Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What gas do you use in your Malibu?

shenard

145 members have voted

1. 1. What Octane rating do you use in your Monsoon?

Old topic but I have a question. I searched for the answer in old topics but couldn't find the answer. I can get ethanol free 87 gas at pacific pride near the lake I go to but not 89 or higher. I have 11' vlx with monsoon. Manual says 89. What is better ethanol free 87 or 89 with ethanol? Thanks. I always add stabil if I use 89.

Just talked with my brother in southern Mi. He reported stations are now selling 84 octane and it is not posted! I thought it was a state requirement to post the octane rating? I know in Mich it is not required to post the 10% ethanol as it is a standard now. Some stations will post if they have non ethanol fuel.

It is very common in northern Mi in the winter. Its posted as such for snowmobiling.

I have heard of many issues in the Detroit area with vehicle problems on the 84 octane.

My Monsoon calls for 89oct and that's what I run(ethanol free too). If it is gonna sit for a few weeks, I'll fill with 92 and some marine Sta-bil.

87 with ethanol, or whatever the most standard gas station variety is. 400 hrs, no problems. Run 89 or higher for the last tank before winter.

Edited by TrickyNicky

I too have the only option of 87 non-ethanol or 89 & 91 with ethanol. My manual says 89 octane, so that is what I am using with Marine Stabil. I hate toting gas cans but $4.59 on the lake verses $3.25 off the lake it just makes sense to tote the gas cans to the lake.

Indmar might call for 89 minimum across the board, but that doesn't make it necessary.

Does anyone really think a 9.4:1 N/A motor is in need of anything over regular? PCM is running the same longblock and requires 87 on their motors. I highly doubt Indmar is advancing the timing to the cutting edge on a boat motor just to require 89.

Remember, you want to run as little octane as possible without having the knock sensors pick anything up and pull timing. On the higher compression motors (and LSA), higher octane is needed. Mine calls for 93 on the motor and I'm sure will run all day on 91 without pulling timing. 91 isn't available here and most pumps are 93 with 92 found at a few stations, so I run 93 as that's what is available. 89 in my case probably would pull a bit of timing...likely not too noticable. 87 and it would run like a**.

Indmar might call for 89 minimum across the board, but that doesn't make it necessary.

Does anyone really think a 9.4:1 N/A motor is in need of anything over regular? PCM is running the same longblock and requires 87 on their motors. I highly doubt Indmar is advancing the timing to the cutting edge on a boat motor just to require 89.

Very good point. I can get 87oct ethanol free, so may give it a shot.

I have 2013 LSV w/ 450 HP LS3 427. It says 92 minimum. I have been putting recreational unleaded (non-ethanol) 93 octane - Geist Marina in Indianapolis and Sunset Marina at Dale Hallow, TN carry this. We have 30 hours on the boat and so far it has pretty much had unlimited power for everything ... I am still amazed at power ... even coming from two previous boats with 340 and 350 Indmar motors. Glad to hear what everyone has posted ....

87 ethanol most of the time. Doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer non ethanol its just not convenient. I never have issues, but the gas is never in their long enough to cause issues either.

I think as long as you use your boat there won't be a problem. If you put ethanol in there with no treatment and expect it to work a year later..... :crazy:

I am pretty sure I get more hours out of non ethanol as well but there are to many variables to know for sure.