Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

factory cover blows chunks

bamabonners

seriously, the factory cover blows chunks. I have had the boat since end of June and the cover is already leaking buckets and it is beginning to discolor the vinyl everwhere it touches. For a 70k boat, the cover is worth about 10 dollars. Now, I have to go spend over 800 bucks to buy a cover that actually protects the boat.

I am looking at getting a sunbrella cover from skiboatcovers.com.

seriously, the factory cover blows chunks. I have had the boat since end of June and the cover is already leaking buckets and it is beginning to discolor the vinyl everwhere it touches. For a 70k boat, the cover is worth about 10 dollars. Now, I have to go spend over 800 bucks to buy a cover that actually protects the boat.

Do a search on here for boat covers, and every thread will end with "Evolution". You won't go wrong.

I had an Evolution cover for my vride and now have the factory cover for my MB, which is made by Commercial Sewing, which I believe also makes the Malibu factory cover.

Hands down no questions the Evo cover is better. By a long shot. I've been debating whether to give Cory a call myself.

We use and sell Sunbrella covers from Great Lakes. Excellent covers, used to be offered by Malibu until someone at Commercial Sewing must have gotten their foot in the door. Now we just buy direct from Great Lakes. I don't buy any covers from Malibu.

Peter

will the evolution cover work for outside storage? unfortunately, the boat is kept in the driveway when not at the lake.

Heck ya it will work outside without question. I had one on my 99 VLX and LOVED it. It made the boat look better IMO. Cory is woking on a cover for my 2011 VLX as we speak. You won't find better customer service!

PM me if you need his cell number...also gives "Paying" members a discount!

post-6064-018990900 1316049417_thumb.jpg

Edited by srintx

Had my factory cover on my 23lsv and had quite a few problems, marking, water moisture inside and so on. Bucked up and had a cover custom made by Cory at Evolution Covers. Super happy, the angled metal clips over the rub rail are the best. Sheds water great. I'm sure there are other great companies out there, however, with every second BU crew member getting an EV cover and being very happy with it should you go anywhere else...

I had an Evolution cover for my vride and now have the factory cover for my MB, which is made by Commercial Sewing, which I believe also makes the Malibu factory cover.

Hands down no questions the Evo cover is better. By a long shot. I've been debating whether to give Cory a call myself.

still got that evolution cover!? I make you very good offer!

haha

I did my last kitchen with granite counter tops. There is no way I could ever go back to laminate. I feel the same way about my Evolution cover as compared to Commercial Sewing covers. A Commercial Sewing cover says you are making it. An Evolution cover says you have arrived.

I have both the sunbrella cover from skiboatcovers.com which came with three poles. The skiboatcover.com people are great and the cover is nice.

I bought the Evolution cover from Cory six months after getting the skiboatcover. The Evolution Cover fits like a glove, it dosen't need poles or side straps. I am not knocking the skiboatcover, its fine., but the Evolution Cover is a work of art. Had I paid attention, I would have started with the Evolution Cover.

Also, I wouldn't use the skiboatcover as a travel cover, but have no hesitation traveling with the Evolution cover on the boat.

Hey Crew, does Evolution or any other cover come with side "skirts"? My Bu sits in a boat lift year round and the sun beats on it pretty good. I have the factory cover with skirts added. I'm starting to see little tears (2009 cover and boat) plus it never really fit snug either. If rain ever got on the cover it would pool beside the back pole. (two poles) Heck any ideas on how to keep the cover from sagging??

sorry to hijack I can move the question!

I can get you a Great Lakes cover in about 2 weeks. Pick your color.

Peter

Can you post some pictures of the Great Lakes covers on a Malibu? Do they use poles? I'm interested in seeing the details of how they fit and latch down, especially around the tower and transom areas.

Hey Crew, does Evolution or any other cover come with side "skirts"? My Bu sits in a boat lift year round and the sun beats on it pretty good. I have the factory cover with skirts added. I'm starting to see little tears (2009 cover and boat) plus it never really fit snug either. If rain ever got on the cover it would pool beside the back pole. (two poles) Heck any ideas on how to keep the cover from sagging??

sorry to hijack I can move the question!

I just got off the phone with Corey at evolution covers. Wow! I know where my next cover is coming from - evolution. This guy knows his stuff and he is a really nice guy. Also, I am going to be taking a few measurements and pictures so that he can rework how the cover fits around the new towers. This should make the cover even more protective than it already is.

I asked about the skirts and Corey gave a good recommendation. He said that the evolution cover needs to sit on the boat for a few days to adjust to the boat. You could then mail it back to him and he would put in a zipper around the bottom to attach skirts or you could have a local cover builder do the same thing. He then recommended that the material for the skirts be a cheaper material - no need for sunbrella because it doesn't need to be water resistant, just uv resistant. he said he would definately recommend a zipper and not velcro.

As added insurance against sagging, Corey is going to sew in a small chrome d-ring into the back of the cover. This will allow you to attach a bungee cord from the cover to the tower. He said this will rais the cover about an inch or so - just enough to ensure that there is no sagging should you get a gutter cleaning rain.

I wish I had a storage place to put the boat, but it just didn't work out this year with my usual storage place. I have gotten quotes on a new garage, but I don't think it is in the budget right now.

Edited by bamabonners

I just got off the phone with Corey at evolution covers. Wow! I know where my next cover is coming from - evolution. This guy knows his stuff and he is a really nice guy. Also, I am going to be taking a few measurements and pictures so that he can rework how the cover fits around the new towers. This should make the cover even more protective than it already is.

I asked about the skirts and Corey gave a good recommendation. He said that the evolution cover needs to sit on the boat for a few days to adjust to the boat. You could then mail it back to him and he would put in a zipper around the bottom to attach skirts or you could have a local cover builder do the same thing. He then recommended that the material for the skirts be a cheaper material - no need for sunbrella because it doesn't need to be water resistant, just uv resistant. he said he would definately recommend a zipper and not velcro.

As added insurance against sagging, Corey is going to sew in a small chrome d-ring into the back of the cover. This will allow you to attach a bungee cord from the cover to the tower. He said this will rais the cover about an inch or so - just enough to ensure that there is no sagging should you get a gutter cleaning rain.

I wish I had a storage place to put the boat, but it just didn't work out this year with my usual storage place. I have gotten quotes on a new garage, but I don't think it is in the budget right now.

Glad it worked out!

Why dont you store the boat inside somwhere.

I could not even fathom storing our new wakesetter outdoors

Some people don't have garages that big and don't want to allow the boat out of their own property to be "stored". I fall into this category but once we build on the lake I'll be sure to build a big enough garage :) I have an evolution that's been getting made for a while now. Really hoping I get the tracking number this week.

what number did you call i have been trying to get a hold of these people for several days now. i emailed them as well. the number on the website says its disconnected when i try to call. what price should i be expecting to pay for a cover like this? thanks

what number did you call i have been trying to get a hold of these people for several days now. i emailed them as well. the number on the website says its disconnected when i try to call. what price should i be expecting to pay for a cover like this? thanks

pm sent