Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this hull damage?

BC Bushman

Multiple issues with my 2003 23LSV, but... any thoughts on these photos? Anybody see any evidence of a hit - big or small, or comments on the marks generally?

What would cause the rings / scoring on the shaft?

Thank you

Something was wrapped around the shaft.

Insert sarcastic comment here.

Tee Hee - probably shouldn't post what my co-worker inserted for a sarcastic comment :lol:

How about the hull? I know it's not a full picture but any thoughts on how serious a hit?

Looks to me like the boat snagged a channel marker buoy chain/cable and slung it around the prop and or drive shaft.

It's supposed to be a fresh water boat. I guess it could still be from a dock chain.

Generally a bad hit will cause stress cracks which are a much bugger concern than a few nicks, but something got flung around pretty bad down there.

Colored hull also makes that stuff stand out, on a white hull you wouldn't see most of that stuff.

It's supposed to be a fresh water boat. I guess it could still be from a dock chain.

If it's been run on a river or chain of lakes. there are often channel marker buoys

You didn't find anything wrapped around the shaft or stuck in the propeller? Did you hear any noises or did you just pull it out of the water and happened to see all of that damage?

If it's your boat, wouldn't you know if it's a freshwater boat? Did you just buy this boat and then discover the damage? Do you have any more info or background story?

If it's your boat, wouldn't you know if it's a freshwater boat? Did you just buy this boat and then discover the damage? Do you have any more info or background story?

I was told by the guy who sold it to me that it was used in fresh water only. I discovered the damage when I took it into another dealer for a possible trade.

The guy who sold it to me said one of the best things about the boat was that the hull was in great condition - "a 9 out of 10" in his words. Now I'm stuck with this and of course the guy who sold it says its nothing and the dealer says its a big hit. I don't know enough about it so I'm trying to decide what to do.

Thanks to everybody for their comments.

I was wondering about those bolts / screws as well. Its a V drive so no HDS right. I've never seen that before.

My boat is one year pre HDS and has those screws, sans damage. Must have a shaft log

My boat is one year pre HDS and has those screws, sans damage. Must have a shaft log

I'm a techie newbie and you've lost me - can you explain what you mean about the screws, HDS and shaft log? You can't insult me about my lack of knowledge - all info is greatly appreciated...

I was wondering about those bolts / screws as well. Its a V drive so no HDS right. I've never seen that before.

I'm a techie newbie and you've lost me - can you explain what you mean about the screws, HDS and shaft log? You can't insult me about my lack of knowledge - all info is greatly appreciated...

96 the came out with HDS which is what your boat has

Question at hand is WTH are the screws in the bottom of this red boat for? Are they original, or some kind of repair? Do other boats have these around the driveshaft, cause I haven't seen that before.

Question at hand is WTH are the screws in the bottom of this red boat for? Are they original, or some kind of repair? Do other boats have these around the driveshaft, cause I haven't seen that before.

no way are those screws oem.

none are of the same depth.

none are deep enough to keep glass and/or gelcoat coverage.

this is a home brew repair that ran off into the weeds.

no way are those screws oem.

none are of the same depth.

none are deep enough to keep glass and/or gelcoat coverage.

this is a home brew repair that ran off into the weeds.

My boat came from the factory exactly like that but w/o damage The screws, hole pattern are the same, Mine is clean because I have no damage.