Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What gas do you use in your Malibu?

shenard

145 members have voted

1. 1. What Octane rating do you use in your Monsoon?

Mine requires 92 octane (according to the motor sticker), and 93 according to the Indmar owner's manual.

That said, you are rocking an old-school SBC; I'd hope they wouldn't be requiring more than regular with it, maybe mid-grade.

Edited by Nitrousbird

Mine requires 93 but I found it runs better on 89, hardly anybody uses 93 so its older gas sitting in the ground at the stations , my engine would spark knock on 93 and loose power , with 89 its never done that.

I run non-ethenol 93. There is a station right next to the boat launch that sells it so it stays pretty fresh. Costs me a little more at the pump but I don't have to deal with keeping a 30$ bottle of startron in my truck.

My boat runs great on it.

We run 89 because that's what the marine we store the boat at has at the pump.

More importantly, I used this in my last VLX and in our new one!

:plus1: Ours has the LCR 320 (great engine BTW). We run 89 because it is what the manual says to run. i also add sta-bil.

Edited by bamabonners

I don't have a Monsoon, but my engine, 1997 Merc Black Scorpion, calls for 91 so I have alway's used premium. Recently I started using non oxygenated when at all possible. I have a station not too far so its not much of a hassle.

There seems to be a lot of differen't information about the ethanol in boat engines, especially older one's. So I feel I am playing it safe. If I can't find it I always put in marine stabil same as srintx.

Edited by bretski75

I use the 'cheap' stuff in the summer when we burn thru it quicker. I run mid grade +marine stabil in the off season since it generally sits longer between tanks. Monsoon 350/07 VLX

I try to only use name brand gas. I got a new fuel pump at about 20 hours. Unknown cause but it was after using a grocery store's pumps. First time I had ever used them - and the last. I don't know if that's what the cause was, but I don't want to find out now that I'm out of warranty. :)

only gas available on my lake is 91 marine grade so that's what I use. Used to tote down 3 five gallon tanks every weekend, but that got old, plus having gas cans sitting next to my 1 and 3 year olds during the 1 1/2 hour drive to the lake didnt' seem right.

340 Monsoon on the 06 23 LSV, been running 87 all summer since I got it end of last season. No issues yet and don't plan to change anything. Then again I'm not exactly an engine nut. *shrug* workin for me so far.

I run 87 non ethanol in my 8.1L- it is the only non- ethanol that I have found- ran the same in my previous boat with no problems. Not sure what the effects of ethanol really are, but also heard too many bad things to try.

I've been running 87 in mine since I got it.

275 hp Merc carburetered engine.

I use Stabil in the winter and a can or two of Sea Foam in the spring and she runs like a top.

Mine requires 93 but I found it runs better on 89, hardly anybody uses 93 so its older gas sitting in the ground at the stations , my engine would spark knock on 93 and loose power , with 89 its never done that.

You do realize that 89 is nothing more than a blend of the 87 and the 91-93 tank (depending on station). They don't have a seperate 89 tank, so you are still putting that supposed "old" gas in your tank running 89.

Gas is expensive enough in the first place!

Average boat gets ~ 50 hours of use per year.

4 gallons per hour burn rate = 200 gallons / year

89 is 15¢ / gallon more than 87

That equals a $ 30.00 per year price difference

You paid how much for your boat? :crazy:

Not sure about the older Malibu's that ran Mercruisers but every Indmar engine manual I've ever seen (or heard about) called for 89 for the base engines (carbies, LCR's, and monsoons) and premium for Hammerheads and above. Even if you're surfing with a ton of ballast and double the burn rate, you're still talking about $ 60.00 per year. It just seems stoopid™ to spend all that $$$$ for a really nice boat with a hi-perf engine and then cheap out on the fuel. :Doh: