Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you run the engine on a 2011 Wakesetter VLX out of the water?

shenard

I just had a stereo installed and we area having horrific engine noise in the stereo ONLY when the engine in on in the lake. When engine is off it is fine. I am trying to find out if I have the boat on the trailer can it be started and run for two or three minutes at a time while the shop tries to diagnose the source of the problem?

Should be sweet if they run water throug it mate ...

Ft

Where do you hook up the flush kit or water to the engine at? I did not get any kind of kit when I bought boat and assume I can buy this either at any dealer or somewhere like a West Marine? Sorry for Noobie question but this is first boat we have owned.

Easy answer, no, dont even run it for more than 10 seconds with no water. It's not that it will overheat. But it will destroy the impellar on the pump that sucks water out of the lake, THEN your engine WILL overheat.

There are several systems to hook a boat up to a water hose. Paul on here from Bakes marine or Skidim.com can hook you up.

Steve B.

and yes, sounds like you have a ground issue, and maybe two grounds going. It's common, but usually easily fixable.

I just had a stereo installed and we area having horrific engine noise in the stereo ONLY when the engine in on in the lake. When engine is off it is fine. I am trying to find out if I have the boat on the trailer can it be started and run for two or three minutes at a time while the shop tries to diagnose the source of the problem?

Yes you can if you run a fake-a-lake supplying water to the raw water intake. Your shop should have one if they work on boats much.

Get a fake a lake. Any boat store should have one for $30 or so, and is a must have item for any boater.

Thanks everyone for all of the replies - this forum has been very helpful so far! Steve B., I hope you are correct and it is as simple as a bad ground. Frustrating to spend the kind of money I did for the aftermarket stereo only to sound like crap when the engine is on!

Get a fake a lake. Any boat store should have one for $30 or so, and is a must have item for any boater.

Some people have great luck with fake a lakes, great. I, however, have heard of multiple issues with fake a lakes. I think the best option is to install an inline perko fresh water supply. The issue with fake a lakes is sometimes you can have a priming issue, and by the time you realize no water flowing through engine, impeller is already burned and you've already paid for the perko. Not to mention you don't have to get underneath the boat. And not to mention you can then, in your free time this winter, add a connection to the stern as if it came from the factory.

Some people have great luck with fake a lakes, great. I, however, have heard of multiple issues with fake a lakes. I think the best option is to install an inline perko fresh water supply. The issue with fake a lakes is sometimes you can have a priming issue, and by the time you realize no water flowing through engine, impeller is already burned and you've already paid for the perko. Not to mention you don't have to get underneath the boat. And not to mention you can then, in your free time this winter, add a connection to the stern as if it came from the factory.

That is what I had on my Centurion (Perko inline water supply). I used to use the fake-a-lake but I got freakin tired of having to crawl underneath the boat and trailer everytime just to hook it up and then unhook it. Then I installed the perko one and I was good to go. I always ran my boat for a bit before going to the lake JUST IN CASE...haha They are more expensive but well worth the investment. If you can afford a 2011 Malibu you should have no problem with a $90 part...lol

Edited by Armyguy

That is what I had on my Centurion (Perko inline water supply). I used to use the fake-a-lake but I got freakin tired of having to crawl underneath the boat and trailer everytime just to hook it up and then unhook it. Then I installed the perko one and I was good to go. I always ran my boat for a bit before going to the lake JUST IN CASE...haha They are more expensive but well worth the investment. If you can afford a 2011 Malibu you should have no problem with a $90 part...lol

Is this what you are referring to? I assume this would work on the Malibu?

http://www.yachtsupplydepot.com/mechanical-supplies/perko-inline-valve-5/8-0456dp4/prod_64642.html

Thanks everyone for all of the replies - this forum has been very helpful so far! Steve B., I hope you are correct and it is as simple as a bad ground. Frustrating to spend the kind of money I did for the aftermarket stereo only to sound like crap when the engine is on!

For your troubleshooting all you need is a fake-a-lake. In fact if the stereo shop says they work on boats much (if they are worth a damn) they will already have one at the shop they should have hooked up and checked for noise before they gave your boat back to you.

For your troubleshooting all you need is a fake-a-lake. In fact if the stereo shop says they work on boats much (if they are worth a damn) they will already have one at the shop they should have hooked up and checked for noise before they gave your boat back to you.