Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying first wakesetter... 23 lsv or vlx??

RLPBL

Hey guys, first time with buying a Vdrive and very excited about it. I am trying to decide between the 23 lsv and the VLX.. Likely be an 07 or 08 model. I do 60% of my riding on a larger lake that can sometimes get choppy if the weather changes and about 40% of my riding at my place in northern Canada where the water is always calm but usually cold (my problem). Having said that, there are a few things I am taking into consideration...

1. Storage, my driveway in southern canada is not super large (standard 2 car garage width).. so the extra 3 feet savings could be of use..

2. Transportation, I will be towing with an F150 Fx4 so I doubt there will be any issues with either boat, but once a year I will be making a 1900km round trip to the northern house with the boat so if the 23 towes alot worse than the vlx, it could also be a point for the smaller boat.

3. I imagine the larger boat might be better for me with the rougher waters, and to be honest, I am leaning in that direction for this reason alone. Especially if there is not that much difference in the towing of both boats.

Any insight would be great..

thanks.

The hull & profile on the two boats are very similar so I don't think we've ever noticed that they handle much different in rough waters. I believe the LSV & trailer are close to 800 lbs heavier than the VLX & trailer. Plus more room to load gear, bigger gas tank, etc. I would think the LSV & trailer alone would be fine on the F150, but loaded up might push it's limits.

I think I'd base it on how big a crew you usually bring along, how big your driveway is, & the capacity of your boat slip &/or boat lift capacity.

And how much space you like inside a boat. I went with the LSV just because I came off of a 21' DD and couldnt stand the lack of space. I've heard others say this forum is swayed towards bigger boats and perhaps the LSV is more common on this forum. I say if you've got the driveway space and the coin, go big baby. I have no experience with that tow rig so i can't comment.

One thing I will say is that the LSV needs more weight to rock the big wakeboarding wake since it's a bigger boat. I don't think it's a deciding factor but if you do get the LSV get more ballast than you think you need, better to have too much than too little.

Any insight on comparison between the VTX and VLX... I'm just wondering because they are only 1 foot difference right?? and I imagine the cost is lower on the VTX and it likely tows better.... to what extent though I imagine is of small significance...

VTX isnt out of the question for me but I imagine I wanna be at least into a VLX..