Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Phil Soven's MXZ

rennis

not me. I don't like the look of it at all. It doesn't look very sleek - looks "thick" and blah. Looks like an x-star (not the new one) that had a bad reaction and is swollen up.

And... when can we see this boat in a different color scheme?!

Edited by bamabonners

not me. I don't like the look of it at all. It doesn't look very sleek - looks "thick" and blah. Looks like an x-star (not the new one) that had a bad reaction and is swollen up.

And... when can we see this boat in a different color scheme?!

No kidding...

We took this boat out last Friday, it's not the same color scheme you've been seeing. Yes it's red and black, but it's different from the one showing up in the promo's. I think your prospective of it not being sleek may change when you see it in person. For us it's all about the wakeboard wake and this is our next boat...ours may be black, but with a different color accent.

They had the MXZ, a new 247, and Brian Grubb's all black 23LSV on the water and they all looked great!

295719_2339835345505_1538571134_32506887_136715864_n.jpg

311618_2339860306129_1538571134_32506914_386739123_n.jpg

I will say it's grown on me as well - especially with the x-star unveiling i definitely like the look of the M better. I agree that it would be nice to see a different color scheme. I know another poster pointed out some differences between the schemes but red and black is all i see. Would love to see any other colors out there ;) Ultimately for me I'm still digging the traditional noses, but who knows maybe over time these will really grow on me.

For me i really like the look from inside the boat, it's just from the front of the boat they look kind of goofy to me. Maybe they could do something different with the outer hull lines to make it look more appealing, not sure how to describe it though. Just seems a little chunky? Maybe if i saw it in person i'd change my opinion.

We took this boat out last Friday, it's not the same color scheme you've been seeing. Yes it's red and black, but it's different from the one showing up in the promo's. I think your prospective of it not being sleek may change when you see it in person. For us it's all about the wakeboard wake and this is our next boat...ours may be black, but with a different color accent.

They had the MXZ, a new 247, and Brian Grubb's all black 23LSV on the water and they all looked great!

295719_2339835345505_1538571134_32506887_136715864_n.jpg

311618_2339860306129_1538571134_32506914_386739123_n.jpg

How much different is the wake than the VLX? My dealer said it was the exact same hull design as the VLX just with a picklefork? do you know the weight of the boat? more ballast than the vlx? maybe more bow weight because of the added picklefork? If you look at the hull, it appears to be identical to the VLX, both from front and rear views. The draft looks a little higher, any specs out on the boat?

Edited by Fman

I will say it's grown on me as well - especially with the x-star unveiling i definitely like the look of the M better.

I was thinking the same thing. All I have to do is look at the new X-star for a little bit and the MXZ starts to look way better. I think it looks pretty good in this picture since it's low in the water (from the extra ballast) and the nose doesn't look so big and bulky.

319495_10150297003468547_129631353546_8145333_540696128_n.jpg

I'm diggin it! Think they nailed it for style points.

I'm not so sure I like the ladder in the front idea but I'd have to see it in action before I totally make up my mind!

I'm looking forward to seeing some other color schemes............

Edited by viking

How much different is the wake than the VLX? My dealer said it was the exact same hull design as the VLX just with a picklefork? do you know the weight of the boat? more ballast than the vlx? maybe more bow weight because of the added picklefork? If you look at the hull, it appears to be identical to the VLX, both from front and rear views. The draft looks a little higher, any specs out on the boat?

I can tell you after being out in the boat only 45 minutes the hull is not the same. We had 9 adults (est 1500#) in the boat, 1300 factory ballast, the wedge running 25%, and the wake was as big or bigger than our VLX running an extra 2500 pounds. My son described it as being steeper, but still having nice long ramps - cross between the XStar and CC 230. I've had an '09 and '11 VLX and they are great boats for beginners through pro's. I don't know how versatile this boat will be, but for us it fits the bill and I still think the VLX is a great boat.

The Soven boat must have gotten out of the factory without the rear badge and warning labels. It was my understanding they ran it at the dealers meeting in TN earlier last week and had 24 hours when I drove it.

If remember correctly here are the specs:

Length 22'3" vs 21"6" VLX

Beam 102" vs 100"

Draft 27" vs 24"

Weight 4000 vs 3550

Fuel 50 gal vs 48

I can tell you after being out in the boat only 45 minutes the hull is not the same. We had 9 adults (est 1500#) in the boat, 1300 factory ballast, the wedge running 25%, and the wake was as big or bigger than our VLX running an extra 2500 pounds. My son described it as being steeper, but still having nice long ramps - cross between the XStar and CC 230. I've had an '09 and '11 VLX and they are great boats for beginners through pro's. I don't know how versatile this boat will be, but for us it fits the bill and I still think the VLX is a great boat.

The Soven boat must have gotten out of the factory without the rear badge and warning labels. It was my understanding they ran it at the dealers meeting in TN earlier last week and had 24 hours when I drove it.

Beam 102" vs 100"

Draft 27" vs 24"

Weight 4000 vs 3550

Fuel 50 gal vs 48

Thats cool, it definitely is growing on me, would be nice to see some other colors on the water, seems like red/black is all they have produced with pics. The length, wider beam and extra 450 lbs plus the 3" in draft all could definitely play a factory into the wake. Make sure and throw up some pics when you guys get it in, and congrats on the MXZ being you next boat. After the new X-star reveal, the MXZ looks even better.

So true. I was actually going to make a new thread about the MXZ i got to look in at my local dealer today but ill just do it here.

