Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 Malibu vlx computer problems

dmfreier

Is anyone else out there having problems with there 09 vlx or any other models with the same year? My gauges started going dead and my mailiview was rebooting .my boat was in the shop all summer except for about 10 days.it's disgusting 10 days use out of 70 .what a way to wreck a summer for my family.my first year owning the boat .they put approx 4 viper modules in ,the second year 2 more and this summer 7 more and the boat still doesn't work.they have custom built the last two and still the gauges are going dead.it's depressing,so I ask again is anyone else having the same problem there is no way I am the only one!!!

I had the same problem this july. I Was away on vacation in NH when the computer started to just blink off for a second, reboot and come right back on. Called Malibu tech in cal. And they had us check connection on viper box. When that didn't work we took it to the closest dealer to have them say the computer is bad. They order a new one and I took just the computer to the dealer to exchange only to find out they got the wrong one so I reinstalled the old on and it has worked fine ever sense. There is a lot more to the story but trying to keep it short.

#18   dmfreier Posted Today, 10:24 AM

Ballast Buddy

Boat:09 vlx

You guys have no idea what you are in for .My boat went down approx June 2 and 7 viper modules later and it is still not fixed . I have been battling this problem since I bought the boat 3 years ago.it's not fair that we spend all this money and in the end our families suffer ..this is a huge problem .remember next year the warranty is up on the electronics , so if you have no claim i cant imagine they will take responsibility for it next year.when you are making your complaint on this thread please include how many hours are on the boat , year , make and model.please contact me directly at [email protected]. I would like to get a list going of all the people with problems !please don't dismiss this issue just because it happened once and went away there is way more to it than that. Thanks

Does the lemon law include boats? Might be something to look into.

Depends on state but generally no. There are other avenues (Magnuson-Moss, for example) but pursuing such claims are expensive and time consuming. I would hope that his dealer would come to bat. How long is the factory warranty on an 09?

Edited by Tacostik

Does the lemon law include boats? Might be something to look into.

I could go into detail about how much trouble this boat has been but no one would believe me.it really upsets me to know how many other people are having the same issue.malibu said I was the only one.there is no accountability any more !I did my part , I gave them a cheque for a working boat with maybe the odd hiccup .in return I got a boat that was in the shop all summer and nothing but breakdowns the previous years.you think they would be bending over backwards to earn my business ?

Edited by dmfreier

Depends on state but generally no. There are other avenues (Magnuson-Moss, for example) but pursuing such claims are expensive and time consuming. I would hope that his dealer would come to bat. How long is the factory warranty on an 09?

Warranty is 3 years .I would like to thank everyone who emailed me.

Here is a link to youtube for a reference to my problem.please keep in mind this is the 6th box that was put in from the beginning of June until approx the 20 of aug 2010.if any concerns why the box is not screwed into position ,I forgot my phone could take videos and I was in the process of changing the new viper service box to the #5th 08 retrofit box.

Link

AS of tonight I have 37 personal replies of the same problem occurring that is less than 24hours after posting on this forum

Does any one else have videos of the gauges rebooting or going dead?

Thanks

Edited by dmfreier

Here is a link to youtube for a reference to my problem.please keep in mind this is the 6th box that was put in from the beginning of June until approx the 20 of aug 2010.if any concerns why the box is not screwed into position ,I forgot my phone could take videos and I was in the process of changing the new viper service box to the #5th 08 retrofit box.

Link

AS of tonight I have 37 personal replies of the same problem occurring that is less than 24hours after posting on this forum

Does any one else have videos of the gauges rebooting or going dead?

Thanks

Their was someone pretty recently that also posted a youtube video but i cant seem to find it

Their was someone pretty recently that also posted a youtube video but i cant seem to find it

Check on skyski's link on this page there is another video on that post it's like dejavue! Thanks

Edited by dmfreier

Is the problem only on 2009 model years?

No I have gotten e mails from people with 2010s too.it looks to me so far that it has been effecting boats with over 80 hrs and is occurring more in boats with more hours.mine has 340 hrs I am not a tech and I don't know what the link to these problems are but I am sure that this problem is known by Malibu and they are trying to keep it as quiet as they can .mine was the first one at my dealer and as of today another 09 malibu came in with the same issue .it is crazy to think that these viper modules will work for all different lenghts of time and then just act up.like I say my boat is completely rewired and it still doesn't work.if you really look at it it is not that complicated of a system but obviously with all these posts we are all having the same issues.I am expecting a Malibu rep to jump on this post and say they've gotten it under control and it is blown way out of proportion.I would really like everyone to consider #1 is it more than just me having these problems? #2why would they need to build new boxes called service boxes?#3 if this is happening to us can it happen to you and when?I couldn't imagine the bill I would have after 2 1/2 months of diagnosing !!! After this winter no 09 viper modules or electronics will be covered unless you have a claim within the first 3years . So maybe that is what they are hoping?

No I have gotten e mails from people with 2010s too.it looks to me so far that it has been effecting boats with over 80 hrs and is occurring more in boats with more hours.mine has 340 hrs I am not a tech and I don't know what the link to these problems are but I am sure that this problem is known by Malibu and they are trying to keep it as quiet as they can .mine was the first one at my dealer and as of today another 09 malibu came in with the same issue .it is crazy to think that these viper modules will work for all different lenghts of time and then just act up.like I say my boat is completely rewired and it still doesn't work.if you really look at it it is not that complicated of a system but obviously with all these posts we are all having the same issues.I am expecting a Malibu rep to jump on this post and say they've gotten it under control and it is blown way out of proportion.I would really like everyone to consider #1 is it more than just me having these problems? #2why would they need to build new boxes called service boxes?#3 if this is happening to us can it happen to you and when?I couldn't imagine the bill I would have after 2 1/2 months of diagnosing !!! After this winter no 09 viper modules or electronics will be covered unless you have a claim within the first 3years . So maybe that is what they are hoping?

Mine has been perfect so far with 135 hours... Knock on wood nothing happens

That is good to here!but what happens if something goes wrong next year ? I wonder if Malibu will cover it even though it is off warranty?It is obvious that something is wrong with the electronics because they wouldn't be trying to redesign the viper module with the new viper service box .

A buddy of mine recently had his Ducati replaced under the Ohio lemon law. It took a little time to get resolved, but it was not that difficult or expensive. The law is pretty cut and dry. And the lemon laws in Ohio (and Kentucky and Indiana) do cover boats.

how many of these posts did you do? I hate that you have had the problems and I am sure you are frustrated, but now I think you are just trying to grind some axe against malibu. Now you decide to take it you nautique site as well.

http://www.planetnau...ead-of-a-Malibu

Yes I am , I am extremely upset!!I am dealing on a new nautique right now. I was a huge malibu fan that us why I bought the boat . This is my fourth new boat. And this one has left me broke down for half of the first summer , half of the second and all of this year. So I am not sure how you would expect me to react?do you have some positive input because I will listen?

how many of these posts did you do? I hate that you have had the problems and I am sure you are frustrated, but now I think you are just trying to grind some axe against malibu. Now you decide to take it you nautique site as well.

http://www.planetnau...ead-of-a-Malibu

If what he says about support from Malibu corporate is accurate then I can understand his frustration. I for one am glad that he took the time to share his story, it sure makes me think twice about buying a used 2009+ Malibu that will soon be out of warranty. It doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling about buying a brand new one that is under warranty either.

I don't think he is just trying to drag Malibu's name through the mud. This is clearly not an isolated problem since he has found several other posts on this forum with the same issues. I had not seen those posts until he linked them together.