Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 Malibu vlx computer problems

dmfreier

I would have the dealer replace every item that the Viper box communicates with, one at a time to eliminate each as a cause, it may be a fault with another item that is creating the problem, actuators, switches, engine management etc. If one of those items is faulty no amount of new wiring between them will fix the problem.

First let me state my condolences and express frustration that you aren't being handled better. This certainly sounds like an area malibu should be focusing more so on. I wouldn't even care if it was JUST YOU having this problem, it's still something malibu needs to handle appropriately to which I don't think you're being handled appropriately.

Let me secondly state that I'm not a mechanical wizard by any means nor an electronical one but I do tinker and the following advice so far is what seems accurate to me:

I think this is the most likely advice i've heard yet. I know they replaced the wires and connectors already but its possible you've got another sh*tty connector. Not only would I recommend trying to relocate the device and run it without vibration, but if the pins are far enough apart maybe you could put a slight amount of dielectric grease on each pin to help the connection stay true? Obviously if you squirt too much on all the pins and the grease touches 2 adjacent pins you're going to be in a short-out scenario but I think any way you can guarantee solid connections would be a great diagnostic step.

Troubleshooting aside I think there is something additional *you* need to do right now.

Icalled the dealer and asked for it a simple terms remember I am not a tech or nor do I claim to be one.he said the reason they think it is the box is because they had replaced 4 th box and it worked for a while, and then they unplugged the can bus system to eliminate all the accessories and it still did it and this is after replacing the complete wiring harness and doing voltage test he understood that the boxes Wich work kind of like on a "frequency " are not calibrated to the can bus system . That is is why the factory is getting medallion to build "special boxes " called service boxes . Does that sound about right?

I find a severe lack in your understanding as to why they keep putting new viper boxes in your boat. As others have stated if they've put 7 into your boat and there are still problems - logic tells me thats NOT the problem. You *need* to talk with the shop and understand why they feel that continuing to replace these is the correct move.

You also stated you have a hint that your boat is "special" and that they are designing viper boxes specifically for your boat. There needs to be more understanding on your part as to what this means. Your boat isn't special. What's the real story here? Is medallion themselves sending you DIAGNOSTIC viper boxes that will gather data in which you send back to *MEDALLION* who is going to tell you what the problem is? If this is the case, what is the current status on medallion's findings?

If this ISNT the case and they're blinding replacing viper boxes, to me this tells me they're choosing to "ice" you until your warranty runs out which is unacceptable. These are all things *you* need to get with your dealer and fully understand why they're doing what they're doing. You need to evaluate how you think they're doing and cross reference that with the fact that your warranty is running out and you don't have a boat right now.

As you stated, your warranty is running out. You need to express your concerns around your warranty running out and figure out how you're going to be handled. I understand difficult situations occur and one offs may occur as well, but you need to be re-assured that your boat is going to be fixed even if it takes a while. Furthermore what about a boat in the meantime? I'm a serious rider. I ride 3 times a week and I'm going to be FURIOUS if there is an "unfixable" problem that's taking a month to fix. A month out of my season is huge. That dealer needs to get you hooked up with a loaner boat. An entire season without a boat is 100% UNACCEPTABLE - especially when you have a boat as young as yours.

Get your head right about WHY they're doing what they're doing and report back please.

I called the dealer and asked for it a simple terms remember I am not a tech or nor do I claim to be one.he said the reason they think it is the box is because they had replaced 4 th box and it worked for a while, But then it quit.So then they unplugged the can bus system to eliminate all the accessories and it still did it and this is after replacing the complete wiring harness and doing voltage test .I understand that the boxes Wich work kind of like on a "frequency " are not calibrated to the can bus system . That is is why the factory is getting medallion to build "special boxes " called service boxes . Does that sound about right?

And by the way I am totally upset like I say most people can't imagine what it would be like to take a summer vacation for two months and have no boat ,the stress it caused between me and my wife. the extremly short temper with the kids,all for what ,I look back at last summer and am sickened. Hating every moment because I didn't have a boat I paid for .like I said you think the factory would be bending over backwards to help me? What they offered is embarrassing!.and as for the boat there is no way in hell I will own that next year!but it still has to be fixed to trade it in.

Edited by dmfreier

I called the dealer and asked for it a simple terms remember I am not a tech or nor do I claim to be one.he said the reason they think it is the box is because they had replaced 4 th box and it worked for a while, and then they unplugged the can bus system to eliminate all the accessories and it still did it and this is after replacing the complete wiring harness and doing voltage test he understood that the boxes Wich work kind of like on a "frequency " are not calibrated to the can bus system . That is is why the factory is getting medallion to build "special boxes " called service boxes . Does that sound about right?

