Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heatercraft Install

tankdc

Surfed the forums and didn't see an answer.

Can you install a Heatercraft unit vertically vs horizontally? Ordered a 3 outlet unit and got a 4 outlet unit that is huge (my fault) theres no room under the drivers dash to lay it flat. Can mount it vertically with no problem and have the Y adapter to help with water flow. Hunting for other options and sent Dan an email but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks

Craig T.

Biggest issue for me is that the hose inlet & outlet be near the bottom of the core so that when your draining it, gravity can do it on it's own (rather than having to flush it or use air pressure).

I installed Prestone radiator flush Ts in the heater hoses down in the bilge area (at their lowest point). Then all I have to do is remove the two caps to drain the heater & that side of the engine. I believe there is a How-To in the DIY section of this site on how to use garden hose quick release fittings. Either method allows you to winterize without any tools & very quickly.

I installed one under the glovebox of a 205 years ago. Worked fine & there was way more room to work with.

And don't beat yourself up, the 3 outlet and 4 outlet are the same size, or at least they use the same size heater core..

I'm assuming you've taken out the black plastic thing in the footwell and looked up to see if there's any room up there?

Also, another option is to buy the longer mounting brackets and rotate the heater 90 degrees.

Here's the link:

http://www.heatercraft.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=H201XL

Biggest issue for me is that the hose inlet & outlet be near the bottom of the core so that when your draining it, gravity can do it on it's own (rather than having to flush it or use air pressure).

That's the only real thing you need to worry about it, we use compressed air to drain them anyways just to make sure all the water is out.

-Paul

Sweet! I didn't think it would be a problem but thought I'd ask just in case. Will mount hose fittings at the bottom and check out the link above.

Thanks all!