Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why do people ask "how fast does it go"?

wakeboarder3780

For me, one of the most annoying (and always the first question out of their mouth is) "how fast does it go?". Am I the only one that thinks this is a really dumb question? It's a wakeboarding / ski (pick whichever fits for you) boat. Does this look like a speed boat? It's not meant for top speed. Bass boats go faster than my boat. Speed boats go fast. Wakeboard and ski boats are meant for TOWING people. Whens the last time you pulled up to a tow truck and asked them how fast it goes?

Are there legitimate reasons for this question or is this a surefire sign someone's a boat noob. It's been my impression it's the latter.

I'm curious for those responding if you think it's a dumb question or no? also what are those boats doing that are posted in that picture, are they trying to beat the fastest skiier record or something?

Just let it go.....if you laugh at the guy it makes you out to be the jerk......people just don't know. I KNOW when I am in unfamiliar ground that I have asked dumb questions.

I just tell people its not fast.....this boat is made to pull. Think of it like a tractor. They figure it out pretty quick.

I'm curious for those responding if you think it's a dumb question or no? also what are those boats doing that are posted in that picture, are they trying to beat the fastest skiier record or something?

Ski racing used to be a fairly big deal....get a big maheraja and open er up

Catalina Water Ski Race: http://www.catalinaskirace.net/ (check out the winning / record times -- they are pretty psycho, especially considering that they are towing over open ocean water).

It doesn't help that our boats look fast sitting still, no matter still a question from a boat noob. But, it means that you have something, this someone knows nothing about but wants to tell you how bad ace it is and doesn't know what to say.... so humor them, or tell then how slow it really is...ha

I think its just one of those conversational things people say. They just know its a boat and not much else about it.

I always answer without giving any real answer. "Faster than a scalded monkey" "Faster than I can fill her up" or something more off color

When you have really young kids, people always ask how old they are? I loved to under shoot the age by half or better, the puzzled look was priceless.

Its like when you ask someone " how you been doing? or how you been feeling? Are you really ready for the true answer or were you just making small talk?

Also, most people don't expect you to say there's a V8 on board, especially in my little Echelon. "A V8, really? How many horse? 265! Wow, for that little boat. So how fast......". If I didn't know better I'd be asking the same question.

It's like asking what gas mileage you get in your car. Doesn't matter if you drive a Geo or a Ferrari people are still going to ask.

When you have really young kids, people always ask how old they are? I loved to under shoot the age by half or better, the puzzled look was priceless.

:thumbup:

I think I am going to start telling folks my 10 month old is really only 4 months. :lol:

Or maybe the person is a barefooter and wants to know if it can pull him at WFO! Not much different when people see 3-225 Mercury on the back of a ski boat. How fast? Only about 50 mph, but it can do 30 people at that speed. :)

It's like asking what gas mileage you get in your car. Doesn't matter if you drive a Geo or a Ferrari people are still going to ask.

:thumbup:

I think I am going to start telling folks my 10 month old is really only 4 months. :lol:

Try it, really fun when they have teeth and you tell them "he's right at about 4 months"

For me, one of the most annoying (and always the first question out of their mouth is) "how fast does it go?". Am I the only one that thinks this is a really dumb question? It's a wakeboarding / ski (pick whichever fits for you) boat. Does this look like a speed boat? It's not meant for top speed. Bass boats go faster than my boat. Speed boats go fast. Wakeboard and ski boats are meant for TOWING people. Whens the last time you pulled up to a tow truck and asked them how fast it goes?

Are there legitimate reasons for this question or is this a surefire sign someone's a boat noob. It's been my impression it's the latter.

:plus1: Boat noob

I had a guy ask if i had "been fish-in?"

Edited by Joe Hollywood

Or maybe the person is a barefooter and wants to know if it can pull him at WFO! Not much different when people see 3-225 Mercury on the back of a ski boat. How fast? Only about 50 mph, but it can do 30 people at that speed. :)

This is the only thing I could come up with as well. How fast do some footers need to go dale? Would be fair to assume any modern inboard with the correct prop could pull them?

I had a kid at the marina ask me the same questions the very 1st time out after buying the boat. I told him not sure i'll let you know when i get back. Sure enough he was the first one i saw after about 5 hours on the lake. He couldn't wait for me to tell him i had it up to about 45! I think he was expecting a bit more.

When I had a dog, I had people ask me everytime i took him out in public what type of dog he was and does he bit. He was a bullmastiff and one of the nicest dogs ever but apparently looked a bit menacing. After awhile i told people he was a pug with a pituitary problem and when they asked if he bites i would take a long time to think about it and answer.. well not since tuesday. Seemed to keep people at a good distance.

I still have people i take out on the boat ask how fast it goes, but i ask the D-bags with the loud a** racing boats the same questions. I guess i'm the Noob to them :)

I had a kid at the marina ask me the same questions the very 1st time out after buying the boat. I told him not sure i'll let you know when i get back. Sure enough he was the first one i saw after about 5 hours on the lake. He couldn't wait for me to tell him i had it up to about 45! I think he was expecting a bit more.

When I had a dog, I had people ask me everytime i took him out in public what type of dog he was and does he bit. He was a bullmastiff and one of the nicest dogs ever but apparently looked a bit menacing. After awhile i told people he was a pug with a pituitary problem and when they asked if he bites i would take a long time to think about it and answer.. well not since tuesday. Seemed to keep people at a good distance.

I still have people i take out on the boat ask how fast it goes, but i ask the D-bags with the loud a** racing boats the same questions. I guess i'm the Noob to them :)

Dog part is funny!!

I get the same thing... Oh it's got a v8? It must be fast! I say, well no.. it's meant for pulling, it only goes about 45 mph. They say, oh.

This is the only thing I could come up with as well. How fast do some footers need to go dale? Would be fair to assume any modern inboard with the correct prop could pull them?

Most open guys (open division) go about 45...and no, not any modern inboard will do that

I have gotten asked that question a fair bit as well. I always respond with "I've had her up to about 80". They are aways impressed till I tell them that when I was doing 80 she was on the trailer behind the truck.