Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The boat search is over

LS-One

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LS-One

• bretski75

• footnlongline

• BlknYlwT22

That's interesting. I had always thought that the 377 had a few different colored parts.

The first guy I spoke with at Merc asked that same question.

Edited by LS-One

After mibarefooter's last comment I went over to my boat storage and did some more checking because I did not have the engine serial number to give to Merc.

I think I have this motor.

Mercruiser's Black Scorpion

Propshaft Horsepower:315

Maximum Peak Torque:365 Ft. Lbs. @ 3,800 R.P.M

Compression Ratio:9.4:1

Fuel System:Mercruiser/Delco EFI

Full Throttle RPM:5,000

The one on the Black Scorpion emblem on the motor looks like a seven when you look at it sideways with motor hatch mostly blocking it.

Boy do I feel stupid.

Good eye mibarefooter.

In all seriousness Ls-One, no need to be disappointed with having JUST the Black Scorpion. Still a great engine.

[/q

No disappoitment here I did not make the 2 1/2 hour trip to see the boat thinking it had a 377. I was pretty convinced if it was clean I would snag it. When I was looking over the boat I lifted the motor hatch and thought I saw 375 HP down low on the rear of the motor I think my reponse to the seller was "wow you didn't say it a 377" I don't think he caught exactly what I said, all he said was "yeah I ordered because I used to barefoot".

The 1 in the 315 on the motor doesn't have the the little horizontal line at the bottom that 1's usually do.

Nope I'm happy either way.

Edited by LS-One

A local boater here imported a Sunsetter in around 1998-99 and it had a "Blue Scorpion", that was supposedly more powerful than the Black Scorpion, I thought it was only about 340hp.

I have Black Scorpion in my 1997 Response and couldn't be happier, runs up to better than 50mph indicated, with a 13 x 13 prop. Will ahve to check accuracy one day with GPS

Edited by Flamingturbo

When I was a kid, I had a friend whose family had a houseboat on the Fox River right off Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin. On the shore of the Fox River was the Mercury Marine Testing Facility. I can remember cruising by it on the Houseboat, there would always several outboards or inboard outboards mounted to the dock running wide open until they broke. That's where I first became aware of the power of the V-8.

That was my favorite part of family trips to Oshkosh..seeing those outboards!

Nice boat :) Unbelievably low hours on that puppy, give her some use!

Wow two wisconsinites on this thread. I actually grew up roughly around that area, but never got to see the testing area you spoke about. They would run the boats until they broke what now?

I need to clear this up. I was born and raised in Texas, but during my childhood, my family drifted north before my parents came to their senses and we returned. Sorry to LS One for this diversion from his OP.

LS-One, Nice boat, your going to be happy. I could get a little over 50MPH on GPS with the stock CVP stainless, but now I have a CNC and can run 47 all day. And not throw a blade.

Some more Black Scorpion information.

In the late 90's there was a version some people called the Blue Scorpion that was hand made by the Mercury Racing Division. Big $$$

I have also heard people call them Super Scorpions. I thought they did offer it in an inboard version, but I've only actually seen stern drive versions

I found this on the donzi site

"The 377 Blue Scorpion comes from Mercury Racing and is totally hand built,different crank, rods, pistons, lifters and rockers.

It is all balanced and blueprinted as well. Many were used in the APBA circuit in the bat boats..."

So, here are the versions as I see it.

Version 1: Black Scorpion (350 ci). Started at 315hp in the mid 90's, called for Premium, The barefooters all bought them. Current version runs regular gas, 330hp, available with cats.

Version 2: Mercury Racing (Blue) Scorpion 377

Version 3: MX 6.2 Black Scorpion, or Scorpion 377 (340 hp)

LS-One, Nice boat, your going to be happy. I could get a little over 50MPH on GPS with the stock CVP stainless, but now I have a CNC and can run 47 all day. And not throw a blade.

Some more Black Scorpion information.

In the late 90's there was a version some people called the Blue Scorpion that was hand made by the Mercury Racing Division. Big $$$

I have also heard people call them Super Scorpions. I thought they did offer it in an inboard version, but I've only actually seen stern drive versions

I found this on the donzi site

"The 377 Blue Scorpion comes from Mercury Racing and is totally hand built,different crank, rods, pistons, lifters and rockers.

It is all balanced and blueprinted as well. Many were used in the APBA circuit in the bat boats..."

So, here are the versions as I see it.

Version 1: Black Scorpion (350 ci). Started at 315hp in the mid 90's, called for Premium, The barefooters all bought them. Current version runs regular gas, 330hp, available with cats.

Version 2: Mercury Racing (Blue) Scorpion 377

Version 3: MX 6.2 Black Scorpion, or Scorpion 377 (340 hp)

I called Merc. back this AM with the serial number I have the 315 HP. version

750 trouble free hours on mine. All I do is.

Annually - oil and fuel filter

every 2 years - cap and rotor, plugs, impeller

Just changed the wires for the first time last year

Have I said how solid it runs? Knock on wood.

Long live the Echelon with the Scorpion.

750 trouble free hours on mine. All I do is.

Annually - oil and fuel filter

every 2 years - cap and rotor, plugs, impeller

Just changed the wires for the first time last year

Have I said how solid it runs? Knock on wood.

Long live the Echelon with the Scorpion.

If you could maybe pm me the oil filter number, fuel filter number, oil weight etc, etc, I would be eternally grateful. Heck it's my thread just post it up if you want.

Thanks in advance, no hurry he just had all the service done and a tuneup.

I need to make a six hour one way trip down to my elderly parents house this weekend and take care of some yard work. But next weekend it will be in the water.

Family first, its just a boat. :)

LS,

I didn't mean to burst your bubble. I had the MX 6.2L in my Sanger and it was a good motor. It did have a few small issue's. Which in that motor they did. It would stall and not start easy. You had to wait for the fuel pump to cycle before trying to start. Other than that it was a great motor.