Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The boat search is over

LS-One

Found my new to me boat.

1996 Sunsetter LX

300 hours

Skylon Tower with racks and speakers

Heater

Shower

Nice stereo

Zieman tandem trailer with swing tongue

And the icing on the cake, a Mercruiser 377 Black Scorpion.

Does anyone know the torque and horsepower on this motor for1996 I'm finding different ratings ?

Sorry about the low quality pics, it was late when I got back to town with it last night.

post-23-056774200 1316099119_thumb.jpgpost-23-016728600 1316099151_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LS-One

• bretski75

• footnlongline

• BlknYlwT22

Nice rig, some of those mid 90's boats had some really funky color schemes, this one is real nice, tandem trailer is nice too - but a tandem is par for the course in CA.

That's a pretty early version of the skyon tower huh?

And I gotta ask, after all the deals you were searching for how'd you do on this one?

When I was a kid, I had a friend whose family had a houseboat on the Fox River right off Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin. On the shore of the Fox River was the Mercury Marine Testing Facility. I can remember cruising by it on the Houseboat, there would always several outboards or inboard outboards mounted to the dock running wide open until they broke. That's where I first became aware of the power of the V-8.

WOW, Scorpions are rare in Malibu's, but I have never seen or even heard of one with the 377. Very nice.

I'm going to do some digging. But current Scorpion 350 is listed at 330hp, 377 is listed at 340hp, kind of shocking only a 10hp gain.

My 1997 Scorpion is listed at 315hp, but it pulls at least as strong as the 325 Monsoon in my friends response's.

I would think we will find yours rated around 325 - 330. But should pull stronger than that though.

Great boat, LS-One!! I agree with footnlongline.....it is indeed one of the greatest all around boats. We love ours.

Considering it only has 300 hours, I think you did pretty good on the price. It appears to be in great shape. FWIW, I paid $13k for a 1997 SSLX with 665 hrs in fantastic shape, but no Black Scorpion.

Congrats!!! :rockon:

Edited by inlandlaker

I looked into my magazine archives, and it says the Scorpion 377 made its debut in 1997??? Also lists it as a 350ci engine with 377HP. I also have never heard of or seen a Malibu with the Scorpion 377...very cool if that is ineed what is in there.

I looked into my magazine archives, and it says the Scorpion 377 made its debut in 1997??? Also lists it as a 350ci engine with 377HP. I also have never heard of or seen a Malibu with the Scorpion 377...very cool if that is ineed what is in there.

The CL add said it had a black scorpion so I expected the standard black scorpion. When I lifted the engine cover and was looking at the motor it says 377 down near bell housing.

OK I just got off the phone with Mercruiser who the put me in touch with the high performance division. It is indeed a rare engine built by their race division and introduced in 96 1/2.

365 horsepower 350 ft pounds of torque.