Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dual Heater Install

SmoothWaterMan

Peter, I'm thinking about doing this myself over the winter. how do you run the hoses, especially the Y pipe? Do you use two Y pipes? Mine's a vdrive.... are there any safety concerns with putting the heater core and blower under the rear seat middle seat (my boat has a silly amount of room there)? The blower is ignition protected, right?

No issues with mounting the blower where-ever, as far as I've ever found. Multiple heaters are in series, so the water still makes just one loop, but passes through two heaters. While one might conjecture that heat is reduced by the second heater, it's not true. Both heaters will blow hot air very nicely. I've installed a second 3-outlet heater under the side seat in a 247 with all three outlets being snorkels coming out the seat base frame. Provided heat for everyone in the cockpit.

Peter

No issues with mounting the blower where-ever, as far as I've ever found. Multiple heaters are in series, so the water still makes just one loop, but passes through two heaters. While one might conjecture that heat is reduced by the second heater, it's not true. Both heaters will blow hot air very nicely. I've installed a second 3-outlet heater under the side seat in a 247 with all three outlets being snorkels coming out the seat base frame. Provided heat for everyone in the cockpit.

Peter

Having a second heater is wonderful, and Peter's correct that both cores are plenty hot. Sure beats trying to pull the factory snorkel from the driver's side of the walk-thru over to your spotters who fight over who gets it. Is it wired into the same dashboard switch as the first? Did they manage to integrate the heater switch into the touch panel for 2012, or is it still a separate toggle switch mounted by the throttle?

A second cup holder should be standard, not a dealer add. You need one for your coffee (or beverage of choice) and the other for your stuff (cell phone, sunglasses, etc.). The storage hole behind the cup holders is not good for smaller items because the inside is not closed off. Stuff travels fore and aft and you need an extra joint in your forearm reach in and to find it. Maybe they can close that off while they are at it?

Someday Malibu will realize that it's the little things that matter, but let's not get started down that road!

I envy the lucky dog who winds up with that boat! :whistle:

I used two switches on this one for independent control, as Malibu still does not have enough outputs (in the one box in a TXi) for a heater circuit.

I'm thinking we need a little tray insert for the storage area in that side panel, but the cup holder works pretty good for now.

Peter :)