Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Freaking Fishermen!

Love2Ride

So I was out wakeboarding this past weekend down at our place on Rough River Lake Kentucky, water was complete butter, the sun was out, temperature was decent. I get pulled back up after a fall, and I see a fishing boat just FLYING up right behind me. They decide at the last minute to pass us on the right, but not after I had pulled out on that side to set up for a toeside jump. So I look over my right shoulder, and there they are! The pass me at what I would say was around 45-50 mph, not 10 feet away! Their spray it my board!!!

Needless to say, I was pissed. looking back, I should have taken a nice slash into the water and sprayed the SH*! out of them and their boat. Being the Bassholes they are, they just looked at each other and smiled and kept on going.

Why do people think its okay to do that kind of crap!? What if I had caught an edge and fallen right into their path? I knew darn well that I couldn't catch up to them being a wakeboat with full ballast and wedge down. Couldn't even get there numbers.

Don't have a point to make with this story, just thought I would share.

When will they make people get a "boat license" and learn the rules of the waterway.... I still cant believe in California you can go buy a boat, have no experience or common sense and hit the water. Just makes no sense to me.... he would have killed you if he hit you in the water.... thats crazy.

I dont powerturn often, but if a boarder falls and someone is following to close behind them I will always protect the skier in the water with the boat just for this reason.

In Ohio you have to go through a certified training to be able to operate a boat.... But that is for people born after 1983... so there are still plenty of older morons that still should have to take the course!

Watch where they go... After you're done riding, setup your surf wake and roll by them about 10 feet away multiple times.... See if you can put a wave into their boat!! Or, just make a nice loop around them, and when you're surf wake meets at their boat, there's a good chance you'll make it up into their boat!!!

In Ohio you have to go through a certified training to be able to operate a boat.... But that is for people born after 1983... so there are still plenty of older morons that still should have to take the course!

:plus1: same here in WI. I'm actually one of the jerks who don't have to take a course. I've completed about half of a course, but then again I'm a safe driver.. Technically I'm part of the problem, but do plan on taking a course with the wife when things settle down. I'm hoping these laws will help out in the future.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Bummer. Had a few run ins myself & it's amazing to see stupid in person.

I'm another one of those jerks who isn't required to take the course yet...... but I have done it anyway. WA state took a completely stupid approach to it. Rather than just making it an endorsement on your driver's license like for a motorcycle or a CDL, they issued a new card, with no picture on it. So all it really means is that you took some stupid written test. No driver's test at all.... in the boat or backing a trailer....... BOTH of which should be on the test!

In fact, WA state's test is so ridiculous, you can take it online, no time limit, completely open book. A group of us literally took it on a rainy day, 4 laptops online at once, comparing answers, and drinkin margaritas. :crazy:

Some peeps are just inconsiderate - Ski boat owners, wake boat owners, fisherman, i/o owners, jet boat owners and wave runner owners. I think I have had some complaint about all of these just in the last year.

Dang man. I'm glad you weren't hurt or hit! That could have been bad.

My worst run in was a shore fisherman that was pissed that we kept washing his bait onto shore so he threw a huge treble hook lure on a baitcasting reel and casted it at me as I boarded by about 100 feet off shore after cutting out toeside. The lure went between my legs and then wrapped around my right ankle. I froze not knowing what to do and prepared for the pain of the treble hooks tearing into my calf. Luckily it bounced off my wetsuit after doing two wraps and quickly unwound and dropped back to the water. I was so mad I could taste blood. I jumped into the boat after ripping my board of and tore up the the shoreline. I flipped on the guy. He mocked me with his hand as I told him no annoying wake is worth physically harming someone on purpose. Unreal.

Dang man. I'm glad you weren't hurt or hit! That could have been bad.