This is the actual boat i was in. First off im not crazy about the colors but thats okay because it was still cool to check out the new boat. Well the bow area is absolutely HUGE. Im 5' 11" and sat very very comfortably in the front with lots of room to spare. You could easily fit 3 or 4 adults up there or put all of your kids upfront. Moving back the dash is still the same except underneath is a USB plug so you can plug in the iPod right here and control it from the drivers seat (not sure if the 2011 have this or not, dont remember from last time i looked). From the drivers seat on the starboard side near the floor Malibu filled it in with plastic so you can put some little things down there in the little compartments. The ice chest seemed a little bigger compared to our 2010 VLX. In the back corner on the starboard side underneath the cushion next to the transmission they have put what looked like a removable trash can that goes down through the floor so its a decent size. The rest of the interior is still the same compared to a VLX or 23 LSV. Going back toward the transom the ski lockers were definitely smaller because of the surf seats above the swim platform and im not sure if we could put our surfboards in there like we do and some of our wakeboards... The floor wasnt carpeted in the ski lockers but also the salesman said the entire boat is built a little different. Something like its inlayed so its stronger. I didnt notice any of the stickers that say "This compartment was not designed for ballast!" or whatever it says so maybe its stronger now? You can access the ski lockers easy from standing on the swim platform easily through the surf seats that lift up to get your rope or helmet etc. Overall awesome boat! And looked 100 times better in person and alot sleeker looking. For us the surf seats would be inconvenient because we dont surf that much but it would be nice for lounging or whatever and there are a cup holder one either side for each person.

Also our salesman said that they have new ballast pumps going in which are a higher rated GPH and also increased the hole size from 1/2 inch to 1 inch for the holes in the hull and the diameter of the hoses and it takes about half the time to fill and drain.

Last thing is there is a new technology they are coming out with and lets say for example you are going wakeboarding and you really like to get pulled out of the hole nice and slow and dont like the feeling of your arms ripped off. Well you get someone who normally pulls you to pull you how you like to get up and then you can save it to your profile so everytime you go wakeboarding you will get pulled out the exact same everytime. I believe this is on all 2012 models but they are only putting this on 2012's that are ordered after October

i still don't understand wanting more room for people in the bow. everyone wants to be where the party is, and that's in the cockpit. not to mention putting more people in front of the helm = less visibility for the captain. :crazy:

Edited by MARiley

i still don't understand wanting more room for people in the bow. everyone wants to be where the party is, and that's in the cockpit. not to mention putting more people in front of the helm = less visibility for the captain. :crazy:

For us all the girls sit up front and talk. Guess its just a matter of preference :)

Also very easy to see for me if someone sits right infront of me facing forwards

The bow is my favorite seat on the boat. My kids love it too, it's just a matter of preference. Then again, our boat doesn't get used much for parties.

Beam 102" vs 100"

Draft 27" vs 24"

Weight 4000 vs 3550

Fuel 50 gal vs 48

Thanks for all the great info, please share more pictures and experiences with the boat as you get them.

I remember when the Axis A22 came out some of those in-the-know (I believe it was Chatt) said that the A22 design was slightly modified from the VLX hull so that it had less lift at speed, making a nicer wakeboard wake (but less versatile for skiing as expected). It sounds like the MXZ may also have a hull based on the VLX that has been designed more towards wakeboarding and could be closer to what's under the A22. Especially since the A22 also has a draft of 27" and everybody raves about how good the wake is.

I agree, all the Malibu's throw such a great wake it has to be a variation of what's proven. As mentioned above the boats in October will have the high-flow ballast and the rider pull-up feature, that will be part of a Malibu GPS speed control. Also offered will be a new Fusion Aquamat instead of carpet and it is different from the Axis mat. On the MXZ you will be albe to order an extra pair of pull-up cleats on the bow. Some new graphics are going to be offered on the Wake Setter lineup, but I have not heard if these are available for the MXZ. The MXZ will be offered with the Classic gel pattern sometime soon.

I don't have the realaionship that many of you do with former Malibu employees and that is a difficult situation if you knew them personally. I do know the current team is enthusiastic about Malibu and that is good news moving forward. I'm sure many of you have seen this, but will post for those who have not.

Malibu News Release

I agree, all the Malibu's throw such a great wake it has to be a variation of what's proven. As mentioned above the boats in October will have the high-flow ballast and the rider pull-up feature, that will be part of a Malibu GPS speed control. Also offered will be a new Fusion Aquamat instead of carpet and it is different from the Axis mat. On the MXZ you will be albe to order an extra pair of pull-up cleats on the bow. Some new graphics are going to be offered on the Wake Setter lineup, but I have not heard if these are available for the MXZ. The MXZ will be offered with the Classic gel pattern sometime soon.

I don't have the realaionship that many of you do with former Malibu employees and that is a difficult situation if you knew them personally. I do know the current team is enthusiastic about Malibu and that is good news moving forward. I'm sure many of you have seen this, but will post for those who have not.

Malibu News Release

Its cool they got Kevco on board. He really knows whats up especially for the wakeboarding aspect side of things.

Comments about the MXZ on my FB page today:

Glad y'all like it. I got it weighted down and and the best way to describe it is all the good things of the shape of the old VLX wake mixed with the crispness of the new VLX hull. It's bigger, smoother, cleaner, doesn't chime lock, all around this is a pretty bad a** boat. I definitely suggest it.

Beam 102" vs 100"

Draft 27" vs 24"

Weight 4000 vs 3550

Fuel 50 gal vs 48

The hull is a combo of VLX (rear) and 23 (entry).