Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 Transmission Problem..Cluncking noise

Living the Dream

Ok so here goes I have a 2010 247 and the transmission makes a clunking noise when you but in in gear. It will only go up to 2000 RPM and is very intermittent but now will only go up to 13 to 17 MPH. The clunking noise starts. Feels like it hesitates. I thought I had bad gas. When I put the engine in Neutral and rev the engine up to 3k-4k RPM's it run smooth so I know its not bad gas. I checked the prop and its perfect so not that.

Anybody else ever have this problem??

Off to Dealer on Monday at least still under warranty..frustrated when you are on the lake.

Your thoughts and input are appreciated.

Motor is a LS3

Thanks

LTD

Would this cause the engine to go no faster than 14mph? Have you had this sympton? I would guess it would not allow the transmission to shift??

Not sure about reverse..weird thing is it doesn't do it all the time not till yesterday did I have the clunking sound. But rpms wont go over 2000 and speed is maybe 8 or 9 mph. Took it to the dealer and they said I had bad gas because no codes came up and gas pressure is good. Took it out last week and sputtered a bit then opened up. Yesterday back to 9mph and 2k rpms. Im going to take to a different dealer Monday. Not very impressed with the current dealer.

Try putting some heet into the gas with some plus unleaded

I already run Super premium and added 4 cans of sea foam (90 gallon tank) yesterday thinking it was bad gas but now I know its not bad gas but the transmission. There are no errors on the screen or computer codes. If I rev the motor in Neutral it easily goes above 3-4k RPM and sounds really good.

War ant ee is the greatest three words in the english language some times. If it is the trans and vdrive it was $4000+ fix on our boat. The rpm limiting sounds like more going on. Good luck. An end of season repair is still better than a mid august repair.

War ant ee is the greatest three words in the english language some times. If it is the trans and vdrive it was $4000+ fix on our boat. The rpm limiting sounds like more going on. Good luck. An end of season repair is still better than a mid august repair.

End of season say it aint so .......not so quick here in Cali we still have till the end of October. I have surfin to do this next weekend...hoping its a quick fix :whistle:

Thanks for the input :biggrin:

End of season say it aint so .......not so quick here in Cali we still have till the end of October. I have surfin to do this next weekend...hoping its a quick fix :whistle:

Thanks for the input :biggrin:

I am thinkin like a canadian... eh.....if it is hardware... tranny and vdrive took about 6 weeks for me due to shipping ( 3weeks) and the dealer didn't touch it until the winterizing rush was done. They did say they could overnight it if I wanted to pay the extra shipping... may be an option if you have to go down the hardware route.

Edited by G-Mack
  • 4 weeks later...

Update on the problem so far.

Did you know there are two Fuel Pumps... one in the gas tank. I had one dealer check the fuel pressure and it was fine but the new dealer I went to tested it as well.....but this time it tested fine till he turned off the key then it showed where the problem was it dropped like a rock. So new part is on the way. There was no error codes on the computer. I still think its the flex plate from the clunking noise when you put it in gear. The dealer can not put it under a load so I have to take it out and test it...to go to the next step if its not fixed.

Just thought I would share the process so far and maybe it will help someone else who might have this problem. :werule:

Had a problem with my '09 transmission this Summer. Two visits to the dealer and they could not duplicate it. Next time out after an hour or so, noise started again when you went from neutral into gear. Grabbed the trusty iPhone, put the camera on video mode and recorded the noise while looking into the transmission. Sent the video to the dealer who sent it on to Indmar....by the weekend I was enjoying a new transmission! Dealer told me that the Indmar engineers diagnosed a faulty plate from the video. Give it a try and good luck!

new tranny and Vdrive here also. Had an overheating problem in the tranny when running fast. Indmar pretty much just does complete drop in replacements (tranny &Vdrive together) vs having dealers get inside and try to fix. No issues, and the new set is much smoother, and quieter... also the "whine" i used to get in mid range RPMs is gone.