Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bought 11' 23LSV and regretting not getting a VLX?

Armyguy

So I sold my boat last season and am DYING without one =). I have had a few boats but my last one(best that I have had) was a 2001 Centurion Elite V. I had to sell it when I got laid off and have regretted that decision ever since. I am in a pretty good spot now and in the market for a new boat, probably right before next summer for sure. I went down and looked at the brand new Malibu's. I have pretty much narrowed it down the either the 23LSV or the VLX. I have a 2006 F250 Crew Cab turbo diesel so pulling the thing will not be a problem.

I have been lurking on these forums reading reviews on both of these boats. It seems like the VLX is preferred over the 23LSV, although many do like the 23LSV just so ya don't get me wrong here. I had no problem with the amount of seating room in my Centurion(21'6 boat). When I went to the dealer I first sat in the VLX. It felt like it had about as much room as my Centurion, maybe just a smidge more width wise and length wise. I really liked the interior and setup of the boat. I played around with the MaliVue for a bit and was pretty impressed. Then the sales guy(Owner) took me out to sit in a 23LSV. Let me tell you that I IMMEDIATELY noticed the difference in interior room. Everything else seemed the same to me as the VLX. The 23LSV in my opinion, seemed to have a more streamline look due to the length. I already have the color setup planned out. I love black boats and want it to match my truck. Funny thing is that this is the exact color scheme I had in mind and then I actually saw this boat with it and fell in love... ciewakeboarding.com/bonecrusher.html

I am guessing we can't post links so just add the www. before that link. That will give you the picture of what I want.

Now my question is for those of you who have either of these boats...Did you buy the 2010-2011 23LSV and wish you would have bought the VLX or vise versa?? If so can you please tell me why?

I am having a really hard time deciding between the two. Here is a little info about me and what I am looking to do with it.

1. I usually have between 5-6 people on the boat. There are times that I have had 10 on my Centurion but that is on rare occasions and it felt a little crowded.

2. I am into wakeboarding but started getting into wake surfing. I never was able to get the wake right on my Centurion even with bodies and fat sacks so the being able to SURF part is VERY important to me, especially with spending all of this money on a boat. I would prefer not to have to add tons of sacks. How do each of these boats do with just the stock ballast and power wedge? From what I have read the VLX puts out a much better STOCK surf wake.

The last thing I am curious about is price. What is everyone paying for their new 2011 loaded VLX and 23LSV's? I am just curious so I have a few prices to go off of when negotiating.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dan

Edited by Armyguy

I moved from a Centurion Elite-V to the LSV and couldn't be happier. I was looking for a bit more room than the Centurion though. It really gets down to if you want a bigger boat. Both are great with the size being the primary difference.

We got a VLX because my dad didnt think a 23 would be necessary for our lake which is a little smaller but we are very happy with the VLX. At times it probably would have been nice to have the 23 for the space but that was when we had two little kids, 5 adults and 3 teenagers on the boat and everyones stuff but we drop people off at the beach and go ride then come back and switch people on and off. I dont know how you store your boat but the VLX vs. 23 might be a concern there. Just food for thought. Overall very very happy with the VLX and this picture is our stock wave at 9.8 mph, port ballast full, center at half and front ballast full with my mom sitting on the port side in the corner and my dad driving with wedge all the way down

Edited by CL-Rides

I have 130 hours on my VLX this season, we have had as many as 13 people on the boat, and typically we ride with 5-8. With 13 people everyone had a seat but it was crowded, 8-10 is about perfect for the VLX to not feel like sardines. I chose the VLX because we primarily wakeboard, liked the body style a little better with the cut-outs, and it weighs 500 lbs less, so for towing it was a little easier on the Sequoia I use to tow it with. It also is garaged all the time, and it easily fits in the garage.

I did wakeboard behind a 2008 LSV, and both wakes seem to be similar.... both were really nice, I do love the VLX wake has great pop with a nice smooth transition. I do believe if you are looking to surf more, the LSV would be a better fit, with 750 lb bags I can get a good surf wake, but not as good as the LSV.

I dont think you can go wrong with either, if you are riding with a lot of people (8-10+) all the time the LSV would probably be a better fit.

We were actually looking at the 247 but ended up with the 23. Generally we are rolling with 6 to 8 people with two of those being kids. The extra room in the LSV has paid dividends already with the kids. We had a 21 foot Mastercraft before and the extra width and length of the LSV is well worth the money. All we really do is surf and the LSV is a winner in that department. We have yet to upgrade to 750's (Running our old 400's from the Mastercraft) and the wave has been great. It's 23 feet but it drives like a 20 footer. You can't go wrong with the LSV.

