Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Setup's on all Malibu's

edgeski1

I am currently trying to compile a master list of all Malibu's out there for optimal surf setup.

I think this could be a great thing for the community to have as a resource on how they should set up their own boats. This will also be a great asset to the Malibu Dealers out there, so when they go on future demo's they know how to set up the boats to wow potential customers.

I'm thinking I'll start a spreadsheet with mild to wild optimal surf setups on everything we carry

I'm looking for an info you might have to help me out for:

Wake VTX wake/diamond

Wake VLX wake/diamond

Wake 23 wake/diamond

Wake 247

Ride21 (gen 2 VLX)

Ride23 (Gen 2 23lsv)

LXI

FXI

A22

A20

year, model, hull of boat

location and how much ballast used

Power or Manual Wedge location

Average Speed

Regular, Goofy

Mild= adding sac or two

Medium= at least an additional 1000#

wild= well, you be the judge

I know there are tons of variables, I'm thinking whenever a new setup shows up, having other people try it and give their reviews

Edited by edgeski1

Boat: 2007 VLX w/ wake hull

Speed (by GPS speedo): 10.8 mph

Power Wedge: All the way down

Side: Goofy (same setup for Regular, just move ballast to other side)

Stock ballast setup: Rear Stbd side & Center full

Additional ballast: 450# in bow on Stbd side, 750# in rear Stbd locker, (2) 225# on Stbd seat behind driver (replace with VAB as available)

Edited by Tao of Wake

Boat: 2011 Axis A20

Speed: (by boat cruise system): 10.0 mph

Floating Wedge deployed

Side: Regular and Goofy

Ballast: 750# sac as full as can get on top of factory hard tank in the appropriate locker and center factory ballast tank full.

Only wave there is for the A20 that I have found. Great for surface spins and decent for mild airs.

nothing in the bow?

I haven't surfed this boat, but have been told to do some bow ballast?

Boat: 2011 Axis A20

Speed: (by boat cruise system): 10.0 mph

Floating Wedge deployed

Side: Regular and Goofy

Ballast: 750# sac as full as can get on top of factory hard tank in the appropriate locker and center factory ballast tank full.

Only wave there is for the A20 that I have found. Great for surface spins and decent for mild airs.

Boat: 2007 VLX w/ wake hull & FAE

Side: Goofy

Speed: 10.8 mph

Power Wedge: One click up

Stock ballast setup: Rear Stbd side, Center full, Bow full

Additional ballast: 400# in bow on Stbd side, 400# in center walkway, 1100# in rear Stbd locker, 750# on Stbd seat behind driver (depending on VAB, this may be between 500# and 700#)

Boat: 2007 VLX w/ wake hull & FAE

Side: Regular (got this set up from LilJohn)

Speed: 11.8 mph

Power Wedge: One click up

Stock ballast setup: Rear Port side, Center full, Bow full

Additional ballast: 380 under rear Port seats, 1100# in rear Port locker, 400# under observer seat

Edited by NewMalibu

boat: 2011 Lsv diamond hull 410 hp side:starboard speed;11.8 to 12

wedge: one click up

ballast: factory center full, right side full, front half full, left tank 1/4

extras: 1100 as full as you can get it, in the locker, full 750 on the starboard seats , 155 lb fatbrick on the right side of the platform , (works better than another 400 across the back seat). wish i could get it a little longer without loosing the push! 95 hrs this year trying to perfect it, usually 4 in boat.

Here's a boat you missed: Wakesetter 23XTI

1 x 750 on the floor beside the engine and as far back as possible, it fills the walkway all the way back to the seat.

1 x 150 on the rear floor where the table would go, on the same side as the walkway.

1 x 750 is on the rear seat/side seat/on top of the other 750. so it runs fore and aft in the rear.

1 x 150 is on the seat next to the 750 to keep it from rocking too much and shifting.

I fill the rear ballast (surf side) and front ballast

Then put the adults on the surf side. One on the engine compartment seat the others in the front or observer's seat next to the driver.

Power wedge is used to help shape the wake also.

In the Picture, the squares are the 150's and the rectangles are the 750's.

post-3926-028638900 1316096652_thumb.jpg

Edited by sabre

This is the Gooffy set up on my Friend's 06 Wakesetter 23 LSV;

Factory Bow, Center, & Stb ....

Goofy Set up....

Enzo Sack (1400) in rear..

400lb...STB Seat

330 & 155 in Bow...

Wedge down...

Here is what the wake looks like from behind the boat;

This was at 12.5 -12.8 mph...No Crew for weight...

Edited by Lake Country Marine

2009 21' Vride, wake hull (same hull as 2008 Wakesetter)

Speed: 10.8

Power Wedge: NONE (stowed position)

Side: Regular, Port

Stock Ballast: ALL full, yes even non surf side (center, rear starboard & port)

Added Ballast: 500 surf side rear locker, 2-200 under port side seats, 500 surf side floor, 500 bow surf side

Addtional info:

- 500 surf side floor is not needed with 4+ people on surf side.

