Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Propeller ventilation

Pistol Pete

So,

Believe it or not, I read the first two chapters of the Clymer manual.

They have a very good section on how propellers work and cavitation and ventilation.

After reading that ventilation is caused when the prop 'sees' air (out of the water), I started thinking, maybe it's not a good idea to purposely dirve behind someone else's airated water just for the bennefit of the smoother ride.

What do you guys think?

Makes sense I guess. I'm pulling from my past experience with pwc racing (oops, did I just admit that). The guy in front has clean water, and the guys behind have aerated water and it's harder to get the pump to load up as well (pump/impeller system vs. prop).

Although I doubt it really causes a problem for you unless you are glued to the tail of someone, which isn't safe. If your following at a safe distance, I think the prop wash is a non issue by the time you get to it. You're just using the lead boat to clean up the wakes for you. The end result would be a pitted prop. I really doubt it will be an issue, unless you have cavitation from another source.

hard as it is to agree with a former jet ski racer, I'll go with what vette said. At least he's taken the first step in coming out of the closet.

I don't think there would be air left in the prop wash, at a normal following distance. It would have all risen to the top -

Buuuut - if you are directly in the prop wash, there may be some margional loss of efficiency due to the prop operating in turbulant water - Just follow off to the side slightly ;) should be clear and smooth between the prop wash and the wake

Everthing you guys are saying makes good sense. I'll try to remember it next time I'm in some form of a boat race with my Malibu.

Until then I'll follow the guy at a safe distance so he can continue to break the chop. Biggrin.gif

hard as it is to agree with a former jet ski racer

Well, we all grow up at some point. Not that I don't still take a ride every now and then. Innocent.gif

My user ID takes my two passions in life and puts them together. And if you say it real fast, it kinda sounds like....you get the idea.

After reading that ventilation is caused when the prop 'sees' air (out of the water), I started thinking, maybe it's not a good idea to purposely dirve behind someone else's airated water just for the bennefit of the smoother ride.

What do you guys think?

Can't believe it would be a problem. How does the water under the lead boat get "aerated?" The trailing water is not clean, to be sure, but I can't imagine an inboard boat ventilating by riding in that water; nor should there be enough disturbance to cavitate, IMHO. An I/O with drive trimmed out (or with the anti-ventilation plate broken off) can suck air from the surface like a whirlpool. An inboard would have to leave the surface or be in one heck of a leaning turn.

My user ID takes my two passions in life and puts them together.

You treat animals that have been injured while you were skiing??? ;)

I just thought he was a big fan of hockey... Wayne what's his name.... Biggrin.gif

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll just follow off to one side of the lead boat's wake. Just so my prop isn't 'seeing' the lead's prop wash.

Ohhh, you're so close. I'm actually a polish veterinarian. Well, maybe in a previous life.

Ohhh, you're so close. I'm actually a polish veterinarian. Well, maybe in a previous life.

Well, then, obviously you know why the Polish end everything in S-K-I. It's because they can't spell toboggan. AH, hah, hah, hah.