Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fixer up

Hey gang. Have the parts comming in this week from when i hit the rock and wrote off the prop rudder and wedge actuators. My questions are how does the rudder assembly go together and how do i pull the old one out?

Also how do the wire on the actuators wire into the hull. I havent taken a close look at it yet but i am just wondering how difficult it is do replace the rudder and actuators. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I have pulled props off before that wont be an issue and the shaft is fine, im not sure how but i can spin it freely no problem.

Thanks !

Kirk

G'day Mate,

I have just had mine apart, I broke a prop shaft and it went back and hit the rudder 2 weeks ago.

Assuming your USA one is the same as my Aussie one....

The rudder runs in a bronze box fixed into the boat with 4 bolts, you can see them from the bottom. The bronze box has two seals, a rubber O ring at the bottom and a nylon seal near the top.

It depends what you have broken as to what you have to do.

If its just the rudder undo the cross bolt from inside the boat which keeps the steering arm in place, then lift the steering arm off. From there gently tap the rudder from the top, the key will pop out and the rudder will drop out below the boat.

If you are replacing the entire rudder box you will need to complete the steps above and then undo the four bolts which retain the rudder box and remove it.

Tip for re assembly, stick your finger in the top of the rudder box and check the nylon seal is sitting in its groove before you re insert the rudder.

Cheers

Stewart

Thanks for the info!

Good to know that you dont have to replace all the rudder. Any idea on how long you think it will take to replace the rudder? Do you know anything about the power wedge actuators?

Thanks

Kirk

G'day Kirk,

If its as simple as drop the damaged rudder and replace it, I would think less than an hour.

Make sure your new rudder fits properly in your existing rudder box, it needs to be a nice fit with no slop. Make sure you grease the shaft prior to installing it, if you don't have to replace the rudder box be very careful with the top seal, I understand if you damage the rudder box has to be replaced.

I assume the shaft spins cause the boat is in neutral.

It is unlikely to be a problem for you, but after a hit like that it could be worth checking (at your next major service) your prop shaft alignment. (the reason I broke a prop shaft was that the alignment was out and the shaft fatigue failed).

I don't know a thing about power wedge actuators, but from a quick look on Bakes...

I assume you would buy two of these http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1636 then install them and calibrate them as per this http://www.bakesonline.com/images/MediaLibrary/PowerWedgeCalibrate.pdf

Cheers

Stewart

Cut the existing wires up high on the inside of the transom and label them port/starboard. Unscrew the compression fittings where the wires enter the transom and unscrew the other fitting that is screwed into the wedge mounting plate. Pull the wire out. Remove and replace actuators, pretty simple. You may want to put some marine silicone on the inside of the transom where the wires enter. And connect the wires with water proof connectors. The hardest part for us was simply getting the wire through the wedge mounting plate/transom and screwing the base fitting back in. Malibu didn't do a very good job lining the holes up :dontknow: Good luck it's really pretty simple, do one at a time so you always have a reference.

Not busting your chops, just curious. Assuming you have insurance, any reason you don't just let the dealer do it? They would replace everything without you having to worry about if it was done right and then check the prop shaft alignment and make sure no additional damage happened.

Thanks everyone for the pointers! As for the whole insurance thing, its kind of a tricky thing to do. The boat is on the same plan as the house insurance, it would have put all the payments up for the next 10 years or something crazy. The other reason of doing it myself is we live in a area where these types of boats are unheard of. I get "is that thing a transformer" all the time on the way around town. The closest dealer is 14 hours away, so there is no dealer maintenance going on at all, i do everything myself.

Thanks again!

Kirk

Hey guys Took a few more pictures tonight. The rudder and actuators went really well, all works no problem only took a few hours. The rudder was a little tricky to get back in. The old one was bent enough to take out, the new one was too tall to fit in with the boat on the trailer. I had to jack the boat up off the trailer to slide the rudder up inside the hull.

The prop is being the biggest pain in the a** iv changed numerous before never with any isses. Its the only thing keeping me from putting it in the water. Anyone have any suggestions of how to pop the prop off?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67814489@N05/

Thanks

Kirk

Hey guys Took a few more pictures tonight. The rudder and actuators went really well, all works no problem only took a few hours. The rudder was a little tricky to get back in. The old one was bent enough to take out, the new one was too tall to fit in with the boat on the trailer. I had to jack the boat up off the trailer to slide the rudder up inside the hull.

The prop is being the biggest pain in the a** iv changed numerous before never with any isses. Its the only thing keeping me from putting it in the water. Anyone have any suggestions of how to pop the prop off?

http://www.flickr.co...s/67814489@N05/

Thanks

Kirk

Hit it with some PB Blaster and try again in the morning. Do you have a puller or how are you trying to do it?

Got the prop off no problem today. The key sheared itself in half.

Turns out i need a new shaft and strut as well.

Also i was looking at the power wedge today. It looks like it doesnt go up as far as it did before. Is this somthing to do with the actuators or would it be installation error?

Attcahed a few more pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67814489@N05/

Thanks

Kirk

Just Got in from working on the boat. I pulled the strut no problems. The drive shaft is a pain in the a** i have the coupler off, but i dont know what to do next, i have done some research but cant seem to find much on how to do it. Any advice from anyone?

Thanks again

Kirk