Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I want to try surfing - what do I need?

Nitrousbird

I have never tried wake surfing. I've only seen a couple boats do it locally and not that often (most everyone here is wakeboarding, kneeboarding, or slalom).

Right now I have 500# in each rear locker and 300# up front. This winter I plan on swapping to 750's in each locker, and may add a bag in the ski locker as well. My plan was also to take one of my 500# bags and put it on the surf side - I'm guessing this should give a decent surf wake filling the front and the surf side 750 with that. I will also be adding Perfect Pass over the winter.

What board/rope should I buy? I'm 6'3", 225lbs. I will be the primary user, but have a couple 180lb friends that will also likely use it. I don't want to blow a pile of cash on something I've never done, but I won't buy junk either.

Also, any good how-to guides on surfing out there? I'd like to study up on the off season so I can try first thing next season.

you'll have to play with the ballast to dial in your wake, seems to me that I can't get the same wake twice - but then again some of my ballast is the crew... Ronix makes some nice boards to start on and my entire family rides the same one. get a good surf rope as well I prefer the kind with the mini handle on the end and the knots - keep your eyes out and maybe you could pick up something used

I have a few similar questions I ordered a ronix surf rope from bakes, where do u attach that board what are some things to know before buying a board, how can I be sure it will fit

Talk to the guys at Towanza... they will set you up with all you need help you dial in your wake.....

You need lots of Weight I would say at least a 750 in the locker and 200 to 400 lb.'s on the seat depending on who you have in the boat.... speed is the next part and make sure your in 8 ft of water or deeper...

Edited by kaddman

Fill the 500 on the surf side. Take the other 500 out and fill it up on the surf side seat. Fill your 300 and give it a go. You'll be able to dial int he wake with more weight, but that will allow you to at least try it.

Anyone you can borrow a board from? That would be a good way to give it a go without throwing any cash at it.

you'll have to play with the ballast to dial in your wake, seems to me that I can't get the same wake twice - but then again some of my ballast is the crew... Ronix makes some nice boards to start on and my entire family rides the same one. get a good surf rope as well I prefer the kind with the mini handle on the end and the knots - keep your eyes out and maybe you could pick up something used

Im a big fan of Ronix wakeboards, but they have had lots of problems especially with the Koal. I'd recommend the Inland Surfer Blue Lake board.

I have the Ronix Cortez and it fits in my wake board rack. If you'd like I can measure the span on mine so you will have some info. If you go with more of a real surf board, ie: foam/glass, most of those are thicker and will not fit a wakeboard rack.

Fill the 500 on the surf side. Take the other 500 out and fill it up on the surf side seat. Fill your 300 and give it a go. You'll be able to dial int he wake with more weight, but that will allow you to at least try it.

Anyone you can borrow a board from? That would be a good way to give it a go without throwing any cash at it.

The bag upgrades are happening just from a wakeboarding standpoint (I'm not a fan of my 500# bags anyway and want Fly High 750's). A lot of wakeboarders around here, but very few surfers.

Any certain size of board I should look for? I want something for a beginner surfer I can upgrade from down the road. Any rope to recommend? I'll be buying a 2nd tower rack as I only have one that holds two boards (that is always full), so I can get a rack that's surf board friendly.

The bag upgrades are happening just from a wakeboarding standpoint (I'm not a fan of my 500# bags anyway and want Fly High 750's). A lot of wakeboarders around here, but very few surfers.

Any certain size of board I should look for? I want something for a beginner surfer I can upgrade from down the road. Any rope to recommend? I'll be buying a 2nd tower rack as I only have one that holds two boards (that is always full), so I can get a rack that's surf board friendly.

A Hyperlite Broadcast is a great beginner board that's cheap $2-250 and fits in a standard wakeboard rack. I'm seriously thinking about trading my XXX Slasher Pro 5.0 straight up for a Broadcast.

Towanza has the squirts on sale for 220. My buddy has one and i'd recomend it as I'm 6'4 200 and he's 6'2 275ish and we both like it.

I run a 1100 in my surf side with the stock mls midship bag full and depending on the crew a 400 in the bow with a 400 on the left side seat.

Lately I've thrown a 400 under the port side seat and filled it as best as I could and had two females up front and a buddy or two on the left side with my girl driving and I'm very happy with the wave.

If you have a wedge the 750 is great. I don't have one and because of garage clearence can't get one.

Im a big fan of Ronix wakeboards, but they have had lots of problems especially with the Koal. I'd recommend the Inland Surfer Blue Lake board.

I agree. My Koal separated after only a handful of uses. I liked it but it didn't last

• 3 weeks later...

I agree. My Koal separated after only a handful of uses. I liked it but it didn't last

Rather than start a new thread thought I'd post here:

My Koal is making a "clunking" noise right now. I'm assuming that isn't a good thing...is it about to fall apart?