And by the way I am totally upset like I say most people can't imagine what it would be like to take a summer vacation for two months and have no boat ,the stress it caused between me and my wife. the extremly short temper with the kids,all for what ,I look back at last summer and am sickened. Hating every moment because I didn't have a boat I paid for .like I said you think the factory would be bending over backwards to help me? What they offered is embarrassing!.and as for the boat there is no way in hell I will own that next year!but it still has to be fixed to trade it in.

Just a thought but has the dealer tried one or any of your defective boxes in a diferent boat to see what it does? also how are the boxes being handled are they sensitive to any static electricity?

I called the dealer and asked for it a simple terms remember I am not a tech or nor do I claim to be one.he said the reason they think it is the box is because they had replaced 4 th box and it worked for a while, But then it quit.So then they unplugged the can bus system to eliminate all the accessories and it still did it and this is after replacing the complete wiring harness and doing voltage test .I understand that the boxes Wich work kind of like on a "frequency " are not calibrated to the can bus system . That is is why the factory is getting medallion to build "special boxes " called service boxes . Does that sound about right?

Just curious how long is "a while" 2 weeks? 2 days? a couple hours?

As for what you're saying regarding frequencies it seems odd to me. I just read up on canbus a little bit and it sounds a lot like networking protocols we have in the computer world. Basically either a high or low voltage is sent across a wire to simulate a 0 or 1. Once you can represent binary you can do pretty much anything. As far as CANBUS is concerned, frequency shouldn't factor into it, it should simply be high and low voltages being interpreted by the computer as 0's and 1's.

The viper box however I know nothing about. I'm not sure how it might send and receive different frequencies internally. I know nothing about the device. So at this point I'm kind of helpless, but maybe someone else can chime in. It sounds like they unhooked all the accessories which are connected via canbus (right?) from the viper box and it still had problems.

I was thinking the viper box needed to have all the accessories connected via canbus to read them? I was assuming the viper box was the little computer that read and processed all the canbus data being sent.

At any rate if the 4th box didn't work for at least 2 weeks it sounds like the viper box is not the problem and it seems odd that they keep thinking that's the issue. Would be great to hear more about why they are convinced the box is the problem, but if you already plan on getting another boat and just want to get rid of this one I understand not following up with the shop very often. To you you don't really care as long as it gets fixed "some day" so you can get rid of it and move on.

Sidenote: I understand others are having this issue, I'm addressing you directly because you have the most reproducible problem and it seems to be the most prevalent.

I was using the word "frequency " wrong.so would it be safe to say they think the binary code is conflicting?and I do care if the boat gets fixed because I have to trade it in on a new one and the longer it sits the more it depreciates.and the 4 th box worked for about 8 to ten days. Thanks for the clarification on the canbus system.

Edited by dmfreier

I am a networking guy so thinking of the canbus as a network is up my alley. Perhaps a wire is kinked or nicked and it is causing interference in the lines. I am sure they would have checked for that already. Just throwing ideas out.

Once again, I am sorry for calling you a troll. You seem to have calmed down and bit and you are now more talkative about the issue and what has been done to try and fix the issue. Thanks for answering all of our questions. Malibu needs to step up and replace that boat - it is full of gremlins.

gremlin.jpg

Edited by bamabonners

That is what I was trying to say about canbus I was using the word "frequency " wrong.so would it be safe to say they think the binary code is conflicting?and I do care if the boat gets fixed because I have to trade it in on a new one and the longer it sits the more it depreciates.and the 4 th box worked for about 8 to ten days. Thanks for the clarification on the canbus system.

I’m not trying to bash Malibu here since we don’t know what they have tried in order to help you, but why hasn't Malibu taken the boat back to the factory and fixed it there instead of trial and error by your dealer? They could bring it in and send it back down the production line replacing all the harnesses and components that the viper box communicates with under a controlled production environment. I’m sure they have several checks along the way to ensure all connections are made correctly and all systems function properly.

What state are you in? At this point just I would just pursue your state lemon laws instead of replacing more viper boxes. You should not have to put this much of your own personal time and money into fixing your own boat that is under warranty. You should also not suffer the huge financial loss by trying to sell a broken boat that Malibu could not fix while under warranty.

Did your dealer sell the boat new?

If chasing electrical gremlins, then I'd want to know if the boat has been sunk. If it has, then I'd look into whether there was any obligation to disclose that to you.