Just from how many people you're going to have out on a regular basis, I personally, would go with the LSV - but I really like my space. When I have 6 people out on my LSV I'm glad I don't have a shorter boat. Although I second guess myself when you say you don't want to add additional ballast. If you're into surfing this is pretty much a must have. If you absolutely refuse to add additional ballast I think the VLX is a better option for you because the LSV being bigger will naturally need more weight to press the bigger waves. That being said the surf wave would be better on the LSV if you were willing to put in some ballast.

Not sure what to tell you. Either way you're choosing between great boats, you can't go wrong.

As to your questions on price, I can't help - I've never bought new (yet anyway).

The beam is narrower on the VLX, which will make the wake narrower. If you have riders that like that the LSV might not be for you, other than that the LSV is great for the extra room if offers.

Local dealer has an LSV offered at $84k, VLX is $6-8K back of that.

The beam is narrower on the VLX, which will make the wake narrower. If you have riders that like that the LSV might not be for you, other than that the LSV is great for the extra room if offers.

Local dealer has an LSV offered at $84k, VLX is $6-8K back of that.

Is that OTD pricing or before taxes. My dealer said for a 23lsv I will be paying 78500 OTD. Didn't get a price on the VLX but he said about 4-5k cheaper. That is with the power wedge and pretty loaded. I want the tower camera, shower, and heater so I'm not sure how much that will add to the price but I'm sure not too much.

As for the people, I usually have 5-6 but once in a while will have up to 10 people. I dont mind putting weight but I also don't want to have all of my seating filled with ballast. If I could get something built in that would be a lot better. I also will be storing this bad boy in my garage so I need to make sure the 23lsv will fit. My garage has the double deep on one side of it.

I'm also curious to how the 23 manuverability is compared to the VLX? My centurion was not the best when it came to steering.

Edited by Armyguy

Is that OTD pricing or before taxes. My dealer said for a 23lsv I will be paying 78500 OTD. Didn't get a price on the VLX but he said about 4-5k cheaper. That is with the power wedge and pretty loaded. I want the tower camera, shower, and heater so I'm not sure how much that will add to the price but I'm sure not too much.

As for the people, I usually have 5-6 but once in a while will have up to 10 people. I dont mind putting weight but I also don't want to have all of my seating filled with ballast. If I could get something built in that would be a lot better. I also will be storing this bad boy in my garage so I need to make sure the 23lsv will fit. My garage has the double deep on one side of it.

I'm also curious to how the 23 manuverability is compared to the VLX? My centurion was not the best when it came to steering.

The best way you will find out is take both of them for a test ride. Then you'll know for yourself. Plus it will help you with making your decession between the 2

That is OTD as Oregon does not have sales tax. I had to pay it on my boat as I live across the river in Washington. We also have a short season here so the dealers don't budge much on pricing as they have told me they would go under if they don't make a certain margin on each boat they sell. The other thing I would suggest is to see if the dealer has a demo that you might be able to purchase at the end of the season. I saved a ton of $$$ and still got a full warranty for a boat with only 15 hours.

You should drive the LSV fully weighted and make sure it's something you think you will get used to. I have never drove a VLX weighted so it was a different experience the first time going back to pick up a rider. Not a bad thing, just takes a bit more planing to get there. Not sure how much ballast, if any your Centurion had but it does make a difference when weighted.

Have your dealer bring the boat by and try to park it in your garage. Mine would not fit and I have a double deep bay, but my driveway is sloped and the tower would not clear the top of the door. If your have a taller door on that bay you should be good, but for the money your about to spend they will bring it by if they want to sell you a boat.

After I ordered my VLX last year I started to think that maybe I should have went with the LSV, thinking that the extra space would be nice. I ended up sticking with the VLX and couldn't be happier with it. About 115 hours so far this year and have never felt like I really needed more space - even when we've had 8-10 people in the boat. Also fits a little better in my lift and I feel like the VLX looks a bit meaner on the water. VLX puts out a great WB wake and decent ski wake at 30+ speed (with the diamond hull). Bottom like is that you can't really go wrong with either boat, but I've loved the VLX and have no regrets.

After I ordered my VLX last year I started to think that maybe I should have went with the LSV, thinking that the extra space would be nice. I ended up sticking with the VLX and couldn't be happier with it. About 115 hours so far this year and have never felt like I really needed more space - even when we've had 8-10 people in the boat. Also fits a little better in my lift and I feel like the VLX looks a bit meaner on the water. VLX puts out a great WB wake and decent ski wake at 30+ speed (with the diamond hull). Bottom like is that you can't really go wrong with either boat, but I've loved the VLX and have no regrets.

How is your surf wake? Isn't the diamond hull more for skiing?

