Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WAKE ON 2011 VLX DISSAPOINITNG..

malibu.c.c

I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS BUT THE WAKE ON THE 2011 IS SMALLER THEN THE 2008 VLX....

CAN WAIT FOR MY SAKS TO ARRIVE TO STICK 400 LBS IN EACH LOCKER...

ALSO RIDING A T 70 FEET AT 22 MILES ON THE 2011 GIVES LITTLE TIME TO SET UP FOR APPROACH ...2008 MORE TIME...

IS THE 2011 WIDER??? IS THE TOWER SET MORE BACK ON THE 2011 WITH THE G3 TOWER THEN THE ILLUSION TOWER ??

• Like 1

It is wider and has a longer transition.... so if you want it to be similar to 05-09 add more weight to rear should make it a bit more steep. The wider beam of (100in) allows for a longer transition. It may appear to be smaller in height, because it is wider overall.....so if your getting (2) 400 lb sacs that will make your wake much similar to an 05vlx.......disapointing is a strong word.

It is wider and has a longer transition.... so if you want it to be similar to 05-09 add more weight to rear should make it a bit more steep. The wider beam of (100in) allows for a longer transition. It may appear to be smaller in height, because it is wider overall.....so if your getting (2) 400 lb sacs that will make your wake much similar to an 05vlx.......disapointing is a strong word.

i have 4 factory ballast and new vlx i if i all 2 x 400lbs fat saks in the back i will have the same wake as an 05 vlx... and you dont want me disapointed...

i had a 2008 moved to 2011 for bigger wakes better boat ..i cant beleive with 2 x400lbs saks weight will be the same as 05 vlx... cant wait to see this when i load saks..when they get here :)

What I'm saying is, you will achieve the same/similar shape. The extra width is what is making your wake look smaller. Have you had a chance to play with wedge/ dial the shape in.

Hey man, Why dont you first test the boat a few times before saying you are DISSAPOINTED.

That wake is the best wake out there. Just add two 750 on the lounge and 25 % wedge and post again.

Luciano

I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS BUT THE WAKE ON THE 2011 IS SMALLER THEN THE 2008 VLX....

ALSO RIDING A T 70 FEET AT 22 MILES ON THE 2011 GIVES LITTLE TIME TO SET UP FOR APPROACH ...2008 MORE TIME...

IS THE 2011 WIDER??? IS THE TOWER SET MORE BACK ON THE 2011 WITH THE G3 TOWER THEN THE ILLUSION TOWER ??

Are you using the wedge? do you have quad tank ballast? diamond hull or wakeboard hull? The VLX wake is one if the best stock wakes out there, are you sure all the center ballast tanks are filling up? You are one of the first I have ever heard that are disappointed in the VLX wake, for me, its the best part of the boat. Great transition and with the wedge you can jack up the wake to give you less transition and more of a ramp.

Are you using the wedge? do you have quad tank ballast? diamond hull or wakeboard hull? The VLX wake is one if the best stock wakes out there, are you sure all the center ballast tanks are filling up? You are one of the first I have ever heard that are disappointed in the VLX wake, for me, its the best part of the boat. Great transition and with the wedge you can jack up the wake to give you less transition and more of a ramp.

Also are you using the pre-sets malibu.c.c? We use the advanced wakeboard setting just bumped up to 23-24mph with more weight in the boat

guys i love the vlx wake !! my 2008 was amazing , just want it teh same or better.. guess it just needs more weight.

i have 3 factory and bow ballast , use pro setting but put wedge up .

need to paly with the wedge a bit.

no i dont have the diamond hull.

love malibu's :)

Hey man, Why dont you first test the boat a few times before saying you are DISSAPOINTED.

That wake is the best wake out there. Just add two 750 on the lounge and 25 % wedge and post again.

Luciano

on the lounge no in rear lockers?? you find ite better in the lounge area infront of rear seat ?? i would try that would be easier then filling them in the storage lockers

guys i love the vlx wake !! my 2008 was amazing , just want it teh same or better.. guess it just needs more weight.

i have 3 factory and bow ballast , use pro setting but put wedge up .

need to paly with the wedge a bit.

no i dont have the diamond hull.

love malibu's :)

No wedge..I think it is needed to get decent sized wake with enough lip. If you are using the factor preset setting of wakeboard advanced then it will put your wedge to 75%. Give that a try and report back..the wedge is there for a reason, use it!

Edited by old skool malibu
  • 1 year later...

Maybe you can help me >? I also have a 2011 VLX and want to surf. Any ideas on what sacs fit and how to set it up. very disappointing wake for surfing.....

My recommendations/experience:

Boarding:

Try riding 65' at 21.6mph, full ballast, wedge 2-3 clicks up from all the way down and see if it gives you a similar feel to what you're used to. I personally like the same setup at 70' & 22.6mph. At 75' & 23-24mph I feel the wake starts to flatten out a little with just stock ballast. Going above stock, We've had an additional 500lbs or so in each locker and 550lbs up front with 8 or so people in the boat and just got punted. Biggest wake I've ever hit by far.

Surfing:

Surf side full, center tank half full, front tank half full, wedge all the way down. Additional 1100lb rear locker sac surfside(filled to ~800lbs), 280lbs tube sac in bow on surfside. You pretty much have to add weight to get a "good" surf wave. I am sure others have their waves dialed better than we do but this works well for how much we surf.

your 08 was paddle wheel for mali-cruise, is your 2011 paddle wheel as well? if so, did you calibrate or check your speedo to gps? have you done that with your new one? Getting the same speed is important for comparison, then using the same rope length.

I LOVE the 08 vlx wake, then rode behind a 2010 vlx and did notice the stock wake was or seemed a lot smaller than the same set up on the 08. It required a lot more ballast to get the same size wake, but the shapes are almost identical. loved them both.

Boarding:

Try riding 65' at 21.6mph, full ballast, wedge 2-3 clicks up from all the way down and see if it gives you a similar feel to what you're used to. I personally like the same setup at 70' & 22.6mph. At 75' & 23-24mph I feel the wake starts to flatten out a little with just stock ballast. Going above stock, We've had an additional 500lbs or so in each locker and 550lbs up front with 8 or so people in the boat and just got punted. Biggest wake I've ever hit by far.

Whats the wake like at 21.6 like you described? I normally ride at 70ft, 23mph with full ballast and wedge around half way up and feel like i dont get a nice pop straight up. Ill have to wait until spring before i can ride again but we've been thinking of plumbing in 750 in both lockers.

^ The wake is a little bigger at 21.6 than it is at 23 and probably gives a tad more vertical pop. I've ridden the setup you're describing and haven't had issues with getting good pop. I have no idea of your skill level, maybe it's a technique thing.....or maybe we have different definitions of "nice pop"?

^ The wake is a little bigger at 21.6 than it is at 23 and probably gives a tad more vertical pop. I've ridden the setup you're describing and haven't had issues with getting good pop. I have no idea of your skill level, maybe it's a technique thing.....or maybe we have different definitions of "nice pop"?

Definitely going to try that out next year. I was always told to try and ride around 75 feet and 23 or so, so i never even tried the wake at slower speeds. Also for wakeboats ive only ever ridden behind ours, a Svfara and X-45 and the wake was terrible behind the MC, super rounded and no lip at all. Anyway I'd like a little more straight up pop. When I do a backroll i never feel like i would have the time to do one to blind or revert

• 4 weeks later...

My buddy has a vlx and the wake rocks. We do put a bit of weight in the front. I think around 500lbs. Wake is big and rampy. I did notice it will get soft at 21, but I like to ride 75 at 23mph.