Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why do people ask "how fast does it go"?

wakeboarder3780

I guess it doesn't bother me.

Not everyone is knowledgeable, and to many people a faster boat is a better boat, just like a faster car or faster motorcycle, etc.

I usually respond to say that the top speed is about 45 or 50 because the boat is designed for pulling wakeboarders and skiers. IT can start a conversation.

Any many people might not understand the tractor reference, depending on what kind of tractor they drive.

post-7974-056051400 1316029345_thumb.jpg

It's like asking what gas mileage you get in your car. Doesn't matter if you drive a Geo or a Ferrari people are still going to ask.

:thumbup:

I think I am going to start telling folks my 10 month old is really only 4 months. :lol:

My mom can tell people I am only 25! :whistle:

For me, one of the most annoying (and always the first question out of their mouth is) "how fast does it go?". Am I the only one that thinks this is a really dumb question? It's a wakeboarding / ski (pick whichever fits for you) boat. Does this look like a speed boat? It's not meant for top speed. Bass boats go faster than my boat. Speed boats go fast. Wakeboard and ski boats are meant for TOWING people. Whens the last time you pulled up to a tow truck and asked them how fast it goes?

Are there legitimate reasons for this question or is this a surefire sign someone's a boat noob. It's been my impression it's the latter.

Definitely a noob or an old timer that has no idea what kind of boat it is.

When asked, "how fast does it go?", I like to reply with, "about 10 mph when I'm surfing and about 23 when I'm wakeboarding". The answer to the next question that inevitably gets asked is, "It's not a fishing boat, so I don't fish in it".

we were all boat noobs at one time.... I try not to belittle people when they ask questions .... take it as a compliment that your boat interested them enough to feel compelled to ask a question.... the one question I don't appreciate is how much did you pay for it

I've never, ever, had anyone ask me anything about my boat. Except to say something like "nice boat".

Maybe it's because I don't take it out more than twice a year. :dontknow:

Love the comment "had her up to about 80", on the highway!!!!!!!! Made me laugh out loud. Just last week I stopped at the launch to put out my bouys and dock lines and I had 4 nice retired older gents walk up to my 23 lsv and look very puzzled. They eventially asked me how many rods I could hold in those shiney racks and how I secure them down. I didn't have the heart to explain the whole surfing wakeboading thing. 5 Rods on a good day I said. They seemed impressed, walked off and I loaded my boards. I am often amazed how many people ask me where I fish. This new fangelled wakeboading boats are quite new Im told...........

My buddy with a Ranger bass boat and a 200 Evinrude was cracking off about how his boat is faster...cost less(he bought an older one used) better on gas..pulls a skier/tuber just fine...I said you're right.....wanna tie up transoms and see how many seconds it takes for me to drag the bottom of the lake with your whole boat if I dont in fact rip the stern clean off? Then he got all sensitive :cry:

The weekend before last we were at our usual spot tied to the Sundance ski dock at Lake Billy Chinook.

Two couples came by in one of the best looking Seaswirl I/O boats they ever made. It was a beautiful blue and white and was one of the best model years that Seaswirl had.

Later when we were taking Dennis 2003 Mastercraft Prostar 197 out at the boat ramp these same people were also taking their boat out of the water.

I said to them at that point, "Boy ! That is a pretty boat. " Which it was. They were shocked.

I do almost all of the towing of our boats. Dennis and I fully clean his cherry PS 197 at the end of every day with clean towels, 409, and glass cleaner. His boat and mine look brand new all of the time.

These people looked at me like I was crazy. Here is an old guy (In a cherry Duramax with fancy Weld Wheels) towing an absolutely gorgeous tournament boat who made a point of telling them how pretty their ( 10 year old ? ) Seaswirl boat is. Perplexing.

What they did not know was that I own a 20 year old blue / white Seaswirl Spyder outboard. Seaswirl Boats were manufactured within 3 miles of Lake Billy Chinook for about 45 years. There is a large concentration of Seaswirl boats in Oregon for that reason. They probably had not been complemented for a long time no matter how cherry their boat is. They assumed that the beautiful PS 197 and the cherry Duramax were both mine. Sometimes, things are not as they appear.

On a lighter note my Spyder does 55 at sea level with the Bimini top down. And about 48-49 with 3 aboard with the Bimini top up at Lake Billy elevation 1945 ASL. Once again things are not as they appear.

My buddy with a Ranger bass boat and a 200 Evinrude was cracking off about how his boat is faster...cost less(he bought an older one used) better on gas..pulls a skier/tuber just fine...I said you're right.....wanna tie up transoms and see how many seconds it takes for me to drag the bottom of the lake with your whole boat if I dont in fact rip the stern clean off? Then he got all sensitive :cry:

That is hilarious!

I usually say it goes about 25 or so. Then they ask how big of a motor? And i say V8 350hp and they just look so puzzled and walk away.

Its also like when people ask me how much it cost and i just smile and say it cost what it cost and we have lots of fun behind it