We went from a 2009 VLX to a 2011 LSV this year and we are very happy now.... The big issue from the start was the stock ballasts didn't give us the wake we thought we were going to get. Then we added fat sacs and all is well now. If you waterski, the wake is a bit bigger on the LSV to get over. If you go with the monsoon engine (350hp) in the VLX or LSV, the over the engine storage is a bonus, especially for wet items. If you go with the LSA (410hp) in the VLX or LSV, you loose that storage. We are still moving stuff around the cabin to get the right configuration. I find the LSV easier to handle than the VLX even though it is a foot and a half longer. The draft between these boats are not much different, so I think where the VLX can go, so can the LSV. I would say go with the LSV. As far as price, I am from Canada so our price might not help. (Canadian $ vs. American $). Hope this helps a bit. Northern

We went from a 2009 VLX to a 2011 LSV this year and we are very happy now.... The big issue from the start was the stock ballasts didn't give us the wake we thought we were going to get. Then we added fat sacs and all is well now. If you waterski, the wake is a bit bigger on the LSV to get over. If you go with the monsoon engine (350hp) in the VLX or LSV, the over the engine storage is a bonus, especially for wet items. If you go with the LSA (410hp) in the VLX or LSV, you loose that storage. We are still moving stuff around the cabin to get the right configuration. I find the LSV easier to handle than the VLX even though it is a foot and a half longer. The draft between these boats are not much different, so I think where the VLX can go, so can the LSV. I would say go with the LSV. As far as price, I am from Canada so our price might not help. (Canadian $ vs. American $). Hope this helps a bit. Northern

Thanks Northern,

When you talk about the "big issue from the start" are you referring to the LSV or the VLX? I don't water ski and am not buying a boat to cater to those who do. My boat will be for strictly wakeboarding and wakesurfing, probably more so for wakesurfing, or just hanging out at the lake for the day. Did you have to add any ballast besides stock to the VLX? How would you compare the wakes between the two (both surfing and wakeboarding wakes)?

I did notice that the one I looked at had the storage thing for life vests. The guy said that you throw the wet vests in there and keep rotating. He said they dry out pretty fast so you can keep rotating them out and not have to throw on a cold wet vest. I also notice that some boats have the little rubber walk strip down the middle of the sundeck but some don't. Does that also have to do with what engine you get in it?

Oh and now my buddy just offered me his 06 or 07 Wakecraft for 32k. My payments on a 15 year loan would only be about 250/mo =)

I don't know how I feel about Wakecraft though. 32k vs 78k+ for a new Wakesetter is a hard decision. I am just trying to work out a way to be able to buy a new Malibu EXACTLY the way I want it so that I will be happy with it, and still be able to buy a house that I want in the next year...decisions decisions

Edited by Armyguy

"The big issue" was on the LSV. We thought the bigger the boat the bigger the wake. Not necessarily. We needed to add the fat sacs. We never had fat sacs for the VLX. The wake on the LSV is larger and wider for wakeboarding. We had an excellent wakeboarder with us a couple of times this year. He was pleased about the wake. The wake was so wide, he couldn't clear over. He also wakeboarded with us when we had the VLX and really liked it. More challenge with the LSV. Not sure about the rubber strip. Just looked in brochure, but no mention. Maybe it is an option. Any more info, let me know. Good luck. Northern

I own a 2008 23LSV and just bought a 2011 247, It (the 2008) has a fantastic surf wake at about 10 MPH we have never needed any fat sacks, just the stock ballast tanks, and maybe the wedge depending on how many are in the boat. Usually no more than 6 though. I have rode behind a VLX on a wakeboard, and they seem to put out a better wake according to the really good riders, but I'm just average. I would think that if the wake is too wide, then you should just shorten the rope a little. As far as room, defiantely like the 23 better, but I like to have lots of room. any ways hope that helps. My 2008 is for sale too! LOL...

Thanks Northern,

When you talk about the "big issue from the start" are you referring to the LSV or the VLX? I don't water ski and am not buying a boat to cater to those who do. My boat will be for strictly wakeboarding and wakesurfing, probably more so for wakesurfing, or just hanging out at the lake for the day. Did you have to add any ballast besides stock to the VLX? How would you compare the wakes between the two (both surfing and wakeboarding wakes)?

I did notice that the one I looked at had the storage thing for life vests. The guy said that you throw the wet vests in there and keep rotating. He said they dry out pretty fast so you can keep rotating them out and not have to throw on a cold wet vest. I also notice that some boats have the little rubber walk strip down the middle of the sundeck but some don't. Does that also have to do with what engine you get in it?

Oh and now my buddy just offered me his 06 or 07 Wakecraft for 32k. My payments on a 15 year loan would only be about 250/mo =)

I don't know how I feel about Wakecraft though. 32k vs 78k+ for a new Wakesetter is a hard decision. I am just trying to work out a way to be able to buy a new Malibu EXACTLY the way I want it so that I will be happy with it, and still be able to buy a house that I want in the next year...decisions decisions

Have you been on his Wakecraft?