My worst run in was a shore fisherman that was pissed that we kept washing his bait onto shore so he threw a huge treble hook lure on a baitcasting reel and casted it at me as I boarded by about 100 feet off shore after cutting out toeside. The lure went between my legs and then wrapped around my right ankle. I froze not knowing what to do and prepared for the pain of the treble hooks tearing into my calf. Luckily it bounced off my wetsuit after doing two wraps and quickly unwound and dropped back to the water. I was so mad I could taste blood. I jumped into the boat after ripping my board of and tore up the the shoreline. I flipped on the guy. He mocked me with his hand as I told him no annoying wake is worth physically harming someone on purpose. Unreal.

That would be the last time that guy would use that hand for months if that were me. I would have broke every finger on his hand and beat the sh*t out of his face. That is absolutely unreal. *HE* would have been tasting blood if that were me.

Edit: You're way better mannered than me. Do you have any idea what that would have done to your leg if it dug in?

Edited by wakeboarder3780

I have some of the same issues. As soon as we start surfing, like a moth to a light bulb, here come the tubers and jet skis trying to jump my wake. It wouldn't bother me so much if they would approach from the front, but these guys always come up from behind and it looks like they are trying to jump in my boat! Add a person surfing and it gets real scary! Sometimes you need more lake patrols...

Edited by WakesetterE

Back in my wakeboarding days the same thing happened to me at about 8AM, however it was a 27' Baja Outlaw that did it. Baja driver then buzzed way to close to a fisherman trolling along shore in a Ranger bass boat. As I boarded past the fisherman, he was quickly getting his gear together and then he did the SAME thing to me that the Baja did. We were literally the only three boats on that part of the river too.

However, it was soon apparent that the fisherman was chasing the Bajaman and followed him right up to the local sandbar hangout. When I arrived near the sandbar I threw the rope so I could watch what was about to happen. Sure enough, Bajaman had beached his Baja, and fisherman beached his Ranger nearby. They were both alone, and I heard fisherman yell something to the effect of nearly hitting the wakeboarder and his Ranger, and he then told Bajaman to get his head out of his a**. Bajaman then mouthed off, which prompted a beautiful right hook from fisherman to Bajaman's jaw. Bajaman fell to his knees holding his jaw, and fisherman calmy walked back to his Ranger and left.

Back in my wakeboarding days the same thing happened to me at about 8AM, however it was a 27' Baja Outlaw that did it. Baja driver then buzzed way to close to a fisherman trolling along shore in a Ranger bass boat. As I boarded past the fisherman, he was quickly getting his gear together and then he did the SAME thing to me that the Baja did. We were literally the only three boats on that part of the river too.

However, it was soon apparent that the fisherman was chasing the Bajaman and followed him right up to the local sandbar hangout. When I arrived near the sandbar I threw the rope so I could watch what was about to happen. Sure enough, Bajaman had beached his Baja, and fisherman beached his Ranger nearby. They were both alone, and I heard fisherman yell something to the effect of nearly hitting the wakeboarder and his Ranger, and he then told Bajaman to get his head out of his a**. Bajaman then mouthed off, which prompted a beautiful right hook from fisherman to Bajaman's jaw. Bajaman fell to his knees holding his jaw, and fisherman calmy walked back to his Ranger and left.

Nice! You can't fix stupid, but sometimes stupid gets what stupid deserves. :clap:

Bummer. Had a few run ins myself & it's amazing to see stupid in person.

I'm another one of those jerks who isn't required to take the course yet...... but I have done it anyway. WA state took a completely stupid approach to it. Rather than just making it an endorsement on your driver's license like for a motorcycle or a CDL, they issued a new card, with no picture on it. So all it really means is that you took some stupid written test. No driver's test at all.... in the boat or backing a trailer....... BOTH of which should be on the test!

In fact, WA state's test is so ridiculous, you can take it online, no time limit, completely open book. A group of us literally took it on a rainy day, 4 laptops online at once, comparing answers, and drinkin margaritas. :crazy:

We have a similar test in Oregon and a bunch of us took it the same way that you did, except for the margaritas (should have but didn't). Everyone that operates a powerboat in Oregon is required to have passed the test and carry their Boater Education Card on the boat. However, like others have said, passing a boater's test doesn't prevent you from doing stupid things on the water.

