Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need advice on getting my son wake to wake

shawndoggy

Thanks everyone. Looks like that might have been the wrap to our season. Last weekend was a bust between other obligations and weather, and this weekend looks to be the same. We've got a wedding the next weekend and then it's mid-October. Not sure whether we've got another family trip in us.

Ah, come on you can't stop the season on that note.... get over to Bullards and get it done. :crazy:

The Mrs. and I are playing hookie on thursday with that very goal in mind. Asked if he wanted to skip school and come with and he's too worried about homework. What's wrong with kids these days?

The Mrs. and I are playing hookie on thursday with that very goal in mind. Asked if he wanted to skip school and come with and he's too worried about homework. What's wrong with kids these days?

Wow, well in that case give him props for choosing wisely, nothing wrong with that... :) Most would have said sure anything to get out of school. There is still time but you'll have to come over here to get warmer temps.

My wife's a teacher and I am sure if we get one more nice day I can get her to come down with a case of the lake flu. :crazy:

.... Asked if he wanted to skip school and come with and he's too worried about homework. What's wrong with kids these days?

I am sorry Shawn, but it sounds like a girlfirend or friends are in the mix. At least my experiance, when the boys hit middle school, the parents take a back seat for awhile.

Edited by Bozboat

Good kid! I think mine would say the same. But don't rule out the alterior motive like Boz said.

Reminds me of a story. Saturday morning, I was in the kitchen with the wife making breakfast. Our 3 and 2 year olds were watching cartoons. In comes the 3 year old. "Mommy, you're pretty" and gives her a hug. She literally started to cry. How sweet was that. "Um...can I have a cookie?" Momemt over. Classic.

Fortunately he's a pretty straight shooter (AFAIK, of course). He wants to be the best at everything, school included.

...maybe my real problem is that he doesn't have any friends who are better than him on the wakeboard!

One last note on your sons wake to wake, we have been going out with a semi-pro rider who has been coaching my son. My son was clearing the wake, but only at 55'. Immediately the "coach", which I will refer to him as, noted he is not edging the wake properly. He is using speed to clear it, his board was flat on the wake when he approached, you should be able to see a portion of the bottom his board when he hits the wake. He also noted immediately, remove the center fin on his board, its a crutch, and will develop bad habits. He also broke down wakeboarding, its pretty simple, its handle placement, hip movement and edging the wake.

He noted most beginners do not edge the wake properly, and do not stand tall when they are ramping the wake. They are more concerned about cutting out super hard and wide and generating speed.... edging will give you height which will translate into distance, but getting the "pop" is what its all about. The coach, was riding at 75' and could easily go wake to wake with a mear 5-10' of cutting out, it was almost like he was in slow motion, it was all edging.

If you ever get the opportunity to have an advanced rider on your boat would highly recommend it, they can immediately figure out what you are doing wrong and correct your issue. We are now both doing "edge" drills to get the core basics down. I was also inconsistent on my wake clearing, sometimes I would have no issues, other times I would case the wake (which sucks).... I was trying to use more speed, than edging.

• Like 2

This was Wednesday night and has been eating nearly all his free time practicing, so I think that's why he wanted a down day yesterday.

That's awesome. Seems like a great kid. I take back that shot about it being a girl behind the boat!

This was Wednesday night and has been eating nearly all his free time practicing, so I think that's why he wanted a down day yesterday.

Shawn,

Thanks for sharing. You have an amazing and talented son, and from your posts, it is evident that your dedication toward your role as his dad is commendable. Proud Pappa Award :rockon:

Edited by Bozboat

Shawn,

Thanks for sharing. You have an amazing and talented son, and from your posts, it is evident that your dedication toward your role as his dad is commendable. Proud Pappa Award :rockon:

:thumbup: Thanks man!

I can't wait till it starts really clicking for him on the wakeboard because he's gonna kill it. A still shot from the other night:

309210_2468592152032_1169185907_3015765_1510071477_n.jpg?dl=1

I was just on a lesson when I was down in CA last week and one of the things they told me was to push off with my back foot to help with pop and distance......helped me alot on a toe side trick, maybe it will help?

Sorry about the narrow video. It's shot with an iPhone because "somebody" forgot to charge the camera battery.

This is 20.6mph @ 65'.

If I may summarize the consensus is:

Bring the rope in a hair

Bigger cut

Stand tall

Anything else?

• 1 month later...

I've been having the exact same problem as him. I've tryed shortening in the rope, going faster, but I keep landing on top of the wake. I'll keep this advice in mind, I think I really need to stand tall.

i wouldnt do anything to the boat, rope, speed....hes flattening out before hitting the wake......edge all the way through it. may help to start furthur out but once he gets the cut down, he can easily clear that wake from 10 ft out.

progressive edge and cut all the way through...hes cutting plenty hard, just losing speed.

check out the first jump by jd webb on this old video (my favorite video). edge all the way through and stand tall on wake impact. there is no loss of speed

Edited by BG2085
  • 4 months later...

Not the cheapest way to solve the problem, but Connor and I spent the spring break week at the boarding school in Orlando. He's totally nailing the heelside wake to wake right now.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On September 19, 2011 at 7:37 AM, shawndoggy said:

Sorry about the narrow video. It's shot with an iPhone because "somebody" forgot to charge the camera battery.

This is 20.6mph @ 65'.

Bring the rope in a hair

Bigger cut

Stand tall

Anything else

On June 22, 2015 at 10:31 AM, shawndoggy said:

update...

Nice fashion air!

Edited by ConnollyCrew

Find calmer water.  All that boat traffic and chop really make it difficult to get a good cut.....(sarcasm) 

But seriously he looks very comfortable.  I'd pull the line in to 60'.  55' will make his pull out and edge that much more critical, as the wake is that much closer.  I think once he starts clearing the wake he can start trying to work on pop, and a more aggressive edge.  That confidence of knowing you are going to land softly will help him progress quickly.

On September 19, 2011 at 8:37 AM, shawndoggy said:

This is 20.6mph @ 65'.

Bring the rope in a hair

Bigger cut

Stand tall

Anything else?

Try 60 ft at 21 and like others said have him pull handle yo his lead hip and stand tall as he rides up the wake.  Congrats, he looks great!

2 hours ago, BlackBluMalibu said:

Try 60 ft at 21 and like others said have him pull handle yo his lead hip and stand tall as he rides up the wake.  Congrats, he looks great!

Lol, did you not see my post above yours? His son is throwing flips now, I think he's good on the wake to wake advice :rofl: