Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

water in the vdrive

BC Bushman

Hi all, I've got a 2003 Wakesetter 23LSV that has a milky-white oil and water mix in the vdrive. I'm not sure how long its been like this, but does anybody have any thoughts on how long is too long before the vdrive is damaged to the point where it needs replacement?

Also, I'm looking at a 2008 Wakesetter 23LSV - any thoughts on what to watch out for? Known problems?

Thanks!

Years ago we had a boat that had the plug left in and the cover failed while in storage. It sat for months with water in the motor. I pulled the pan to clean it out and never had an issue in the 5 years after that. I think that you will be fine with a couple flushes.

Years ago we had a boat that had the plug left in and the cover failed while in storage. It sat for months with water in the motor. I pulled the pan to clean it out and never had an issue in the 5 years after that. I think that you will be fine with a couple flushes.

Thanks for your input. I just don't know enough about this and I'm caught between two mechanics - one who says I need I new vdrive because its had water in it for 3 months, and one who says just change the oil.

Thanks for your input. I just don't know enough about this and I'm caught between two mechanics - one who says I need I new vdrive because its had water in it for 3 months, and one who says just change the oil.

In my opinion, there's no need to replace anything until it breaks. Change the fluid, run it a little bit, change it again, repeat until no more sign of water and see how it's doing. I bet you're fine.

In my opinion, there's no need to replace anything until it breaks. Change the fluid, run it a little bit, change it again, repeat until no more sign of water and see how it's doing. I bet you're fine.

:plus1:

It may take 5 or more changes to stop getting a milk shake, but that's the way its done

All great feedback - thanks SOOOO much.

Is there some kind of service, like replacing a gasket or seal, that can be done to prevent water getting in there again?

Well do you even know how it got in there in the first place? How long you had boat?

Nice pic, btw.

Its new to us in July this year, and its been nothing but problems - almost sank, failed ECM, lots of things rattling, found out the hull was hit...

The water either got in there ages ago before I bought it and its been sitting like that for a while, or about 3 months ago when we took on water (on the maiden voyage) when a cooling hose was shooting water into the bilge. So I'm guessing more likely the latter. I know very little about boats and how it could get in, but from what I've been told it seems unlikely that the water got high enough in the bilge to do that. It was high enough for my wife to put our son on another boat for safety, and for the engine to have a hard time running. When we got to shore it took about 10 minutes of water coming out the plugs full bore to drain.

Nice pic, btw.

Its new to us in July this year, and its been nothing but problems - almost sank, failed ECM, lots of things rattling, found out the hull was hit...

The water either got in there ages ago before I bought it and its been sitting like that for a while, or about 3 months ago when we took on water (on the maiden voyage) when a cooling hose was shooting water into the bilge. So I'm guessing more likely the latter. I know very little about boats and how it could get in, but from what I've been told it seems unlikely that the water got high enough in the bilge to do that. It was high enough for my wife to put our son on another boat for safety, and for the engine to have a hard time running. When we got to shore it took about 10 minutes of water coming out the plugs full bore to drain.

Did the ecm fail after that episode? if so, you apparently got a lot of water in there. all your fluids should have been changed immediately. Doesn't change the fact that until your vdrive "breaks", you don't need to change it as a preventative measure. Get some new fluid in there and see how it does.

Who sold you the boat? anyone with you on maiden voyage?

Did the ecm fail after that episode? if so, you apparently got a lot of water in there. all your fluids should have been changed immediately. Doesn't change the fact that until your vdrive "breaks", you don't need to change it as a preventative measure. Get some new fluid in there and see how it does.

Who sold you the boat? anyone with you on maiden voyage?

We suspect the ECM failed from the water, but proving it...? My wife and son were with me.

I'm trying to give the guy who sold it to me a chance to redeem himself - so I'll hold off on names for now. I don't think Malibu LLC would be happy with him though.

We suspect the ECM failed from the water, but proving it...? My wife and son were with me.

I'm trying to give the guy who sold it to me a chance to redeem himself - so I'll hold off on names for now. I don't think Malibu LLC would be happy with him though.

Could you see water on the floor of the boat?

Could you see water on the floor of the boat?

He pulled it out of the water to drain it. All the water is then high on the motor when it is lifting up the ramp. The safest bet (if the bilge can keep up) is to drain with the bilge pump on the water.

He pulled it out of the water to drain it. All the water is then high on the motor when it is lifting up the ramp. The safest bet (if the bilge can keep up) is to drain with the bilge pump on the water.

He didn't say that, he just said he got it to shore.

It was a double whammy - the bilge pump failed too :Frustrated: We weren't sure if it was going to sink so we just got 'er out of the water. My wife really pumped the hand pump hard though!!!

We stopped for a bite to eat, then when we started moving again we noticed a trickle of water running from the front of the boat (from the access to the forward ballast tank) to the rear passenger area.

We stopped for a bite to eat, then when we started moving again we noticed a trickle of water running from the front of the boat (from the access to the forward ballast tank) to the rear passenger area.

...and then, was floor wet? IF you pulled it out with that much water I would say that vdrive almost certainly got water in it then.

...and then, was floor wet? IF you pulled it out with that much water I would say that vdrive almost certainly got water in it then.

The carpet was wet in some spots, but not lots.

You're quite likely right. We tried to drain water at the boat ramp while I ran to get the trailer.