-3 weeks and noticed the computer said I had 50% left on the oil (regular). Even if you never shut the car off and run continuous 8k miles on regular oil, is that wise?

Well no kidding, but Ndawg12, soon2bv and I were not discussing boat motors. My belief is that changing the boat oil every fifty hours is overkill. Every other vehicle out there has longer service intervals. But, I will change it every fifty hours or close to it, because its cheap, and I like working on it.

Edited by Bozboat

Do you know the oil change interval is 50 hours? 90 hours is way too long on a oil change with our motors and the high rpm's we run.

Hope this helps you understand better

Paul

Thanks for the all of the great advice guys. I appreciate all of the honest feedback found on these boards.

As for the 50 hour intervals, I always thought that was more of a *recommendation* by dealers, shops and the like (similar to the heavily advertised 3,000 mile *recommended* interval on a car), but that you could run a little longer if you had to.

However, after reading all these posts I will start moving towards a more regular maintenance schedule. That boat has taken good care of me and I should be repaying the favor. Thanks again for all of the very sound advice.