I have been on one a few times, and I would not buy it for $32K... I would have a hard time buying one at all.

Edited by pennery

That rubber strip is a rear walk over which was an option. I have that on our boat and really like it. It is not dependent on the engine as far as I know since it is at the same level as the rear hatches. I bought our LSV in December of 2010. Got a left over in stock 2010 boat that was a demo for the dealer with 9 hours on it. I figured that was just about enough time to fix any issues that might have been looming from the factory. There were a couple dealers with left over 2010's when I was shopping, both had great prices. With the demo boats I suspect many dealers are willing to move them at cost just to get them out of inventory as December 31 moves closer. Given it is alread almost October I would wait a couple months and then shop around a bit. I was looking for a left over 2010 and called four dealers that were within a reasonable distance that were advertising they had some in stock. I was amazed that 2 of the dealers did not call me back after me leaving two messages. In this economy I couldn't believe that. Love the LSV.

Same as one of the posters above, I had a 1999 Centurion Elite-V. That was a great boat for us just a bit small as the kids have got older. I can only hope the Malibu ends up as reliable as the Centurion was. After 125 hours we are off to a great start wit the Malibu though.

Take your time and you will find a good deal.

Kris

Have you been on his Wakecraft?

I have been on one a few times, and I would not buy it for $32K... I would have a hard time buying one at all.

Nope never been on it but have seen it in person and it is pretty clean. It also has most of the fancy stuff these new boats have. The only things I dont like about it(looks wise only since I have never ridden in it) are the tower and the fact that it seems a little small on the inside. My Centurion seemed like it had more space inside than the Wakecraft.

I am waiting right now to get a price on a 2011 23LSV that they have Demo'ed out right now to a wakeboarding company. It has 250 hours on it and should be coming back soon. I am not sure what kind of price I should pay for a 2011 with 250 hours on it already? Any ideas? I was hoping they would put me around the 60k mark + tax but I dont know if I am hoping for too much with expecting that kind of price.

That rubber strip is a rear walk over which was an option. I have that on our boat and really like it. It is not dependent on the engine as far as I know since it is at the same level as the rear hatches. I bought our LSV in December of 2010. Got a left over in stock 2010 boat that was a demo for the dealer with 9 hours on it. I figured that was just about enough time to fix any issues that might have been looming from the factory. There were a couple dealers with left over 2010's when I was shopping, both had great prices. With the demo boats I suspect many dealers are willing to move them at cost just to get them out of inventory as December 31 moves closer. Given it is alread almost October I would wait a couple months and then shop around a bit. I was looking for a left over 2010 and called four dealers that were within a reasonable distance that were advertising they had some in stock. I was amazed that 2 of the dealers did not call me back after me leaving two messages. In this economy I couldn't believe that. Love the LSV.

Same as one of the posters above, I had a 1999 Centurion Elite-V. That was a great boat for us just a bit small as the kids have got older. I can only hope the Malibu ends up as reliable as the Centurion was. After 125 hours we are off to a great start wit the Malibu though.

Take your time and you will find a good deal.

Kris

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you end up picking it up for? My only problem is that it is very hard to find an all black Malibu either used or a leftover. I would have to custom order it to get one. The demo they leased or whatever their deal is has 250 hours on it but is a 2011 23lsv and is all black. I found an 09 23lsv exactly what I wanted a while back on inboardsonly that I could have picked up for 50k but I wasnt ready at the time. I would have had to pick it up in Arkansas but it would have been worth it to me. I have been checking ever since with negative results.

Nope never been on it but have seen it in person and it is pretty clean. It also has most of the fancy stuff these new boats have. The only things I dont like about it(looks wise only since I have never ridden in it) are the tower and the fact that it seems a little small on the inside. My Centurion seemed like it had more space inside than the Wakecraft.

I am waiting right now to get a price on a 2011 23LSV that they have Demo'ed out right now to a wakeboarding company. It has 250 hours on it and should be coming back soon. I am not sure what kind of price I should pay for a 2011 with 250 hours on it already? Any ideas? I was hoping they would put me around the 60k mark + tax but I dont know if I am hoping for too much with expecting that kind of price.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on getting one for that price.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on getting one for that price.

Yeah I figure it this way, if a brand spanking new one pretty loaded was quoted at 71k plus tax, I don't think 10k in depreciation for q one year old boat with 250 hours on it already would seem too far off but who knows. I was even thinking about seeing what kind of deal they would work with me if I left the boat companies emblems on the boat. Guess it can't hurt to ask.

There is a pretty nice 08 23lsv, black and white, on onlyinboards right now for 45k. It doesnt have the Malivue though and that is something I want. There is also a really nice looking 09 VLX with Malivue and pretty much loaded for 57k asking price.

Edited by Armyguy