We strongly suggested the factory take the boat back.the response was this is a dealer level problem and there is no reason to bring it back to the factory. I live in Alberta , but the boat stays in kelowna at our lake lot. Thanks

We strongly suggested the factory take the boat back.the response was this is a dealer level problem and there is no reason to bring it back to the factory. I live in Alberta , but the boat stays in kelowna at our lake lot. Thanks

I'd lawyer up

I am tday is the final counter offer.I doubt it will be acceptable but I will let you know.I just don't understand why they won't take responsibility. I own a Pipline welding company and if I took 7or 8 tries at fixing something I would be run off.but that is not the way I do business. Does any one no anybody at the factory, they need to know I am a real person and not a number on a piece of paper

I wouldn't lawyer up until everything has been exhausted. I don't know about your field of work, but in my field sometimes the lawyers are the only ones making money. I don't know these guys, but to me this is damage control for some of the peeps fleeing BU. Let's see who they strengthened in the customer service department:

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/latestinwake/malibu-boats-strengthens-the-team.html

Just got off the phone with Malibu . Things are going in a better direction. The boat is still not fixed but they believe they know what the problem is and it sounds simple. I have asked them to send me an email of there findings. They should update me later this week . It will be no hearsay just a technical explanation of our issue. I am looking forward to it . I will keep you posted. Thank you everyone

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

My 2009 Malibu 23' Wakesetter LSV has about 600 hours on it. Had issues with Maliview strobing and blue screen a few years ago. Malibu wouldn't cover the ECM module they said I should buy - $350 - it didn't make a difference. Then I found out there was a free software patch available from dealer which fixed the issue mostly.  

Welcome to late summer 2016 - blue screen happening again and I've lost the buttons on right side of dash intermittently.  Dealer thought bad batteries or connection - bought new batteries and no go.

So now I have no ability to use cruise control or Maliview settings for ski, board, surf. 

Amazing how this is such an intermittent issue over many years and boat owners, with no consistent solution or help from Malibu. 

Any ideas on how to fix this ?

Malibu creed = Premium pricing and economy service at best 

• 5 months later...

I have a 2009 VLX with the same issue and planning on buying a new viper box. I've tried updating the old one but it will not accept updates.  WHAT is the FIX?

• 1 year later...

Update from my September 2011 post. At that time I had not received the new viper box from dealer. We finally received it at which time the warranty ran out. I installed the viper box myself as I was not going to drive the boat 5 hours round trip to have some mechanic install it as it is so simple. Everything seemed to work ok except for a couple of things. (1) only had 6 presets not the 8 the original one had (2) the power wedge was showing deployed when it was in stowed position. That was a problem as for when going over 25mph, the alarm would sound. We where only using the wedge for surfing so we kept the wedge disabled until it was time to surf at which point we would enable it and have to fiscally look and listen for its position. I had address these problems with the dealer as soon as they started. Their response was the wedge sensor was bad. I disagreed as it was fine before I changed the viper box. They said if I wanted a new viper box it would cost me $600+ as the warranty was up. Well, we managed with it til last September, the maliview went out again with roughly 860 hours +,-. So we ordered a new box from a different dealer. Received it quickly and installed it. Wouldn't you know wedge worked perfectly again along with everything else. Shortly after, one of the actuators on wedge broke so I replaced both of them, and celebrated as soon as I splash her. Everything was working great for about 10 hours or so, then dam maliview frozen again. Turned off boat, kill battery, restart, works fine again for about 10 minutes or so. Can't help but wonder if it had something to do with the wedge. Boat has 915 hours now. Ordering another viper box tomorrow. 😠

14 minutes ago, bubu said:

Update from my September 2011 post. At that time I had not received the new viper box from dealer. We finally received it at which time the warranty ran out. I installed the viper box myself as I was not going to drive the boat 5 hours round trip to have some mechanic install it as it is so simple. Everything seemed to work ok except for a couple of things. (1) only had 6 presets not the 8 the original one had (2) the power wedge was showing deployed when it was in stowed position. That was a problem as for when going over 25mph, the alarm would sound. We where only using the wedge for surfing so we kept the wedge disabled until it was time to surf at which point we would enable it and have to fiscally look and listen for its position. I had address these problems with the dealer as soon as they started. Their response was the wedge sensor was bad. I disagreed as it was fine before I changed the viper box. They said if I wanted a new viper box it would cost me $600+ as the warranty was up. Well, we managed with it til last September, the maliview went out again with roughly 860 hours +,-. So we ordered a new box from a different dealer. Received it quickly and installed it. Wouldn't you know wedge worked perfectly again along with everything else. Shortly after, one of the actuators on wedge broke so I replaced both of them, and celebrated as soon as I splash her. Everything was working great for about 10 hours or so, then dam maliview frozen again. Turned off boat, kill battery, restart, works fine again for about 10 minutes or so. Can't help but wonder if it had something to do with the wedge. Boat has 915 hours now. Ordering another viper box tomorrow. 😠

7 year follow up.  This may be a record

Our '09 VLX's maliview screen went black over the weekend. If I turned the boat off and on it would start to work again. Did this Saturday evening all night. Took the boat out Sunday and never had the issue happen again..... Anyone else have this issue?