Also, I/we just can't get the hang of the Koal. It's a nice board but damn, it's not easy to ride. Maybe I just need a bigger/longer wake, but with the speed of the board and it's buoyancy, we really struggle to get good rides out of it.

our other board is a (non 'glass) Hyperlite and 9/10 times, people prefer to ride it. It's much easier to ride.

I have never tried wake surfing. I've only seen a couple boats do it locally and not that often (most everyone here is wakeboarding, kneeboarding, or slalom).

Right now I have 500# in each rear locker and 300# up front. This winter I plan on swapping to 750's in each locker, and may add a bag in the ski locker as well. My plan was also to take one of my 500# bags and put it on the surf side - I'm guessing this should give a decent surf wake filling the front and the surf side 750 with that. I will also be adding Perfect Pass over the winter.

What board/rope should I buy? I'm 6'3", 225lbs. I will be the primary user, but have a couple 180lb friends that will also likely use it. I don't want to blow a pile of cash on something I've never done, but I won't buy junk either.

Also, any good how-to guides on surfing out there? I'd like to study up on the off season so I can try first thing next season.

I have the same boat (different motor) and if you have a wedge I think the 750 may be a bit much, not even sure if it will fill all the way? We have the wedge, 540# in left rear, 300# under the rear left seat, 350# under the observers seat, 350# ski locker, and 350# under bow seats, we usually have someone sitting on the left rear corner of the sundeck to handle the rope and if there are two-three more people in the boat some one has to sit up front. If its just three of us we need to make sure that the front bags are completely full at all times and it is still hard to ride the wave without the rope person moving to the observers seat after dealing with the rope. We have found that we need the front weight, and if someone moves to the back to watch it messes up the wake, it looks big but is hard to ride. If it were me I think I would see about putting a bag under the observers seat before getting a bigger sac in the rear for surfing. We just have an older Obrien Alias I think it is and it works ok (I'm 225# also), but I would like to get something better. Hope this helps.

I have the same boat (different motor) and if you have a wedge I think the 750 may be a bit much, not even sure if it will fill all the way? We have the wedge, 540# in left rear, 300# under the rear left seat, 350# under the observers seat, 350# ski locker, and 350# under bow seats, we usually have someone sitting on the left rear corner of the sundeck to handle the rope and if there are two-three more people in the boat some one has to sit up front. If its just three of us we need to make sure that the front bags are completely full at all times and it is still hard to ride the wave without the rope person moving to the observers seat after dealing with the rope. We have found that we need the front weight, and if someone moves to the back to watch it messes up the wake, it looks big but is hard to ride. If it were me I think I would see about putting a bag under the observers seat before getting a bigger sac in the rear for surfing. We just have an older Obrien Alias I think it is and it works ok (I'm 225# also), but I would like to get something better. Hope this helps.

I think the 750's will fill close if not all the way. My 500's fill all the way with a noticable amount of room left in the locker. I'm purchasing those for wakeboarding, and all I want to replace my cheapie bags with Fly-High bags (I am also doing an auto-ballast setup this winter). I may buy a bow triangle if needed, which would be all the weight I could ever need up front if necessary.

I have a liquid force fish 5'6" surf. Brand new still sealed in box that I will sell for $240 shipped to your front door. It will most definitely be a good board for someone your size. PM me if you are interested. Thanks

I think the 750's will fill close if not all the way. My 500's fill all the way with a noticable amount of room left in the locker. I'm purchasing those for wakeboarding, and all I want to replace my cheapie bags with Fly-High bags (I am also doing an auto-ballast setup this winter). I may buy a bow triangle if needed, which would be all the weight I could ever need up front if necessary.

If you get the big triangle bow bag it will definitely be all you need for the front I would think! We have the under seat bow bag that fills to about 300-350 and the bow sits very low if there's anyone sitting up front when you come off plane. It would be interesting to see if you could even fill it all the ways without being to low, isn't that bag like 1000 lbs?

I have a liquid force fish 5'6" surf. Brand new still sealed in box that I will sell for $240 shipped to your front door. It will most definitely be a good board for someone your size. PM me if you are interested. Thanks

Your price seems a lot high: http://www.sunandski.com/Liquid_Force_Fish_Wakesurfer_11_p/0829059481110.htm?Click=282&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0829059481110

If you can beat that price by a bit I might be interested.

• 1 month later...

It depends on how tall you are for what kind of board you want. starting out, I would probably get a boat on the shorter end, so it is easier to control. what I do surfing is I line up so my toes are facing into the wake and not my heels while I'm riding and that seems to make it easire. also try loading all your weight onto on side of the boat and put a fair ammount of wait in the front ballast to make the wake longer and more forgiving. get a rope with a big handle and not a buch of chunky nots because those willl nail you in the head if you fall and are holding onto the rope.

Edited by aldawg1234