Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

350 monsoon running hot

New to the malibu crew... 2001 vlx sunsetter Vdrive

Basic issue is temperature. When first started the boat will warm to about 150-160 and maintain normal operating temp for a short time. During this time i have full power, seems all normal. After, the temp will rise to just over 160- (to about) 175 and as stated in the manual the boat will limit RPMs. I changed the water pump and had a few leaks in some lines, this seemed to help keep the temp "normal". Also the temp will fluctuate between 160 and 175 while under load (thermostat?). I have the boat out of the water due to Irene ... i was going to inspect the inlet for the pump for debris.

Also oil pressure alarm was sounding. Tranny oil levels normal. And it sounded even when temp was normal. Oil pressure was reading normal as well. I unplugged the sensor and it didn't seem to make any difference in performance (as above).

Edited by napa

When you say the water pump was changed, which water pump? The "raw" one? That is the one that picks up directly from the lake. The circulating pump, is the one like on a car.

I'd change the thermostat regardless. Also, check the output side of the raw water pump. The output of that pump should go to the transmission cooler, where debris can get caught.

I'd also inspect the raw water pump impellar. They can go bad easily, and if they do, the debris often gets caught on the inlet side of the transmission cooler.

Have you started the engine dry, out of water? The raw water pump impellars sometimes will only last a moment before they fry from being dry.

Steve B.

Thank you all for the advice. I have changed the raw water pump already, got the puller and impeller off bakes. That thermostat is indmar specific?

got the day off today to work on this :rockon:

mine does the same thing ( 2000 lsv23). warms up to 160 but operates from 160-175 but i have no alarms and no loss of power. Mine will ease up to 175 and then go back down to 160. used to freak me out but i think its normal from what ive read. i changed the impellar and thermostat but it still does it. i never run mine hard...at all

mine does the same thing ( 2000 lsv23). warms up to 160 but operates from 160-175 but i have no alarms and no loss of power. Mine will ease up to 175 and then go back down to 160. used to freak me out but i think its normal from what ive read. i changed the impellar and thermostat but it still does it. i never run mine hard...at all

We ride a lot but iv never really ran it hard either. The boat has never ran above 160 before and only has about 550hrs on it. Fluctuating temp makes me think thermostat.