- same set-up for goofy/starboard side. (have to put bag under driver feet and under seat behind cooler, both may have to be half full)

- I also encourage people with this hull to try surfing without their wedge deployed. When deployed, the wave is bigger near the back of the boat, but is much slower and much softer. Surfing without the wedge deployed will lengthen your wave and firm it up dramatically. Much funner IMO.

Edited by bs001

Boat: 2010 23 LSV

Side: Regular

Speed: 10.6-12.4 mph (mostly 11.4)

Power Wedge: Down - two clicks up

Stock ballast setup: Left rear full, Center full

Additional ballast: Custom ~1400 surf sac from Bakes, 120# solid weight under sac, 280# solid weight under left console going forward to bow.

2009 21' Vride, wake hull (same hull as 2008 Wakesetter)

Speed: 10.8

Power Wedge: NONE (stowed position)

Side: Regular, Port

Stock Ballast: ALL full, yes even non surf side (center, rear starboard & port)

Added Ballast: 500 surf side rear locker, 2-200 under port side seats, 500 surf side floor, 500 bow surf side

Addtional info:

- 500 surf side floor is not needed with 4+ people on surf side.

- same set-up for goofy/starboard side. (have to put bag under driver feet and under seat behind cooler, both may have to be half full)

- I also encourage people with this hull to try surfing without their wedge deployed. When deployed, the wave is bigger near the back of the boat, but is much slower and much softer. Surfing without the wedge deployed will lengthen your wave and firm it up dramatically. Much funner IMO.

All I know is I had a blast Wed......works for me!

2005 Vride.

750 Rear Locker

500 surf side seat on floor if larger crew

300 under the seat

500 Bow surf side

500 midship stock ballast

Wedge down

11 - 11.5 mph gps

Regular. Goofy seems to require at least 700lbs less to get equivalent.

Edited by Ruffdog

2009 vlx wake hull

750 rear locker

min 10 people (kids don't count)in boat or 750 on back seat and 750 on surf side

bow ballest full

center ballest full

surf side ballest full

10.8 mph

wedge almost all the way down

This is an unreal wave

WOAH!!! Winner for most ballast! How long does it take to fill port locker?

:P

i have the 'y' valve solution from Bakes. it works fine, but since i upgraded from the 750 to the 1100, i now think i am going to try to plumb in an additional pump dedicated to the 1100. this is what lilJohn did, and i would guess that it drops the port side (factory plus 1100) from ~10-12 min, down to probably 5-8min.

i have the 'y' valve solution from Bakes. it works fine, but since i upgraded from the 750 to the 1100, i now think i am going to try to plumb in an additional pump dedicated to the 1100. this is what lilJohn did, and i would guess that it drops the port side (factory plus 1100) from ~10-12 min, down to probably 5-8min.

Your original post said 11k, I think Tyger was playing around with you.

2005 Vride.

750 Rear Locker

500 surf side seat on floor if larger crew

300 under the seat

500 Bow surf side

500 midship stock ballast

Wedge down

11 - 11.5 mph gps

Regular. Goofy seems to require at least 700lbs less to get equivalent.

Have you ever tried not using the wedge? Do you think that may eliminate the "trough" and pearling we discussed a while back? I've noticed that many power wedge users move it up a few notches. On my buddies '07 23lsv we tried it up a few notches with not much luck, then moved it up to about 50% and the wake was much much better, cleaner, more push, could ride farther back, etc. I haven't tried it yet but I wonder if we (fixed wedgers) wouldn't be better off just adding a little more weight and no wedge....?

Edited by Ndawg12

On my vride no wedge meant no push even when the wave looked awesome.

I've had the same experience with my '07 VLX and my buddy's '02 23LSV. I find that on my '07, having the wedge all the way down is the best. I've tried 1 to 3 notches up from bottom, and it just washes out the wave. I have noticed that I need enough weight (ballast + VAB) to lean the boat enough or it washes out even with the wedge all the way down. It must be the angle of the wedge (relative to the surface of the water) that is also important.

This is the Gooffy set up on my Friend's 06 Wakesetter 23 LSV;

Factory Bow, Center, & Stb ....

Goofy Set up....

Enzo Sack (1400) in rear..

400lb...STB Seat

330 & 155 in Bow...

Wedge down...

Here is what the wake looks like from behind the boat;

This was at 12.5 -12.8 mph...No Crew for weight...

Is that the stock swim platform or did you modify it???

2008 vlx Wake Hull

Regular

Stock Ballast - Rear & Center Full Front about 3/4

Fat Sac - 750 rear 400 half full under seat

people - wife, 13year old and 8 year old sitting on surf side

Speed - 10.2

Wedge - full deploy

Great wave a little steep but long enough to play... Only problem is a ledge about 1/2 way up coming off of platform on wake not a problem to ride but just bugs me...

http://gallery.me.com/kaddman/100037/IMG_1033

Edited by kaddman