So I was out wakeboarding this past weekend down at our place on Rough River Lake Kentucky, water was complete butter, the sun was out, temperature was decent. I get pulled back up after a fall, and I see a fishing boat just FLYING up right behind me. They decide at the last minute to pass us on the right, but not after I had pulled out on that side to set up for a toeside jump. So I look over my right shoulder, and there they are! The pass me at what I would say was around 45-50 mph, not 10 feet away! Their spray it my board!!!

Needless to say, I was pissed. looking back, I should have taken a nice slash into the water and sprayed the SH*! out of them and their boat. Being the Bassholes they are, they just looked at each other and smiled and kept on going.

Why do people think its okay to do that kind of crap!? What if I had caught an edge and fallen right into their path? I knew darn well that I couldn't catch up to them being a wakeboat with full ballast and wedge down. Couldn't even get there numbers.

You better be careful I told you what them boys wanted to do to the wakeboarders, I met them and believe me when I tell ya I would sell the house and go somewhere a little less "fishy" or where people are scared to shoot at others! You never listen

Well, Labor Day weekend I had a local attorney buzz me in his 30+ foot Formula cruiser. I knew he was going to do it but I still let it get to me. Consequently, I gave him the #1 hand gesture and told him what I thought of him. Ever since I've felt bad that in front of a boat load of my friends I let this jerk make me act likewise. In the future, if nothing serious occurs, I'm going to laugh it off. Eventually, the idiots out there will get theirs. Maybe someday you'll see them broken down, in need of a tow and you can just smile to yourself as you ride by.

Dont do the surf wave thing! we were surfing last weekend, and some fishermen arrived and parked right next to the deep chanell we were surfing in. they saw us before they got there. All four of them used there cell phones an called the sheriff, who told me he had four seperate calls and compaints. We luckely got off with a warning and were told we should go to the lake, 45 miles away!

Few things make me go "Postal" but following my skier or jumping the wake behind them is at the top of that list. I try to avoid the conflict at first and the best way is to turn toward the shore (if you know the water). Wake jumpers usually won't follow you in close. If that doesn't work, I'll turn the boat and point directly at the boat or jet ski and make them avoid me (always leave a way out). Once they turn, I go back to my normal course. If they come back, I do it again. A couple of times of staring at me pointed straight at them usually gets the message across.

If that doesn't work, I pull the skier in and chase them down and tell them point blank that they better stay away from my boat and skier and I'm the one who decides what is too close. Most get the message by then.

I know I will probably take heat for this question, and that I don't know the whole situation, but can I ask if you saw the boat approching behind you when you started, why were you setting up for jump knowing they were behind you without having figured out their intentions. I don't want to blame you becaue I know there is stupid out there, but we have a responsibility to be safe when were behind the boat too.

I know I will probably take heat for this question, and that I don't know the whole situation, but can I ask if you saw the boat approching behind you when you started, why were you setting up for jump knowing they were behind you without having figured out their intentions. I don't want to blame you becaue I know there is stupid out there, but we have a responsibility to be safe when were behind the boat too.

I'm guessing it was a misjudgement of their speed. Not to mention the law states any boat should be > 100' away from the boat AND *any rider*. That means other boats should never be closer than 100' to your wakeboarder / skier in any direction. If the rider swung out to max pendulum and then the fishing boat encroached enough to break the 100' radius, the boat is in the wrong. If the boarder and boat are heading at each other it's kind of a toss up. I'm not sure what the ruling is if they're both heading towards each other but I would hope it would be like driving a car - pedestrians always have the right away. If the boat law isn't like that it should be, otherwise it's just going to get dangerous.

Also I think your question warrants another. Should a wakeboarder or skier have to worry about other boats hitting them? I think not. When I have wakeboarder noobs out there they can barely control themselves - they're just trying not to fall! Now we're going to say it's their duty to stay away from boats? I think not.